SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now it's down to JP Enterprises and SLR Sentry 7...both Adjustable models. This will be a DI build. I already have the Mega Maten Upper/Lower, Barrel.

So the next order will be for a Gas Block, 15" Keymod Handguard/Barrel Nut. I want the Gas Block Adjustable in case I ever do find a Piston System I like, although I just think DI is better even if it's a little messy to clean up.

Any comments on nice 308 Gas Blocks?

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
Any comments on nice 308 Gas Blocks?
No. but I had a talk lately which offered (me) a different consideration.
Blocks, to include adjustable, have gotten better and less expensive. Builds, though the .308 platform haven't caught up to the "5.56", are more uniform, parts are better overall and again less expensive. Instead of fretting over the block that offers the most of both worlds while not the best of either, would it be worth while to get/build the best of what you will need most of the time and invest in a barrel build that offers the best for the other small% of the time??? Especially when that might mean I'd want a shorter barrel or maybe a more specialized setup than what I'd generally want for non suppressed???

My response was you're just trying to sell me another project...<-his response->..true, but you asked because you wanted a different informed perspective and trust that I want you to be happiest and I know you tend to want to wring out the best overall performance. <-my response-> dammit man!!

Now, I don't know you. but I want you to be happy. ;) :)

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted Adjustable for fine tuning recoil, not really planning to use a Suppressor. I'll probably get a Tubb flat spring and a T2 buffer, and wanted to tune out any unnecessary recoil. I wouldn't be averse to going Piston, but I just haven't seen anything I like.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not sure on .308, by 308 build was pretty straight forward, but I do use JP whenever I can. I have used their adjustable gas block on my ar15 platform, along with their silent captured spring and low mass bolt carrier. If you are just getting the gas block, it's not really worth it unless you are using a supressor. You need to get a tune-able buffer and low mass bcg to really make a difference.

Reactions: Czechvar

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
I wanted Adjustable for fine tuning recoil, not really planning to use a Suppressor. I'll probably get a Tubb flat spring and a T2 buffer, and wanted to tune out any unnecessary recoil. I wouldn't be averse to going Piston, but I just haven't seen anything I like.
See there, you're way ahead of me. My skillset isn't in the building, I was good at learning to shoot what I was given.

That's what got the guy to offer his take. I kept asking, "what about this one, it's kinda shiny and has that eyebrow thing?"
I was trying to build an "LWRC", he reminded me the $$$ isn't for the parts, it's for the R&D leading to the knowledge and finally it's application......

This guy's skill set is in building purpose driven guns. Tell me what you want to do, I'll build it. Probably frustrating for him to walk me through the obvious.....but I'm having fun. :cool:

sorry no help.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I was fishing around Rainier for Gas Blocks and BCG's, and bought a JP Enterprises Full Mass BCG with Enhanced High Pressure Bolt. I have their APEX deal, so they took off $57 and I got it for $390 delivered. The darn 308 BCGs are just ridiculous, but It is a beauty...I'm still leaning towards the SLR Block, but haven't ruled out the JP yet.

https://www.rainierarms.com/jp-full...carrier-group-with-high-pressure-enhancedbolt

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Next is maybe the coolest part yet. Today I talked to a Rainier sales guy about Handguards. We went over the models they carry and ended up at the Fortis Switch models...I'd never even heard of them, but the guy said they use them on a lot of builds and people love them. I ordered the 15" Keymod Black version using APEX for $240...saved $30. Found a video by NSZ85 with the Mega Maten build I'm doing...watch the Fortis install:

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Tonight I ordered the BCM MilSpec Buffer tube, Castle Nut, and QD End Plate. Also the Seekins Precision Ambi Safety and Norgon Ambi Mag Release. Later I want to change to a Battle Arms Development or a Radian Talon Ambi Switch if the Seekins doesn't work out.

This project will be complete for the 4th of July. I'll make a few adjustments later if I have the money. All the essentials are rock solid.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Last night while looking through my tools I realized I'd forgotten to order a DPMS 4 pronged barrel nut wrench, so ordered that from Midway. But today I just wanted to check things out for fit, so I put the major parts together hand tight on the Geissele LR308 Reaction Rod. The 15" hand guard looks about right on the 18" barrel without crowding the Muzzle space. The Fortis Switch is rock solid...

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Got the JP Enterprises BCG in, as well as the BCM Buffer Tube stuff and a Limbsaver. Weight is at 7lb 11oz without the JP H2 Captured Spring, Gas Block, Muzzle Compensator, and a few little Lower bits still to go in. So it'll probably go about 9 pounds or a little bit more before BUIS, Bipod, or Optics. The JP Full Mass 308 BCG is a heavy little sucker. Interestingly enough, the JP Captured Spring System eliminates the need for a Buffer Detention and Spring.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,041 Posts
Czechvar, what kind of headspace you sporting? When using different vendor produced barrel and bolt it's good idea to check, and verify headspace, to avoid safety issues, or even accuracy issues.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Czechvar, what kind of headspace you sporting? When using different vendor produced barrel and bolt it's good idea to check, and verify headspace, to avoid safety issues, or even accuracy issues.
I haven't gotten to that point just yet. I'll need to get gauges to check it. I'm less worried about this particular BCG/Barrel than with some just because they are both pretty high end, and getting good reviews with none bad. However, JP Enterprises is about an hour North of me so they will gunsmith any issues. I called JP Enterprises this morning, and they agreed that there is only a very slim chance the headspace might be off because the good makers are using the same SAAMI specs...but a good idea to check just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
UPS Mail Innovations lost my LR-308 Wrench head...Midway sent a new one.

Mounted the gas block today, also mounted the Muzzle device. The Fortis Handguard slides over both easily. The last assembly step left is Torquing the Barrel Nut, and I've been waiting since Thursday for UPS Mail Innovations to deliver the wrench head the 10 miles from their Center to my Post Office.

While I'm waiting, I should try to remember how much I've spent on this in the past year. I won't count tools, but they did amount to a bit.

Final assembled weight w/o mag is 8lb 15oz. I think this configuration is as good or better than the $3000+ DD5 18" rifles, and my Rail, Muzzle Compensator, BCG, Gas Block, Buffer Spring, Trigger, and Receivers are better. I much prefer the Magpul Grip/stock with Limbsaver to the DD stuff. Weight is only 9oz more...I'm pretty happy with it. Just need to Torque it and check headspace...although the bolt does lock up nice and tight.

https://danieldefense.com/firearms/caliber/7-62-x-51mm/daniel-defense-dd5v2.html

Mega Maten Upper/Lower set $550
Barrel $200 (good deal on eBay)
JP Enterprises Full Mass BCG with HP Bolt $390
Giselle SD-E Trigger $200
JP Entrprises H2 Captured Buffer Spring $150
Fortis Switch 15" Rail $240
JP Enterprises Adj Gas Block $70
Precision Armament M11 Compensator $138
Gas tube $13
BCM Buffer Tube stuff $50
Magpul Stock and Grip $100
Limbsaver Stock Pad $30
Bits and pieces $100

Total $2231

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hit a bump in the road with the Fortis Switch Rail and Barrel Nut. I ordered a PRI KAC/LR308 Wrench head to Torque the barrel nut, and it was too big. Called Rainier and Fortis, found out Fortis uses a Proprietary Wrench. So I ordered the $25 tool from Rainier. Also ordered a 3 piece set of Forster Headspace guages on EBay...Go, NoGo, and Field. I called a big Gunshop about an hour from here and they wanted $20 or so to check headspace, so it just made more sense to get my own permanent set for $86.

https://www.rainierarms.com/fortis-switch-night-barrel-nut-wrench-spanner-wrench/

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Asked about the details on this Barrel and found out it was made by Decimet in Rogers MN, not too far from here. It's Match Grade, Fluted, light or medium profile, 1/10, and 416R SS. They make barrels for DPMS, Remington, and a few others. I had my eyes on a couple of Rainier Barrels or JP Enterprises, but they were out of stock, so this is probably a good barrel for now. I really wanted a 18" Fluted Bull Contour, but couldn't find one. Maybe later...

The proprietary Fortis wrench head I ordered from Rainier somehow ended up going from Washington to Macon GA on it's way to Minnesota...

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tonight I discovered the best part of a Mega Maten Lower. I got an Odin Works Extended Magazine release to install, and had to remove the Bolt Catch to spin the Mag Release. Mega uses a very tough, steel, screw in Pin that takes a #6 Torx Head. It was so easy, and I always hated the roll pin AR Lowers use...it's just stupid. But I put a little blue loctite on the threads and it was done. This should be standard on all AR type Lowers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.