Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings.

I bought a Sig P220 from a police sergeant a few years ago and I was about to sell it. When typing the description I realized I wasn't entirely sure exactly what model it was in the first place.

It is solid black, has a 4.25"ish barrel (closer to 4.5" if measuring the entire piece from end to end), what appears to be a reversible mag release, no rails, removable breech block, the writing on the slide/frame appear to be stamped, and it has no beaver tail.

The photo below is of the reverse side (right hand side) of the mag release and the first 4 digits of the SN.

http://i.imgur.com/15MnGJR.jpg

Is this a P220 ST made for LEO?

edit: forgot to mention, it also has tritium night eye sights, but whether or not they were on it to begin with i am not certain.
i have the original receipt in the original sig polymer/foam carrying case, and it has the name of the police officer i bought it from on it.

the original box/case is also kinda strange, because it doesn't have a smooth surface which the typical identification stickers could be affixed to (maybe sig doesn't put stickers on the outside of their handgun cases? i have no idea)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Welcome! I believe you will have to post more pictures if you want help identifying your gun.:D From the description of your gun, however, nothing jumps out that would lead me to believe there is anything special, unusual, or unique about it.

From the serial number it looks like your P220 was made in 1998, probably assembled in the US from German parts. Does the slide have ST stamped on it to lead you to believe it is an ST version? My understanding was the ST was an all stainless steel gun, but your slide is folded carbon steel since it has the separate breech block.

What color is your SIG case? There was a period when SIG had the sticker labels on the outer cardboard box and not on the plastic case itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply :)

The main thing that caused me to think it might be an ST model was the reversible mag release on the frame (I took that particular photo to get a closeup of the spot)-- if that is just how the standard P220 mag release looks on the right hand side, there is nothing in particular about the gun that is of any significance. I know there were a limited number of ST that were black, obtainable by LEO for testing.

The sig case is a blackish/grey color.

http://i.imgur.com/CjbuzlK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jAd3Cif.jpg

·
Registered
55,688 Posts
a 220st will be all stainless & none were specifically for leo's.

you need to put up a pics where the slide can be seen from both sides.

i'm thinking this has an aluminum frame by the year.

welcome from az

·
Registered
7,425 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally found pics of the P220 ST black nitron. Apparently there were less than 100 of them made, and this isn't it from the looks of it.

So it begs the question;
do all P220s have reversible magazine releases?
or is the picture of the opposite side of my mag release just how the other side of the P220 mag release looks and it isn't reversible at all?

·
Registered
55,688 Posts
black nitron doesn't go back 15 years, no it isn't.
tell you what, put a magnet on the frame, if it doesn't stick to it, it's not steel.

i'm not aware of any sig p series that aren't reversible.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Far as I know there is nothing special about the reversible mag release. I stopped working on them in 2000 and everything I saw had it. If your question is increased value because of it, I don't see it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.