SIG Talk banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Nanovault 200 to use as a flight case and also to keep cabled to my car so I wasn't forever hauling my micro vault to and fro.

The case is just large enough for my 226 and a spare magazine and is slim enough to easily slip into any checked bag. My hope is that with steel construction I will be able to avoid any hassles with the TSA.

Trouble is the case comes with very flimsy thin foam. The foam is not suffiecnt to keep the firearm from banging around the case when shaken, or keep the pistol and magazine separate.

I made a poster board template from the existing foam for the top and bottom, then a pistol template from my weapon. I laid down a 3/16" rubber foam layer on the top and bottom, then used the pistol template to cut out a French form from 1" foam rubber, aka closed cell foam.

I added a couple pieces of foam to balance the pistol and reinforce any areas where the cutout was close to the metal shell.

I'm pretty happy with the finished case, I have no worries about the pistol being damaged or even scratched during rough handling, even a substantial drop would don't harm the weapon this case now.

Welcome to Flickr!

Welcome to Flickr!

Welcome to Flickr!

Now I just want to swap out the lock for something a bit more secure. I watched a YouTube video of someone picking this lock with a paper clip in about ten seconds :mad:

I might wrap a steel hasp around the entire case with an external pad lock.

-Justus

1 - 1 of 1 Posts