SIG Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I purchased a P220 10mm Elite Hunter. Took it to the range today. Great shooting gun and and I really like the 10mm cartridge but this pistol can really fling the brass. The brass from the box of PPU I shot was going at least 12 or 15 feet to my right and 3 or 4 feet to the rear. The Sig ammo I shot was hotter than the PPU. I started looking for the brass and it was not where the PPU brass was being found or even close. Finally found it on the other side the truck. That brass was clearing the top of the truck at least 15 feet away and lending about 15 feet on the other side of the truck and farther to the rear. Traveling a minimum of 30 feet at least. Is this the nature of the beast? Any idea if ejector is tuneable like a 1911? Want to save the 10mm brass for reloading. Thanks

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,062 Posts
It sounds as if it needs a stronger recoil spring. Direction of spent brass can be adjusted by ejector nose profile, but distance is the function of slide velocity. The only way to slow the slide down is with weaker ammunition, or a stronger recoil spring. I'd contact Sig CS, since their ammo appears to be the hottest, and see if there are any options available for the spring. Check to see if your spring is color coded, and advise Sig when you call, it's a possibility, that a .45 recoil spring was installed out of a Super Match by mistake.

Reactions: Firearms Collector

·
Premium Member
42,937 Posts
Good thing it went over the truck, or you might have lost your windows.

I use a brass catcher I made, and each caliber has it's own manner.
I find the 10mm goes higher and further, but catches well. I am 3' from the catcher.

45 catches easiest, and 9mm I need to be pretty close to the catcher.
Also 9mm I find the last round goes wild more than the others.

·
15,062 Posts
Malicious Compliance, in his other post he listed ammo as PPU 180 grain JHP, and Sig 180 grain FMJ.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
I tune Mrs. Flash's guns and mine to eject closer and as close to 4:30 as I can and I do it by lowering the load when I reload.

I stand behind her and catch her brass at the range, much to the amusement of the others at the range.

Pro tip:

Don't catch .22LR empties, because if you do, you'll only do it once. It's reminiscent of Teddy Roosevelt when he first went west and was inspecting horseshoes fresh off the forge.

·
Registered
23,653 Posts
Welcome from Alabama.

The 10mm can definitely sling brass due to the slide's speed.

I highly recommend SIG's Elite Performance 180gr FMJ 10mm. It is within 50fps of Underwood's same load and is very accurate. Great practice round!

A lot of 10mm ammo "out there" is 10mm in cartridge dimensions only. Most of it is only loaded to .40S&W velocities - some a little faster than others but most still well below 10mm specs. That is why you see such a wide range of distances in ejection between brands and differences in felt recoil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer some questions. Pistol is new in box.....or was until I purchased it. Recoil spring is color coded purple. Ammo was PPU 180 grain JHP. Muzzle velocity 1083 fps at 469 ft-lbs. The Sig Sauer ammo is Elite Performance 180 grain FMJ. Muzzle velocity 1250 fps at 624 ft-lbs. Quite a difference.

·
Premium Member
18,469 Posts
The SIG ammo is zipping right along! Are those velocities measured by you or from the box? Some of the fastest 180 gr 10mm I've measured is the Underwood XTP JHP with an average velocity of 1340 fps through a 4.6" barrel (stated as 1300 fps by the manufacturer). Those really fling the brass!

·
15,062 Posts
mahhd776, that is quite a difference. As has been said, many 10mm loads are anemic, close to .40 loads. By the same token, depending on your primary use for this pistol, will dictate your needed actions.

If you plan on hunting with it, then you will want a good expanding projectile, as heavy as possible for good penetration, so either 180 to 200 grain, and driven as fast as safely possible, and a training round to equal its ballistics. It appears you have found a possible training round, with the Sig branded ammunition. The only problem is the excessive slide velocity. I would still check with Sig CS, as to the rating of the spring you have (purple), to insure it is the correct one, and if they have any slightly stronger. Colt, in their Delta 10mm used dual springs to keep the pistols from self destructing.

If you spring it too heavy, then you will have problems with lower velocity offerings, but you will also have sight adjustments to make. So you will need to decide which way to go, and set the gun up for that course of action.

·
Registered
23,653 Posts
I like Underwood's 165gr Speer Gold Dots at 1400 fps, 718 ft. lbs. and their 155 gr Hornady XTPs at 1500 fps, 774 ft. lbs. :D BLAM!!

And for those that like the small and fast .357Sig, try Underwood's 135gr Nosler JHP at 1600 fps, 767 ft. lbs. Zippidy do dah!

I think if I carried a 10mm, I would probably load it with Underwood's 180gr Gold Dots at 1300 fps, 676 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally got around to calling Sig customer service about the discussed brass flinging P220 10MM Hunter. Lady I talked to did not know the answer and put me on hold. She evidently called someone in the know and returned in a few minutes. Who ever she called told her 7 to 10 yards brass travel is normal with this pistol. Purple spring is correct. I also ordered a spare recoil spring guide assembly for this gun just to have on hand as I do with my other pistols.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.