SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to trade my West German P228 LE Restricted, and was thinking about replacing it with a P226 MK25. I’m looking for any advice I can get, and I can’t think of a better place to ask! . Are there better choices? Am I paying for nothing more than an engraved anchor? I am also looking to purchase a P938 but the ambi safety pinches the skin on my right forefinger when I release it with my right thumb. Can I get a 938 without an ambi safety? if not what is a better option for CCW ?. Thanks to you all!

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,622 Posts
I am looking to trade my West German P228 LE Restricted, and was thinking about replacing it with a P226 MK25. I’m looking for any advice I can get, and I can’t think of a better place to ask! . Are there better choices? Am I paying for nothing more than an engraved anchor? I am also looking to purchase a P938 but the ambi safety pinches the skin on my right forefinger when I release it with my right thumb. Can I get a 938 without an ambi safety? if not what is a better option for CCW ?. Thanks to you all!
Many here would ask you why rid yourself of the P228, but a couple of possibilities would be the P239, or P225A1, if you want 9mm, or P239 in .357 Sig, or .40 S&W, if you want something "larger". Your current P228 would fit the bill for "high capacity", with standard 13 round magazines, or upgrade to the newer Mec-Gar 15 round offerings if 13 aren't enough. Actually your "LE Restricted" probably refer to the period magazines from the "Ban" decade, which mean little in most states these days.
The 938 may seem like a reduced M1911A1 for 9mm, but most here report the P239/P225A1 being better feeling weapons, control wise, over the 238/938 offerings.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I recommend keeping the P228. It is a classic gun that is going to be worth holding on to. The MK25 is a fine pistol, but there is nothing particularly special about it other than it is supposed to be identical to the gun the SEALs carry. WRT better CCW options, there are tons. The Sig P320sc, Glock 26, 43, 42, HK P30SK, the soon to arrive HK VP9SK, the Walther CCP, the list goes on.

·
Registered
55,907 Posts
do you mean le restricted mags as i'm not famliar with a 228 that's l e restricted??

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Keep the 228 and save up for whatever else you want.

You can buy an MK25 or any other current-production pistol anytime, anywhere. Not so with a 228.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
The P938 can be easily switched to single side safety (I've done that to two of mine). Parts are cheap and available from SIG. You will need the safety lever and hammer pivot pin for the P238. Specify silver or black. Do a search here, I've previously posted the steps to do the swap, takes just a few minutes. Here's one of mine with aftermarket grips from: http://www.highfiguregrips.com/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe that you are correct in saying that the LE Restriction dates back to the Capacity ban a few years ago. As to why trade the P228, I guess that I did not realize that its a "Classic" I just got it back from the Sig Factory where they did the cleaning, replaced springs etc, and installed new sights. So I figured I could get a good down payment on a new Sig i.e. The Navy MK25. I was a gunner in the Navy, but don't want to pay for an anchor if there is a better gun with or without the anchor.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think the main difference between the MK25 and the standard 226 is the anchor, the chrome lined barrel, the mil spec accessory rail, and the phosphate coated internals.

I have a MK25 and really enjoy it. That being said, if I found a super clean, German 228 I would be tempted to get rid of the MK25 to get the 228.

·
11,622 Posts
Gunny49, the P228 is basically the Military's M11, it's just the M11 has a chrome lined barrel, and parkerized steel parts for better corrosion resistance over bluing. Unless your planning another career in the salt spray, you don't really need it!

Since you just got it back from a Sig "makeover", with new tritium sights, it's ready for another decade of duty. Plus it's already been "Broken In"!

Just buy a few cases of ammunition, and get re-acquainted!!!

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I believe that you are correct in saying that the LE Restriction dates back to the Capacity ban a few years ago. As to why trade the P228, I guess that I did not realize that its a "Classic" I just got it back from the Sig Factory where they did the cleaning, replaced springs etc, and installed new sights. So I figured I could get a good down payment on a new Sig i.e. The Navy MK25. I was a gunner in the Navy, but don't want to pay for an anchor if there is a better gun with or without the anchor.
I wouldn't say there is a better gun than the MK25. It's certainly a fine pistol to own! It's just not a special edition or collector's item, as it were. Sig offers so many different variants of the P226, and if I were choosing one today it would be either the Legion 226 or the MK25, but I don't think I would trade a W. German P228 in on it. I'd keep the P228 from now on, and just go get a MK25.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
I was a gunner in the Navy, but don't want to pay for an anchor if there is a better gun with or without the anchor.
It mostly depends on what you want. In the Classic P's, I have a preference for the older, short extractor, legacy slide guns, and pre-MIM where possible. For 40 S&W over 9 mm in a mid size carry. 9 is fine for a small gun like the P938 and obviously "good enough" for larger guns too, according to current thinking. I have never been one to follow the crowd. :p

There are still superb values in older guns like this ($625 out the door) a nickel 40 da/sa,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gunny keep that 228! The 228 is still on my list, I'll hopefully find the right one someday. I'd personally skip on the 938 and go for a 239 or 225A1.
Keep the 228 seems to be the general consensus, so I will! Now I need to figure out what to get as a carry. 239 or 225A1 both seem to be great choices, I also recently looked at a P229 Legion, but I hear that there has been some problems with the finish. The 320 in 357 Sig also peaks my interest. So many choices so little time...and money!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd keep the 228, you cannot go wrong with either the the 239 or the 225A1
If you acquired a 239 in 40 or 357sig you would have the option to run 3 callibers in it with a change of barrels and an xchange kit. The same also goes for the 320.
If you are comfortable with the 228 sized pistol for CCW, there are really good buys in used 229s chambered in .40 S&W.

·
11,622 Posts
Keep the 228 seems to be the general consensus, so I will! Now I need to figure out what to get as a carry. 239 or 225A1 both seem to be great choices, I also recently looked at a P229 Legion, but I hear that there has been some problems with the finish. The 320 in 357 Sig also peaks my interest. So many choices so little time...and money!
That 228 could be a sweet carry piece, if 9mm is up your alley. A set of SigLite tritium sights, G-10 grips, and a short reset trigger kit, could bring it into the modern era.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Keep the P228! As for a CCW I would get a P239 in .357SIG if you want multi caliber capability. Going .40 or 9mm is just a barrel and magazine swap away, for 9mm you would also need the matching recoil spring. Or - if you just want a 9mm get a P225A1 or even a vintage P225/P6.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts