SIG Talk banner

My rusty Legion

36674 233

-_-
1 - 20 of 234 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
Dude, you can't drop the photos like this without any context!
How was this stored/used?
How often was it used/cleaned?
How long have you had it?
Is that rust or is it **** on the gun have you tried to remove it?

Dont have much to say without more info. I will say rust never sleeps, and stainless-steel is not immune to rust just resistant and is alloy dependent.
Moisture and salts are the enemy of metals.
All the rules of thumb about how to store and care for guns still apply to modern guns with modern materials and finishes. I have a hard time believing this wasn't a seriously poorly maintained pistol. It's sad to see.

· Registered
2,896 Posts
Unless this pistol was kept on board an ocean-going vessel/boat, looks to be blood splatter from hands or (more likely) highly corrosive body sweat/oils. The spots showing the corrosion are located where they would likely make contact with the torso carrying IWB, and when doing manipulations of the operating system (reloads, malfunction drills, etc.). That, or standing too close to the saffron shaker at the local Indian restaurant.

· Registered
7,825 Posts
I'm gonna take a solid guess and say he carries it either IWB or OWB and that side of the gun rests against his body. Some peoples sweat is extremely acidic and will do that to any gun. I have a friend who's sweat is like alien blood and crusted his Glock exactly the same way. Never happened to mine but his was rusted in less than six months of EDCing.

Until further information comes from Sterling Archer I'll say that's a result of body sweat.

· Registered
113 Posts
Without explanation, there can be only one conclusion. Shame on you for neglecting your firearm in such a way. No excuse, No justification. You F--ked up.

Bp

· Registered
9,114 Posts
If it's not a warranty issue and heading back to SIG, I suggest you get some Jasco Metal Prep (or etch). It's a dilute phosphoric acid that will convert the rust, even in the pit is the metal, to iron phosphate. Follow directions, rinse with water, spray with WD-40 or similar to displace water, and wipe down with your favorite lube.

And don't do that again.

On my holsters, summertime, hot etc, I use some wet suit material between me and the gun. It's threaded through the belt loops with the holster to keep it in place. Adds comfort, no sweat.

· Premium Member
4,593 Posts
If this is your carry gun, do you wear an undershirt? Do you have a sweat guard on your holster? Do you wipe it down each time you take it off?

If it's not your carry gun... How is it stored?

· Registered
180 Posts
If it's not a warranty issue and heading back to SIG, I suggest you get some Jasco Metal Prep (or etch). It's a dilute phosphoric acid that will convert the rust, even in the pit is the metal, to iron phosphate. Follow directions, rinse with water, spray with WD-40 or similar to displace water, and wipe down with your favorite lube.

And don't do that again.

On my holsters, summertime, hot etc, I use some wet suit material between me and the gun. It's threaded through the belt loops with the holster to keep it in place. Adds comfort, no sweat.

Doesn't the rust always keep coming back? I would think this needs to be refinished. Might be for the better as the PVD is horrible. A nice cerakoted legion could be the way to go.

· Registered
9,114 Posts
Doesn't the rust always keep coming back? I would think this needs to be refinished. Might be for the better as the PVD is horrible. A nice cerakoted legion could be the way to go.
No, that's the reason for the dilute phosphoric acid, it converts the rust (ferrous oxide) to iron phosphate which is inert, even in deep pits. Rust won't come back with normal maintenance. SS is quite resistant to rust in any case, mostly due to it's chrome content which, when exposed to oxygen forms a thin layer of chromium oxide. It's this thin protective layer that helps prevent further oxidation. But as shown, when subjected to really adverse conditions such as salt water and corrosive chemicals, it can still rust.

The "treatment" I'm suggesting will leave tiny dark spots, but most of the rust discoloration would be gone in any case and it'll look much better than it does now. This treatment doesn't in any way prevent or interfere with getting the slide refinished later. It's a cheap quick, easy and effective way to stop further damage and may well look good enough to call it good.

· Registered
527 Posts
If you look close it's on the safety lever too. It's almost like something growing on it vs it coming from under the finish.

He/She dropped the photo and left us all to guess ... I guess :lol:

· Registered
2,288 Posts
I carry a 229 Legion daily IWB and routinely get soaked with sweat. Mine shows no rust. It gets wiped down with Rem Oil Wipes at best one a week, unless it goes to the range.

Range visits get a good cleaning of the rails and the breach face with a more thorough wipe down of the carbon deposits on the exterior. No rust accumulates even though the humidity is a bit high now with daily precipitation. It does collect lint though.

Bill

· Registered
9,114 Posts
If you look close it's on the safety lever too. It's almost like something growing on it vs it coming from under the finish.

He/She dropped the photo and left us all to guess ... I guess :lol:
Rust expands, and with a lot of force when contained as it sometimes does with rebar in concrete (this is mostly limited due to a lack of oxygen). So yes, it can look like it's growing on a surface. It can also "bleed" and discolor a larger area when it is coming from just a pin ***** size hole. An worse, if that pin ***** size hole is in a surface finish, the rusted area can grow beneath the surface coat - - though usually if this is the case it will lift the surface coat until it too cracks, as when paint blisters over rusty steel.

If our picture posting, no explanation friend simply wiped it down with oil and brushed it with a toothbrush it would look a lot better with most of the staining gone - - wouldn't fix the problem, just put it on hold.

All those **** are replacing a perfectly innocent word that one might use instead of I was "stuck" with a needle. Ya know, this nanny censoring gets old sometimes. I would never call someone a "stuck"!!

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Wasn't my intent to leave you guys hanging, got pulled away for a few hours.

It is only a couple months old, wasn't stored and has not been carried. It's has seen an OWB holster during range practice and steel matches but never against bare skin. There is no reason it should be rusting. I take great care of my guns. I also run them quite wet and wipe down everything in oil. SIG is getting a call tomorrow, this finish is ridiculous. I'd rather have Cerakote than their PVD junk.

· Registered
7,825 Posts
It is only a couple months old, wasn't stored and has not been carried. It's has seen an OWB holster during range practice and steel matches but never against bare skin. There is no reason it should be rusting. I take great care of my guns. I also run them quite wet and wipe down everything in oil. SIG is getting a call tomorrow, this finish is ridiculous. I'd rather have Cerakote than their PVD junk.
Berry Intewesting.....

What type of holster? Something in it that could have done this to it like the dye used in the leather?

Either way if it's only a few months old that is sad and Sig should replace it in total.

1 - 20 of 234 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.