SIG Talk banner

Need advice on my new P229 Legion

1269 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Hausy
I had my name on a waiting list at my local gun range for a new Sig P229 Legion for over three months. When it came in I was really excited. I took it out and put 100 rounds through it. It was all I hoped it would be except for one thing. When I finished a mag. the slide would lock, I ejected the spent mag. inserted a fresh one but, when I pulled back on the slide and released to chamber a new round the slide stayed in the locked position. I could close the slide by pressing down on the side catch lever but that is not my preferred means of chambering the first round from a new mag. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and would like advice on how to correct it.

This is my fifth Sig firearm but the first time I have had this happen.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

馃帠USA Veteran
I had my name on a waiting list at my local gun range for a new Sig P229 Legion for over three months. When it came in I was really excited. I took it out and put 100 rounds through it. It was all I hoped it would be except for one thing. When I finished a mag. the slide would lock, I ejected the spent mag. inserted a fresh one but, when I pulled back on the slide and released to chamber a new round the slide stayed in the locked position. I could close the slide by pressing down on the side catch lever but that is not my preferred means of chambering the first round from a new mag. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and would like advice on how to correct it.
Your slide catch lever is not releasing?

馃帠USA Veteran
unless i'm missing something, you still need to depress the slidelock/release when you slingshot to close the slide.

welcome from az

Registered
No, you shouldn't have to push down on the lever unless you have a completely empty magazine in the pistol. With no magazine, or a magazine with at least one round, the magazine follower is not pushing up on the internal part of the slide stop lever. When you slingshot the slide, the slide itself should push the lever down once the lever leaves the notch in the slide, and the slide stop spring should hold it down.

Registered
Slide catch lever is either out of spec or a little rough on the rear edge where it contacts the slide.
I'd clean it up if it were mine. If you're not comfortable with that, SIG will fix it on their dime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.