SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm looking for another handgun, specifically for carrying. I've big hands, so I don't want to go sub-compact.

I just got a new P220 Equinox, so I'm looking for something that's not going to break the bank (or even crack it). Poly is the way to go to to reign in cost.

I also need it to be in 9mm.

I was trying to decide between:

Sig P320 Carry in 9mm
Sig SP2022 in 9mm
CZ P-07 Duty in 9mm

Well, I'm having a hard time finding a decently priced P320. Most places online have them at $500+, which is normally pretty good since MSRP is quite a bit north of that, but I've seen quite a few SP2022s and P-07 Dutys for under $400. As well, as much as I'd like to have a striker-fired weapon, I think I'd prefer DA/SA (for now, at least), so I've nixed the P320 from the list.

I've watched tons of reviews of those two firearms (none that directly compare them, though) and heard that the P-07's sights might be an issue...I don't know if that's true or not). Other than that, they seem to be pretty evenly matched.

What are your thoughts on the SP2022 when compared with the P-07 Duty?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you looked at CZ 75BD compact? DA/SA 14+1 9mm
Smaller than a 229.
Thanks for that tip! I'll research that one. I did a quick online search and that one appears to be difficult to find in compact form. It is indeed compact, though! Pricing is a bit high on the few I saw. I'm looking at Gunbroker.com, Bud's, CDNN, and Armslist.com when I look online. I'm looking to spend $500 max, while staying as low as I can.

One thing I haven't done yet is to check the LGSs (been busy with work and family priorities). I've some free time this weekend to visit the local shops.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sp2022 is a good choice. My wife bought one in 9mm and I like it a lot .accuracy is what you would expect from sig and it feels about the same as my 226. Sig made a less expensive gun with the 2022 but it is defiantly not a " cheap" gun.

·
Registered
176 Posts
SP2022 is my first Sig, only around 300 rounds, but really liking it so far. Wavered between it and P-07, but if you're really wanting something poly, don't know how either could be "bad." Something about the way those CZ's feel, though....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
While checking out the CZ 75D compact, I got a bit sidetracked and investigated the Canik TP-9 and Canik Shark-C.

Both are cheap but also have very good build quality, especially the TP-9. The Shark-C is quite a bit shorter in barrel length but doesn't have the features I want. The TP-9 is feature-rich but it has a funky trigger (and a funky decocker) that I might not be able to train myself to be happy with.

I've decided to bypass the Caniks (for now...they might be good as spare guns for car or wife). I've also decided to bypass the CZ 75D compact since they appear to be at the ragged edge of my price range.

It's looking like I'm going to focus primarily on the SP2022.

I know it's rather big for CC, but it's probably going to be easier to CC than my P220. That, and since I'm stepping down to 9mm, I want the mags to hold a lot of rounds. Also, if I go sub-compact, I'm going to have issues with my big hands.

Or maybe I'm placing too many stipulations on my search? Is anyone carrying the SP2022 without issue?

·
Registered
22,028 Posts
Mickey gettin' fancy with his gun pics. :D

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
IMHO, the CZ P07 is a steal. The trigger is incredible. I would personally hold out for the newer non "duty" model with the improved trigger, slide finish and new hammer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I bit the bullet (hahaha) and bought me an SP2022 in 9mm (I ordered through gunbroker.com...$389). Hopefully, it arrives at my local gun shop before the 23rd, because I'm headed to CA for Christmas.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Picked up the SP2022 today. It actually came with two mags (that surprised me...the ad said one mag). I ordered two extra mags from the Cabelas sale the other day, so now I've 4 mags. The mags are stiff as hell...I've loaded them to commence breaking them in.

I already swapped out the smaller backstrap for the larger one...feels much better. In fact, this fits in my hands better than my P220 (not that the Equinox has bad ergos...it's a different feel).

Came with night sights too.

EDIT: While cleaning it, I noticed that it has a metal guide rod...this thing is full of surprises. It was also pretty damned dirty, like a few rounds were fired through it. :eek:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Can't speak to the CZs, but I've shot a 2022 & they're sweet. I believe those to be the best value for your $350-$400 of any weapon available. Plus, they're DA/SA (my preference as well.)

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a special relationship with my 2022. Really. I love it. Admittedly, it's the only Sig I own, but it's so, so nice to shoot.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
EDIT: While cleaning it, I noticed that it has a metal guide rod...this thing is full of surprises. It was also pretty damned dirty, like a few rounds were fired through it. :eek:
\\

Are you certain it was new? I hope it was a reputable dealer you dealt with on GB, so your warranty is intact.

Congrats on the purchase...let us know how easy it is to carry, if you would. It's virtually the same size as the P220 you have...except the .45 is a touch longer and a touch shorter. If you can tell 1/10 of an inch in width, you're doing better than am I.

Good-luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I will throw in another vote for the CZ P07 Duty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts