SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a question.

I'm currently in my first year of college and planning on entering the armed forces after I finish earning my degree. More specifically, the Navy Seals. However, I'm very concerned about one thing.

If I wash out of BUD/s (many do, there is an 80% failure rate), would I be required to continue serving in the navy? My plan was to go into a police academy if I ended up failing out, but I don't know if that's possible. If any of you have any information about this at all it'd be a huge help. I am confident I can make it through BUD/s but the thought of being forced into a low ranking position in the navy is not what I want to do after college.

Also, if any of you are LEOs, any information you have on the Academy would be well received as well. I am already putting myself through rigorous training preparing for both of these positions, thank you all in advance for your help!

Oh, and one more thing. I have already begun firearms training, I am an owner of a Sig 226. However, I want to get into longrifle training as well. Is there a specific firearm that would best prepare me for the Seals position? I know their firearm cannot be purchased by civilians, but is there a similar semiautomatic firearm that I can purchase and begin shooting with?

·
Registered
55,780 Posts
yes, you'll serve in some other function if you wash out but after graduating you might get into ocs.

sniper school is after becoming a seal, be able to shoot straight from 500 yards before you go in the navy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I spent part of the summer at the SEAL reunion. It was a blast!

Everyone should watch a dog fast rope from a helicopter onto a beach head.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You don't want to be a seal. 90% divorce rate etc. it's hard work and even harder on your life. Many guys join the navy thinking they will become a seal, many are called few are chosen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you "ring out" at BUD/s you would have to serve on a ship. You might also think about being a Navy Special Warfare combatant crewman. I would imagine any M4 style rifle will give you some experience.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You enlist for a contract time not specific job. You have to qualify for BUDs you can't enlist for it. No guarantee you will get a shot at BUDs. Smart of you to finish your degree as you will enter as an officer rather than enlisted rank.

·
Registered
144 Posts
As long as it is Navy seals question day... I have one. I know the Navy uses the 226. Do you guys carry DAK or da/sa for duty pistols?

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
I've never been in the military but, one of the very best books I've ever read snd certainly one of my very most favorite is entitled "FEARLESS ". Love that book...

·
Registered
277 Posts
You’ll want to join the Navy with a specific school and rate in mind for one; you may want to complete that before you try out for the SEALs, so if you wash out of BUDs you’ll have that to fall back on. Not sure how it works for the officers, but it might be easier to get into BUDs as an enlisted guy than an officer and put in for the officer program after you’re though and in the teams. Contact a recruiter for better info though.
Swimming is a huge part, be class A and you better be as comfortable in dark cold water as you are in a nice warm bath tub and that’s putting it lightly. Mind over matter is more important than pure brute strength. Pull-ups, sit-ups, push-up, and flutter kicks are a giant kit in the pants, be able to do thousands, even when you’re so cramped up you can’t move, do more. Running, well you better like it.
Shooting, start now with the basic quals you can find on line. Blowing up ****, you’ll get plenty of training later.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This book by David N. Spires: '21st Century Essential Guide to U.S. Navy SEALS' appears to be a pretty good insight of what to pre-train for.

As others have already stated here, if for some brilliant stroke of luck you should wind up with a BUD/S billet right from the get-go, and you "ring out," you will, in fact have to complete your enlistment in some other capacity...:(

Go for it, otherwise you will forever regret not pursuing your dream!

Rich

Hey guys! I have a question.

I'm currently in my first year of college and planning on entering the armed forces after I finish earning my degree. More specifically, the Navy Seals. However, I'm very concerned about one thing.

If I wash out of BUD/s (many do, there is an 80% failure rate), would I be required to continue serving in the navy? My plan was to go into a police academy if I ended up failing out, but I don't know if that's possible. If any of you have any information about this at all it'd be a huge help. I am confident I can make it through BUD/s but the thought of being forced into a low ranking position in the navy is not what I want to do after college.

Also, if any of you are LEOs, any information you have on the Academy would be well received as well. I am already putting myself through rigorous training preparing for both of these positions, thank you all in advance for your help!

Oh, and one more thing. I have already begun firearms training, I am an owner of a Sig 226. However, I want to get into longrifle training as well. Is there a specific firearm that would best prepare me for the Seals position? I know their firearm cannot be purchased by civilians, but is there a similar semiautomatic firearm that I can purchase and begin shooting with?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
You don't want to be a seal. 90% divorce rate etc. it's hard work and even harder on your life. Many guys join the navy thinking they will become a seal, many are called few are chosen.
Plus theres 2 years of straight training just to say youre GOOD enough to be on a team! Not that youre on one. Former Navy here and I considered the SEALs too until I heard that! I had just gotten married and didnt see committing that kind of time away from a new family.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I always wanted to be a SEAL, since I was a kid (before most people knew what SEALS were) and ended up listening to other people and chose a rate that was more technical with "better career potential". I'll regret it till the day I die! If its really what you want to do then, Do It! My advice would be to go to one of the prep courses like Extreme SEAL experience. Physical training is probably gonna be your biggest first hurdle. There are plenty of BUDS traing routines out there, the official Navy site has one too, get on it and follow it. Above all train hard, and don't even think about "washing out", I've never read about a SEAL who ever had a second thought about not finishing training. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate all the information.

The thought of being thrown on a boat for 4 years if I wash out is a bit terrifying, but I figure I can use that as a tool to motivate me through whatever challenges BUD/s throws at me.

If I choose to not go in that direction, do any of you have information about the police academy? If the military ends up not being for me, I'd like to go be a police officer for the NYPD. Do I get hired first, then sent off to school? Go to school, then look for a job? It's very confusing, anyone that could clear this up would be a great help.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate all the information.

The thought of being thrown on a boat for 4 years if I wash out is a bit terrifying, but I figure I can use that as a tool to motivate me through whatever challenges BUD/s throws at me.

Nothing to be "terrified" about, it's just a little different way of life, though temporary. I was "thrown" on an aircraft carrier (CVN69) for two years. In the end, it was a great experience, with some pretty cool memories I carry forever.

It would be WAY better for you if you became an Officer after finishing college, because as an 'Enlisted Guy,' we got stuck with a lot of **** duties....but I get to experience some really cool **** as well....like the time when a group of SEALS climbed up the anchor chain in port, Haifa Isreal, and took the XO hostage!:D

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
The program, enlisting, is always changing. But, if you are questioning it now, you probably arent ready anyways. Its a serious commitment. And you can never give up, never.

·
Registered
66 Posts
best of luck! i researched joining the marines once upon a time, but i would have had to be a permanent resident for them to even consider me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Only you can know whether your dreams are within your capability. You'll have to be physically and mentally fit. And you'll need to stand out in your training classes, whatever they be. You'll probably have to pick another specialty before you try out for the Seals. But I'd say go for it if it's really what you want to do.

I always wanted to be an Air Force pilot, and had it all planned out, but a motorcycle accident left me physically unable to pursue that. I've been successful at my other endeavors in life, but every time I see a fighter jet streak over, I have a moment of regret.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts