SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My P227 came with what I believe is a short reach trigger. Love the gun, hate the trigger. I am much happier with the fatter triggers on my 226, 229, and 220. I want to swap it out with a standard trigger but just need some verification from the more knowledgeable first. This is short reach, right?

I should be able to just pick up a standard P-series trigger (226, 229, 220, etc) and swap them out right? Do I need any other parts? Are any pins or springs in there one time use or should I be able to re-use everything else? The gun is pretty new/low use.

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Just a note.

It should never be a question of whether the Short Reach Trigger or Standard Trigger is "better". The question should only be which one fits your hand better.

X-Large gloves are not necessarily better than Small gloves -- unless you have X-Large hands.

·
Registered
19,501 Posts
When installing the locking insert, make sure the notches in the trigger pin are facing down, not up. This is a common mistake.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I also hate the Short Reach Trigger but I removed it, ground off about 1/4" and it is much better than the standard fat trigger and it is even better than the Graygun, P-SAIT trigger in my P229 Legion

If you are going to replace it anyway try grinding off that stupid turned up end first.
Maybe you will be as surprised as I was just how nice it is after shortening it

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I also hate the SRT but I removed it, ground off about 1/4" and it is much better than the standard fat trigger and it is even better than the Graygun, P-SAIT trigger in my P229 Legion

If you are going to replace it anyway try grinding off that stupid turned up end first.
Maybe you will be as surprised as I was just how nice it is after shortening it
SRT = Short Reset Trigger.

Man, I wish folks would stop using SRT when they talk about the "Short Reach Trigger". Stop adding to the confusion.;)

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
If you have the "newer" version of the short reset kit, the one that has the safety lever with the longer lower leg, you will not be able to remove or replace the trigger/trigger bar assembly without removing the safety lever - the safety lever lower leg will block the trigger bar (I've never been able to solve the resulting Chineses puzzle without removing the safety lever).

Note that you do not need to remove the sear etc, I only take tension off the sear by releasing the end of the sear spring from its pin, then push the sear pivot pin out to the left only far enough for the right end of that pin to clear the safety lever so as to remove it. (Hint, if you are going to be wiggling the gun all over while swapping the trigger, re-tension the sear spring and it will keep the sear pivot from moving further).

Sounds complicated, it's not.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
SRT = Short Reset Trigger.

Man, I wish folks would stop using SRT when they talk about the "Short Reach Trigger". Stop adding to the confusion.;)
Amen to that brother!

Trigger-7, short trigger, thin trigger, skinny trigger, reduced reach trigger, short reach trigger; so many choices, much less confusion.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Also, make sure the hammer is down in order to remove the firing block. I didn't watch the posted video, but that tidbit of info is missing in a couple how to's out there. Can't remove the firing block with it cocked.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Also, make sure the hammer is down in order to remove the firing block. I didn't watch the posted video, but that tidbit of info is missing in a couple how to's out there. Can't remove the firing block with it cocked.
:confused:
That terminology is nowhere in SIG Sauer literature.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts