SIG Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .45 P220 (and one in 9mm as well. I like the platform).

And I have two conversion kits: one that came with the gun and isn't labeled and another that's marked with P226 (that I had when I owned a 9mm 226 that I sold and planned on getting another...and then didn't buy).

There's no problem with the kit that came with the .45 gun.

But I'm wondering if the 226 kit will operate on the 220?

It fits just fine (I tried) and everything seems to work. But before I take it to the range and risk doing damage to something, I thought I'd ask some of the folks here if they've had any experience with putting a 226 .22 atop a .45 220 frame. Or thoughts about whether it's ok to do.

Is it safe is by big question, and then, will it work?

(Also, I assume because my 9mm 220 has a heel release the 226 top won't work on it, but I haven't had the 9 out of the safe to give it a try. Any thoughts/experience on that?)

And if the 226 atop the 220 isn't safe, stay tuned to the classifieds, it may turn up there. Of course I could just buy another 226 to make use of the conversion kit. Now that's a better solution. Kinda.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
I’m thinking you should play it safe and just buy a 226 to use the kit on.
Or even better, send me the 226 kit for proper disposal. I won’t even charge you for this service.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
OP,
The P220 22LR "hammer stop" for a lack of terminology in the aft end of the slide around the firing pin is thicker on a P220 slide compared to the same part on the P226 slide.

The Bbl lugs have a slightly different configuration & are marked in the RH side w/ P220 or P226 to differentiate between the two lugs.

Worse case scenario is the P220 on a P226 will not go bang...reliably.

The 22LR top ends are blow back & do not lock up as per a center fire top end,so you will NOT damage the pistol by doing so.

I do not run P22LR top ends on my "Folded Slide" pistols.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,817 Posts
Disconnect Tab cuts in the slides, are "close" to the point the slides may let the Hammer fall with the wrong slide.

As DansSIGs mentioned notice the difference at the Firing Pin. The P220 Slide on the left, and P226 on the right. Also a bit of difference in the "length" of the barrel's lugs. As Dan mentioned, these are "blowback" and not tilting lock, but "lock up" for firing could be affected.

Of course you would need the correct magazines to fit the frame anyway.

Attachments

Reactions: Twistedracer
1 - 4 of 4 Posts