SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated, I need some opinions as I know we have some sig armorers here. I picked this up from aimsurplus a few weeks ago and I've gotta say it shoots great, cycles fine and I can shoot it pretty well (it was $449). At first glance I saw lots of holster wear but internals looked worn but ok. But as I've taken it down and cleaned it after some range time I'm noticing more wear that's concerning me. Was hoping to get some feedback on slide wear, rails and barrel wear. The barrel has a few spots where I can feel the finish is gone and its a very fine ripple from where the finish was to the bare metal (picture of the barrel with my thumb in it). I've lubed it with grease when I first got it and after each use (some oil here and there but grease on major wear areas). Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Wondering if I need to replace the slide or barrel or if I just keep it lubed up well and shoot the hell out of it. Like I said it functions just fine.

My intent was to get something smaller than my p226 tacops to carry but I'm now wondering if this was a good option or not based upon the wear I'm seeing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
It doesn't look too excessive to me. The barrel shows it has a few rounds through it but that's ok, I doubt it's anywhere close to the 50K expected life of one. I always check the "slop". With it cocked (Make sure it's unloaded) grab the slide with your opposite hand and just try wiggling it. Not racking it but just to see how much play you can get out of it. Most I've seen (which is probably very little compared to others on here) have very little more than a new gun. It obviously will have more than new but in my experiences the alloy frame has held up well. I'd replace all the springs and throw a SRT kit in for good measure and you'll have a gun you can't wear out in your lifetime under normal usage.

Later on, or whenever, if the slide looks bother you have Sig redo it or get it cerakoted

Reactions: bearone2

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
As you said, it's been carried a lot judging from the holster wear and IMO it's been shot a lot judging from the wear on the internals. Looks like a "working" SIG and there is nothing wrong with that for that price.

I don't see anything abnormal in the wear for a working SIG. As suggested, a complete D&A, clean, lube and new set of springs would be advisable. And then go shoot it some more.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Based on the pics you provided I think there is nothing wrong with this gun, but you can always send it to Sig for a Full Service Package. They will completely disassemble the gun, give it an ultrasonic cleaning, reassemble it with new springs, and test it to ensure it is properly functioning. Fantastic value, and you get a factory renewed gun. That said, this gun looks fine. Clean it thoroughly and run the hell out of it. That's what it's made for!

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Before I tell you what a piece of junk you bought --- :lol:

Looks well used - not at all a bad thing. 90% is simply cosmetic.

However, you didn't show us under the frame rails - see attached. To be able to really comment, that part of the frame needs to be seen. It's a common wear point and on a gun with that amount of obvious use/wear, that part of the frame could be a critically worn area.

Other than that - the suggestion to send it in for the full service package is a good one to make sure 1) it has "new guts" and 2) that it's been physically inspected for safety.

Overall, I think your purchase price was "ok", but not great.

Attachments

Reactions: GCBHM and bearone2

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would call that pistol "well loved".

I had one similar years ago. Bone stock but with quite a bit of wear everywhere. It was super slick to operate, had one of the nicest triggers I've felt on just about any Sig, and ran like a Swiss watch.

Just think of it as "broken in" and enjoy it for what it is.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,034 Posts
As the others have stated, from your pictures, nothing seems out of the ordinary, just an honestly used sidearm. As GCBHM mentioned, the full service package could be beneficial, unless you feel confident in installing a "Parts Kit" into it, in addition to a good cleaning and inspection. You can get the slide refinished by Sig for $99, but they won't touch the frame. Birchwood Casey markets, what they call "Aluminum Black" that can darken some of the exposed areas of the grip frame where the black has worn away, or they also have Gloss and Flat Black Touch Up "Pens" which are basically paint pens, if that bothers you. For the price you paid, it won't look like new, but the fact is, it's probably just got "Broken In"!

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Premium Member
18,513 Posts
As others have stated, the wear on this gun looks like it has been used but not abused. Wear on the frame rails seems to be good, nothing concerns me there. Most of your pictures are of the slide and the barrel, wear on these parts doesn't concern me too much as it is all cosmetic at this point. As has been suggested, some more pictures of the frame rails would be helpful.

One spot I see that is interesting, but not concerning to me, is a spot on the frame. In the picture of the frame, right sight just above the right grip, there is an area where the anodize has been completely removed. This is unusual as it is not an area the slide rides on the frame. It looks to be silver, but it might just be the reflection of the light in the photo. Again, not concerning, just unusual, would be curious the cause, if, in fact, it is silver/worn.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
One spot I see that is interesting, but not concerning to me, is a spot on the frame. In the picture of the frame, right sight just above the right grip, there is an area where the anodize has been completely removed.
The P245 that I had showed similar wear on the sides of the frame at the rear. I attributed it to a tight slide to frame fit (side-to-side). Don't know if that was the real reason, but that's how I "resolved" it in my mind.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Congrats on a very affordable 229 add!! As Steve mentioned, it would e good to see the frame rails' underside as that's where a lot of recoil pressures wears. It's obviously a high round count piston, but I've seen worse. A SIG service would be good, but if this isn't a defensive weapon and runs well - I'd suggest that is totally optional.

Do you have any information on how this weapon was carried? I've not seen extensive holster wear quite like that.

This gun also presents a great lesson in where to apply extra lube. The frame & slide rails are obvious. It's also important to keep the barrel hood's front edge angles sharp for clean breech lock-ups. Your barrel's wear in that area is interesting to see. A set of high def photos could be a helpful sticky thread.

Cheers

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
Just so you and I are talking about the same area, TF, here is the spot I'm talking about. Does the slide ride this area? I'm still thinking this may just be reflection in the picture.
I was referring to the "Not Here" spot on the side of the frame. I think the "Here" spot is actually the reflection off of the top of the grip panel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Based on the pics you provided I think there is nothing wrong with this gun, but you can always send it to Sig for a Full Service Package. They will completely disassemble the gun, give it an ultrasonic cleaning, reassemble it with new springs, and test it to ensure it is properly functioning. Fantastic value, and you get a factory renewed gun. That said, this gun looks fine. Clean it thoroughly and run the hell out of it. That's what it's made for!

And wait until Father's Day when they run it for half price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just so you and I are talking about the same area, TF, here is the spot I'm talking about. Does the slide ride this area? I'm still thinking this may just be reflection in the picture.

Yes MC that's just a reflection from the light/camera flash or whatever. There isn't any wear in he spot marked "here".

Below are also a few pics of the underside of the frame rails....

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
You got a good deal. Whomever maintained that firearm knew exactly where to protect it.

If it were mine, I'd do a compete disassembly, clean, lube and put it back together and just take care of it. Option two would be the Sig Full Service if you don't feel you can do it yourself.

Well used but still in good shape.

Reactions: kansascity45

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,034 Posts
Malicious Compliance, I know what you are talking about, a couple of his pictures, looked like all the "Black" had disappeared in some places! I credited it to his "flash", or else I figured he would have literally "pointed it out"!

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Malicious Compliance, I know what you are talking about, a couple of his pictures, looked like all the "Black" had disappeared in some places! I credited it to his "flash", or else I figured he would have literally "pointed it out"!

There are a few spots on the slide (top has 2 spots and the right side has one below extraction port) where the black coating has worn off. I attributed those to LEO holster wear and didn't worry much about it because I don't own holsters that will wear in those areas so it won't get any worse.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.