SIG Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello the house. The 10 day wait on my new Sig 522 SWAT is almost up and I've been thinking about what type of optic to put on it. I have a number of other rifles and all have magnified scopes on them. I'm very comfortable and familiar with that setup but I kind of want something different for this rifle. I'm thinking red dot. The 522 will be a range & plinking firearm for me and my son and daughter. I'm not using it to "train" for anything - just to have fun. That said, I do appreciate quality and I demand reliability (hence the selection of the Sig in the first place). I want to be able to hit small targets - like charcoal briquets, potatoes, paper cups full of water, chunks of ice, etc. out to 50 - 75 yards without the sight being a hindrance Somewhat in contradiction to that, I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on a sight for this rifle. I've been eyeing red dots from Primary Arms, Vortex, Bushnell, etc. - the usual "value priced" suspects. One that has caught my eye, though, is the Lucid HD7. Reviews seem pretty positive, I like the choice of reticles, and the price seems reasonable. Does anybody here have experience with this sight? My primary worry about it is that it will sit too high on the rifle to allow a good cheek weld. No shops around here have one to check out in person so I really have no way of checking it out in person short of ordering one.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I went with a cheap Chinese 3x9 well less than ~$100. I use this rifle a lot and may get a better optic at some point. For now I use it for training drills and it gets banged around a lot. I would rather save the money for a high quality optic for one of my other larger caliber rifles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all. I really appreciate the input. For now, I may put a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 that I have on my AMT 25/22 on the Sig. I'd really like to put a decent red dot on it at some point, though, if for no other reason than I don't have one on any of my other rifles and they seem like a fun option for plinking. Looking at the Lucid HD7 (but concerned about how high it sits above the rail on its built-in mount), the Vortex Sparc2 and the Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot. The non-magnified dots just leave me a little concerned about hitting small targets out at 75+ yards. Maybe the solution is to go QD with both the scope and the red dot mounts and use whatever best fits how I'll be shooting on that day! Now....to convince the wife....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I went ahead and ordered a Vortex Spitfire (1X) for my new 522. I have the Nikon ProStaff Target EFR 3-9X40 on a set of QD rings as well, so I can switch back and forth between magnified and non-magnified optics depending on how I'm shooting. I suspect I'll probably use the Vortex more often than the Nikon, though, for plinking out in the woods and so forth. Regarding the rifle, I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with the overall build quality of the thing, now that I've gotten to really handle it and break it down.

Once I get the Spitfire mounted and spend some time shooting with it, I'll come back with my impressions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Posted in another spot, but I took the 522 out for the first time today. So happy with it. Sighted in the Nikon scope and was able to pull together some decent groups for it being my first time shooting this rifle and not having it solidly rested. It works well on the 522 on a set of medium height rings. Objective stands about 1/8" above the rail, and the scope is low enought to allow a solid cheek weld.

I wasn't able to try out the Spitfire, as it got delivered to my house while I was out shooting. Mounted it up when I got home, though, and I think I'm going to really like it. Seems very well built. The optics are crystal clear and the reticle is very sharply defined. With the power off, the etched reticle is just as visible as the crosshairs in any of my scopes. Ilumminated, it gets very bright - I doubt I'll use the brightest settings very often, unless shooting in very very bright conditions. Even with my aging eyes, I was able to easily dial in the ocular focus and get a perfect picture through the glass. Can't wait to shoot with it on the next outing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.