SIG Talk banner

Need help with grip for P227

831 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Tx45acp
I love my P227. My only problem with it is the E2 grips. I like their look and I don't have a problem with the roughness of their surface. My problem is the distance from the trigger to the back of the grip seems to be less than the G10's on my MK25. On the MK25 my finger just naturally contacts the trigger in the middle of the pad. On the P227 it seems shorter and I contact the trigger right at the first joint. This has caused me to consistently shoot to the right and a little low.

Question: do the G10 grips sold on the Sig website make the "reach" a little longer?

2nd question: Sig calls them G10 "Lite" grips. What is meant by "Lite"?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.
Reactions: Willard
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
523 Posts
An inexpensive test...

...you might consider is to purchase the G-10 Lie grips through CDNN Sports.

Sigs sells these for $121....CDNN sells them for $23.99.

They do not come with grip screws or the small backing plates needed to install...but those parts are pretty readily available from Sig or other sources.

Note: The G-10 Lite grips are the Magwell style.

Others on Sigtalk have bought the same grips and shortened them to remove the magwell portion and line up with the bottom of the gun. I did this as well and it was an easy project.

I may be able to take some measurements for you on my 227 with E2s and the G-10 grips later today.

BTW...the 227 is one of my favorite Sigs!

Northlight

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi There,

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think changing grips will fix your issue. Sig puts the "Short Reach Trigger" in the 227's, and this is more than likely what is causing your first joint to be up on the trigger. Sig did this to try and compensate for the marginally increased size of the 227 over the 226 (their goal was to keep the guns so similar that you could switch to one from the other without ever noticing it, unlike say, a glock 19 to a glock 21. This is also the reason for the relatively low capacity compared to other double stack .45s). I put Hogue G10s on my 227 and I love them, but didn't notice that they increased the back of grip to trigger length at all. If this is really an issue for you, I would suggest calling up Sig and ordering a standard reach trigger to put in your 227.

Sources: My own 227 and my best friend who works for Sig.

· Registered
523 Posts
I've had the....

...Standard Reach (also known as "Standard Contour") Trigger installed in my 227s...and my other Sigs when having Carry Action or Competition Action jobs done by Robert Burke (The Sig Armorer). Much better.

If you choose to do the G-10 Lite Grips....here are pictures of my 227 Tactical with the full length Magwell grips...and my 227 SAS with the trimmed version of the same grips.

The grip screws...and most important grip backing plates...are what you need if you get the $23.99 G-10 Lite grips from CDNN. The slightly smaller black backing plates (with the recessed rim around them) are the ones you need.

The backing plates must fit flush with the interior of the magazine well. The larger gray-colored backing plates are incorrect. It took Sig a couple of tries to get me the right ones. But...they are inexpensive.

Northlight

Attachments

· Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MERam and northlight for the info!

I ordered a standard size trigger and will see if that cures the reach problem.

So glad I found this forum. Many helpful people here!

Thanks also to northlight for the pictures of the grips. Now I'll know what to look for if I ever decide to change out grips and I'll know the one from Sigcan be customized.

I hope I get to help others out some day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.