SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for an EDC switchblade and am seeking input from the knowledgeable people here. But, there are stipulations. I am NOT looking for tactical / weapon knives that everyone carries these days. It will not be stuck in my pocket rim by a clip. It will be carried completely in my front pocket with other EDC stuff. 3.5" - 4" is my target size. I have carried a 3 blade Stockman German Eye (gentleman's folded) for years. It must be a "Lever Lock". I don't think they make one, but I have no interest in Benchmade. Price should be <$500. This knife will be carried and used daily as a tool. I generally prefer German knives... not a big fan of US options. OTOH there are a few custom knifesmiths whose work I admire.

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
If a OTF would work for you check out the Microtech Ultratech and the Dirac. My Ultratech has m390 blade steel and my daughters Dirac came with 204p steel. Extremely well made and light enough not to be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't seen an OTF that would hold up to much force (as I heavy cutting or prying). I will check out the Microtech. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Have you looked at the Kershaw Blur?

They are $63 at Wal Mart. I have owned on for more than 10 years.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
A "switchblade?" I think you'll find that there are few true "switchblades" available these days, and a switchblade is generally considered to be a "weapon knife," which you say you don't want, so I'm a little confused. If, on the other hand, you are open to automatic, OTF or spring-assist knives, then there are lots of good options, though not all of them will be lever locks. That's quite a specific list of criteria you have, and I'll be curious to see what you find that meets it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I like the Kershaw Leek - the one NOT made in China - because of the assisted opening and the easy to use sliding blade lock button that will keep it from opening in a pocket. Mine is the G10 not made any more, but the solid metal is a bit stronger I think. Doesn't hurt that it's a lifetime warranty that only costs $10 to get it repaired/replaced. Mine got a new blade in it for $10 after I cut a hot 110V wire with it (yeah, stupid) and lucky I had the G10 handle on that one, and I even told them it wasn't a warranty issue and I would pay for the replacement. It's even really slim if you remove the pocket clip.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Look at a pocket opener. Not illegal as a switchblade can be considered.
I know some people that used these quite effectively for "work"

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A "switchblade?" I think you'll find that there are few true "switchblades" available these days, and a switchblade is generally considered to be a "weapon knife," which you say you don't want, so I'm a little confused. If, on the other hand, you are open to automatic, OTF or spring-assist knives, then there are lots of good options...
It doesn't matter whether you call them a Switchblade, automatic or OTF... they are the same thing. I am not concerned about legality. Fortunately, I am in Alabama and I have never found a LEO that cared. Back in the 80s & 90s I carried brass knuckles in my right rear pocket. They wore a pattern in the pocket much like the kids did that carried a can of Skoal in their pocket.. You could spot them from across a parking lot. No one cared. I am kinda stuck on a lever lock. I have had too many Switchblades with button switches open in my pocket. As you can imagine that can be dangerous to things that are dear to my heart. I guess the topic of "weapon" is open to discussion. I would never think of trying to use my pocket knife as a weapon. I occasionally carry a fixed blade on my side that I would use as a backup if needed. I always carry a Cold Steel Terminator (vintage push dagger) tucked down the back of my pants as an EDC "weapon".

I also want a knife that is constructed with a frame / liners... not a blade that is stuck between 2 pieces of plastic or metal. I have no interest in a "spring assist". I have become partial to natural / stag handles over the years.

I know that I am being too picky and not giving you guys much to work with. I do appreciate the suggestions and look up the models mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
It doesn't matter whether you call them a Switchblade, automatic or OTF... they are the same thing. I am not concerned about legality. Fortunately, I am in Alabama and I have never found a LEO that cared. Back in the 80s & 90s I carried brass knuckles in my right rear pocket. They wore a pattern in the pocket much like the kids did that carried a can of Skoal in their pocket.. You could spot them from across a parking lot. No one cared. I am kinda stuck on a lever lock. I have had too many Switchblades with button switches open in my pocket. As you can imagine that can be dangerous to things that are dear to my heart. I guess the topic of "weapon" is open to discussion. I would never think of trying to use my pocket knife as a weapon. I occasionally carry a fixed blade on my side that I would use as a backup if needed. I always carry a Cold Steel Terminator (vintage push dagger) tucked down the back of my pants as an EDC "weapon".

I also want a knife that is constructed with a frame / liners... not a blade that is stuck between 2 pieces of plastic or metal. I have no interest in a "spring assist". I have become partial to natural / stag handles over the years.

I know that I am being too picky and not giving you guys much to work with. I do appreciate the suggestions and look up the models mentioned.
Ok, so you're looking for a "switchblade," which could actually be any automatic or OTF, but not a spring assist. And you don't want a "button switch" to activate it. It needs to be German made, have liners and a liner lock, with stag handles, with no pocket clip.

I know a fair bit about knives and I honestly can't think of a single example that meets all of those criteria without going custom. The Kershaws suggested, while great EDC knives imo, fail to meet several of your criteria. Same for Emerson-style "pocket openers." You might check out some of the automatic offerings from Boker - that's about as close I can think of. Otherwise, you're looking at a custom knife.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Bokers are very good knives

·
Registered
14,727 Posts
I am looking for an EDC switchblade and am seeking input from the knowledgeable people here. But, there are stipulations. I am NOT looking for tactical / weapon knives that everyone carries these days. It will not be stuck in my pocket rim by a clip. It will be carried completely in my front pocket with other EDC stuff. 3.5" - 4" is my target size. I have carried a 3 blade Stockman German Eye (gentleman's folded) for years. It must be a "Lever Lock". I don't think they make one, but I have no interest in Benchmade. Price should be <$500. This knife will be carried and used daily as a tool. I generally prefer German knives... not a big fan of US options. OTOH there are a few custom knifesmiths whose work I admire.

TIA
In MOST States A SWITCHBLADE Knife Is ILLEGAL.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Nice map ... thanks for the post. Lots of mis-information out there. One note is that WVa should be in the Grey states. Here you can carry any knife, regardless of how it opens, but if it is carried concealed (pocket knives) it must have a blade of 3.5" or less.

I carry a Boker Kalashnikov Auto for EDC. A great entre level auto blade. They make two sizes with several blade shapes and color combos. They're smooth, fast and hold a good edge. And at $39.99 to $44.99 they make good EDC ... if you damage one or lose it you're not out big bucks. My nephew fell in love with first one so I told him to keep it ,,, (who's the favorite uncle now?). I have two now, one for EDC, a black/black tanto and an FDE drop point I keep with my house gun. They make great gifts too ... check Blade HQ for lots of autos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a big fan of the Kershaw Blurs which are spring assisted, but very fast.

I recently purchased this Benchmade CLA auto. I like it also; it has a lock; and it can be carried quite conveniently without a clip.
IMG_5051.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Microtech make very highly rated autos
Benchmade are good quality as well
Many will argue but for daily user beater auto, I think the China made S&W autos are decent knives for the price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts