SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got handed down an old sig p225. The frame is in excellent condition, but the slide needs some love. I decided to put new sights on it and get the slide refinished. I have one problem, I can't get the breech block out. I took out the role pin, but the block is just stuck. I don't know if it's because it never has been taken out before, or what. The only thing I can think of doing is soaking the slide in something? I obviously don't know what I'm doing so if someone could give me some advice, I'd be really stoked!
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
I'm not a smith or an armorer, but there are some on here. They will contribute, no doubt.
If it were mine, I wouldn't be afraid to spray a penetrating oil, or just use a gun oil that could seep into the sides, and let it sit for a while. It shouldn't hurt anything.
You could also warm it up with a hair dryer or hot air gun. That may create enough expansion to loosen it up, or at least help the oil to flow in.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to SIG Talk!

I'll echo Hodge's recommendation. Some penetrating oil or Kroil may do the trick. Should come out without a lot of effort. I certainly wouldn't be banging it.

This may be helpful in your explorations:

SIG P225 Armorers Manual
Woah!! In dumb! Thanks for sending me that manual...I failed to realize that there is both an inner AND outer roll pin...I got the inner one out, and I assume the outer is still in there haha. When I get home I'll check it out. Thanks for your guys' help!

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Woah!! In dumb! Thanks for sending me that manual...I failed to realize that there is both an inner AND outer roll pin...I got the inner one out, and I assume the outer is still in there haha. When I get home I'll check it out. Thanks for your guys' help!
The population of this forum is a gold mine of knowledge, experience, and willingness to help. Hopefully this won't be the only time that we can help you, and someone will benefit from your current experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well....I didn't use a punch.. I used the smallest screw driver I could find. Like a tiny little micro screw driver. I purposely avoiding what I now know is the outer pin, because I thought it was just part of the frame. I need to get some real punches.

·
Administrator
38,628 Posts
Welcome from PA!

You should use specific roll pin punches to reassemble. These can be obtained at Brownells and other places. IIRC the outer pin is 3mm and inner is 2mm.

When you reassemble I suggest that you use new roll pins, they are inexpensive.

Note that the orientation of the slot on the inner pin should be 180 degrees from that of the outer pin when assembled. I suggest that you have the outer pin slit at the 6 o'clock position and the inner pin slit at the 12 o'clock position.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome from PA!

You should use specific roll pin punches to reassemble. These can be obtained at Brownells and other places. IIRC the outer pin is 3mm and inner is 2mm.

When you reassemble I suggest that you use new roll pins, they are inexpensive.

Note that the orientation of the slot on the inner pin should be 180 degrees from that of the outer pin when assembled. I suggest that you have the outer pin slit at the 6 o'clock position and the inner pin slit at the 12 o'clock position.
Just picked up an inner/outer roll pin and a set of roll pin punches from Brownells! Thank you!

·
Banned
283 Posts
Welcome Micah.
I would pack your P225 and mail it to Sig Sauer for the special that costs around 115 dollars.
It will come back to you looking like a new weapon with fresh night sights to boot.
You will like what you receive!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you don't know to use the correct tool to remove the roll pins, you need to put down the tools, back away from the bench and send your pistol to SIG-Sauer, before you end up paying for an unnecessary repair.

I have seen my share of Bubba'ed handguns and rifles by well-meaning, but ignorant basement gunsmiths that screwed up their own firearm so badly I couldn't even fix it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you guys for all the advice!!
It really is helpful. I think sending it to SIG would be a great option for my gun, but not so much for me. I put down my gun and walked away from the bench and posted my problem on here so I could learn how to do it myself! I used a screw driver instead of a punch because I don't have a set of punches, I knew it, I just was impatient and used the wrong tool which I know is wrong. I got a set of punches and new role pins so I won't need to make the mistake again! Thanks again for all your guys' help. If anyone cares, the breech block is out and my slide is ready to be refinished!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts