SIG Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mounted a romeo zero on my XL. The rear sight part of the zero isn't next to useless, it is useless.

I'm thinking of painting that portion of the sight to aid in picking it up in low light, should I ever need to use it if the zero fails.

Has anyone painted plastic (polymer) like this and what would you recommend?

Paint type, name etc. Thanks....

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I haven't tried it for gun use, but Tamiya is a maker of premium replica model tanks, jets, ships, cars, etc., and they also make premium paint for models... You can buy small jars and they also sell brushes with tiny tips for very narrow lines and grooves.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/paints/

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I used bright orange finger nail polish on the front sight of a Ruger revolver and it worked out surprisingly well. I don't suppose that bright orange would be the best choice for a rear sight, though.

There is paint marketed specifically for gun sights and some of it is even available with glow-in-the-dark pigments.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have used Testors brand Gloss Enamel Paint.

I used the tip of a tooth pic to apply it to the sight.

It holds up well over time for me.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Mugsie How about you try a Colored Pencil maybe White to draw a couple vertical white lines or white triangle or white ever before mucking something up with paint . Most decent office supplies will have white pencils or hobby center for most any color . Guess you have a Green ring night sight on the front ! Experiment first .

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Great suggestions guys. Thank you very much. I had no idea there were so many options. Thanks again.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I know the OP is for a RZero but for those with an aluminum bodied sight like Holosun, you can get the rear laser etched.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Even if you painted the notch it's still useless and doesn't allow you to see anything but a small sliver of the top of the front sight.

What I did when I had one was to grab a white paint pen from the drawer and fill in the dash in the middle like a bar dot sight.
Then hold the gun with front sight over the target and line up the dash.
You won't be picking off clays at 100 yds but it's good enough for close up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even if you painted the notch it's still useless and doesn't allow you to see anything but a small sliver of the top of the front sight.

What I did when I had one was to grab a white paint pen from the drawer and fill in the dash in the middle like a bar dot sight.
Then hold the gun with front sight over the target and line up the dash.
You won't be picking off clays at 100 yds but it's good enough for close up.
Excellent idea! Exactly what I'll try. Thank you.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've often used "Wite-Out", it's cheap and readily available. It's also surprisingly durable and long-lasting.

An additional advantage is, if necessary for whatever reason, it's relatively easy to remove.

I've used this on several of my handguns and it's worked well.

I also tried fishing lure paint and a white paint touch-up stick. The Wite-Out was easier to use, less expensive, and worked as well or better.

The only downside is that the only color is white (obviously).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts