SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I am needing a recommendation for quality scope rings in high / extra hi to put a scope with 50mm objective on a rifle with dovetail grooves. All I am finding is the generic pair for $8.99

Thanks

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
As the title says I am needing a recommendation for quality scope rings in high / extra hi to put a scope with 50mm objective on a rifle with dovetail grooves. All I am finding is the generic pair for $8.99

Thanks

A picture would help, as to the "Dovetail Grooves"... that could be describing weaver style, or even "M1913" / Picatinny style, not to mention a "Rimfire" dovetail, of sometimes various dimensions. Even Ruger has 2 different specification propriety "milled into the receiver" dovetail scope mounts, not to mention CZ, and I imagine others...

If it's a weaver style, I would recommend Leupold QRW rings, or Warne has a quick release pair, that are vertically split.

Try Brownells... World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

They have quite an assortment, of different brands, but first it is important to identify what you have... as weaver type rings may fit a M1913 spec rail, it may not be a good tight fit, and cross bolt sizes with weaver style rings vary, where M1913 spec maintains a standard diameter, which in most cases is too large to fit weaver cross slots, although may fit the rail. Too much variation, so is important to identify what you actually have!

Attachments

Reactions: Mills

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use Burris XTR (2 piece) or Vortex (1 piece) on my rifles... for the price and quality they are hard to beat. They take a beating and hold up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Some of vortex clamps are made by seekins, just installed a set on a new scope last weekend, nice.

Still not sure what you are mounting the scope on. If it's an AR I use the M-233 due to the one piece mount vs 2 piece on the p series. I also have Burris AR mount just like the M series.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...style-with-integral-rings-flattop-ar-15-matte

Bolt actions I just tried the vortex clamps and they got snugged down tight on the base without stripping.

Otherwise I use Burris triples.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...actical-signature-picatinny-style-rings-matte

Too may times I've helped people at the range with scopes walking, a nice $700-1000 scope and $30 rings stripped out. Don't go cheap on rings or a base if you need a base

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
As the title says I am needing a recommendation for quality scope rings in high / extra hi to put a scope with 50mm objective on a rifle with dovetail grooves.
What rifle, what scope, what stock is on the rifle?

I moved from Seekins Precision low on my SSG, to Burris Signature Pos-Align mediums for my Burris XTRII F-Class. I decided I preferred raising the cheek-piece on the stock off the bench as opposed to raising it to shoot prone.

Reactions: phlyers13

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
I like it. No worrying about finding that pesky phillips screwdriver...:thumbsu:

·
14,056 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
At least he didn't deface the Serial #....
Believe that's an old Mini 14. Likely an old Police trade-in someone grabbed for $100.

They shot low, so when the cat was mounting the classy scope up high like that probably thought it should compensate --- :lol:

Sometimes it's ingenuity - sometimes it ijuit-nuity

Reactions: Willard and Mills

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What rifle, what scope, what stock is on the rifle?

Well, if anyone would understand you will be my best shot. :cool: I need these to go on a rimfire dovetail receiver.

Anschutz 1416 (made in 1963) with double set triggers and a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 scope.

The other one I am planning on doing now is an Anschutz WoodChucker and a ZEISS Terra 3-9x50 scope.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Meanwhile out in the shop, Catman feverishly works on his rifle.

That is not mine ....I am not that good of a welder. :eek: :(

Reactions: Mills

·
14,056 Posts
Well, if anyone would understand you will be my best shot. :cool: I need these to go on a rimfire dovetail receiver.

Anschutz 1416 (made in 1963) with double set triggers and a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 scope.

The other one I am planning on doing now is an Anschutz WoodChucker and a ZEISS Terra 3-9x50 scope.

Okay, now I understand, you have the same dilemma I faced several years ago, with a Savage/Anschutz Model 10, that I have. They use a slightly different dovetail than US manufactured .22 rifles.
Talley manufactures rings just for these...
Anchutz Rings, High : TALLEY RIMFIRE SCOPE RINGS | Brownells

·
Premium Member
22,526 Posts
Being that the 1416 is a vintage Anschultz, my recommendation is to locate a competent gunsmith.
Those came drilled and tapped for scope blocks, I do believe.

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Anschutz 1416 (made in 1963) with double set triggers and a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 scope..
Ah. Personally, I'm still on Micrometer peeps. Can't see squat down the line but...

Here's a source that's reasonable with good products for Anschutz.

https://www.diproductsinc.com/products.aspx?CAT=3599

For rings on their rails - near any will hand it. I'd suggest you look to some of the airgun rings. Cheap and well enough made to take care of your Swarovski.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.