SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here are a couple of groups that I've shot with my 716 using Hornady Match Grade 168's. It is also what I broke the barrel in with.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Broke mine in with ZQI from walmart and some Indian surplus ball from the 70's. No sense using the good stuff till you get near a hundred rounds off without issue.
Clean it well before use and use a little extra lube for the break-in.
Enjoy the beast and shoot the **** out of it!

Reactions: black squirrel

·
Registered
294 Posts
Broke mine in with ZQI from walmart and some Indian surplus ball from the 70's. No sense using the good stuff till you get near a hundred rounds off without issue.
Clean it well before use and use a little extra lube for the break-in.
Enjoy the beast and shoot the **** out of it!
^^^ agree with this^^^
My Wal-Mart has the ZQ for less than $10 a 20 ct. box, or should I say "had". Buy cheap til she breaks in and run really wet. A lot of these guys like lube/oil but mine seems to runs best with grease... also I had some grouping issues with mine and it had to be sent back to SIG for repair. they never really told me what they did but it came back with the attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Welcome to the site.
I've always had the best luck with 7.62 AR style rifles using ammo with nato profile bullets. Long and pointed no short soft point ammo. Some will work some will not with soft points.
Ballistic tips for hunting.

·
Registered
157 Posts
good shooting if the rifle likes the 168 and accuracy is your desire keep feeding the ammo , always good to hear about a happy 716 shooter

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome!

Which model will you be getting? We'd like photos and a range report when you get around to it :)

FYI, I've run mostly Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain Sierra Match King BTHP in my SSG-3000 (Sig 308 bolt), seems good so far. Have read my gun may prefer something a little heavier (e.g. the 175 grain SMK), but it's wearing a 24" barrel with a twist that measures about 1 in 11". From what I can see the 716 has a 12", 16" or 18" barrel, all with 1 in 10" twist, so maybe the 168 will perform even better for you?

Best of luck!
Bruce.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My first rounds ran through my 716 Patrol were Federal - American Eagle 150 gn FMJ-BT's. Ran like rain. Due to Sig's rep of precision engineering and tight specs / tolerances, I ran the firearm a bit wetter than I normally would. Helps of course with function but helps move any metal debris byproduct when running a brand new weapon. Welcome and enjoy that fine machine. GO STATE !!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine eats anything I feed it reloads with 150 corelokts and all.Grouping has benn OK for a battle rife trigger about 3" at 100yrds.I'm waiting on an ELF trigger for it and that should tighten things up a bunch.I'll post those groups when I get to the range after the install.
Be sure to clean it well,bolt,buffer spring ETC and apply some lube,I use Mobil 1 like I have for several years on my impingement guns so far in about 350 rounds only one bobble.It was a failure to fire as the bolt was not in battery.Factory load and I never did figure out the cause,Placed it in the mag and she went bang the next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts