SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt want to hijack anyone else's Thread so I figured I'd start My Own.

I already have P320's in every size and caliber so for me the cost was minimal.

-40 Fullsize barrel reamed to 10mm
-1911 Guide rod conversion
-Pack of Xtra power recoil springs from 17.5, 18.5, 20 and 22lb

I am using a 45 FCG with a modified 45 magazine and a 40 slide and reamed 40 barrel.

So far I loaded up some rounds and hand cycled them 100% 3 mags full ~30 rounds

Next step will be the range later this week. Since I am still waiting on the stronger springs I will use the 40/45 RSA and some weaker 10mm ammo (handloads 180gr around 1200-1250fps.
I will also load some around 1150 to start with.

I plan to load up some stout 1300+ FPS once the springs are here as I have tons of FMJ 180gr and even some HST 180gr.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Alright Just got back from the range!

It fed, fired and ejected 100% 10mm and .40 S&W

I used the factory .45, 40/357 RSA which I believe is 16lbs

The 40 fired exactly like a regular 40 as expected.
The 10mm I fired was relatively mild, some factory 180gr federal as well as some handloads.
With the 10mm I didnt want to go into any of the full power or nuclear 10mm handloads as after firing the first few they ejected about 15ft away vs the 40 only about 6-8ft. I also noticed that the 10mm brass I recovered had a small dent on the mouth of the case which I also believe was due to slide speed which also was an indicator that any hotter loads would be worse.
There was a noticeable difference in recoil of the 10mm as expected but this trip was mainly a proof of concept, and I didnt see a need to beat up the gun.
My next trip will be with the new Guide rod and heavier springs and I plan to shoot full power and some hotter handloads.

A glock 20 Slide weights around 17oz and the P320 .40 slide is just over 14oz so I think a 22lb or maybe even heavier might be be key.

I might even order up the 23lb, 24lb and 26lb springs as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's nice to see that things are moving in the right direction! Thanks for posting your results and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guide rod came in today however still need some heavier 1911 springs.
If anyone has any 20+ lb 1911 recoil springs ill buy them from you.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
What do you mean?
The 45 FCU can do the most.
You can use it in all grips and all
See, my understanding in talking with Sig support is that the 45 FCU will ONLY work with the .45 ACP. It is too large to use with .40 S&W or .357 Sig. At least that what SS told me.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See, my understanding in talking with Sig support is that the 45 FCU will ONLY work with the .45 ACP. It is too large to use with .40 S&W or .357 Sig. At least that what SS told me.
Thats what they will tell you, however the 45 FCU fits and functions in the 9/40/357 grips with all slides.
The only thing you lose which is probably why they tell you it wont work is the takedown magazine safety.
If you use the 45 FCU in the 9/40/357 grip you will be able turn the takedown lever with a magazine in the grip.

For me the only Non 45 FCU I have is the one that came in the surplus M17 I have.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Thats what they will tell you, however the 45 FCU fits and functions in the 9/40/357 grips with all slides.
The only thing you lose which is probably why they tell you it wont work is the takedown magazine safety.
If you use the 45 FCU in the 9/40/357 grip you will be able turn the takedown lever with a magazine in the grip.

For me the only Non 45 FCU I have is the one that came in the surplus M17 I have.
?So how do you make the magazines work. A .45 ACP is a LOT bigger than a 9 mm. If you look at 1911 mags, where the magwell is fixed in size, you find the mags have a baffle in the back so the cartridges can’t go all the way back. Then, of course, the nose is forward, where it will feed properly. ?And how do you make those big 45 mags feed where the lips need to be a lot closer to hold the 9 mm.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
So let me summarize, so I know I got this right.

You can buy a Wilson grip module, inset a .45 ACP FCU into it, purchase the appropriate slide/barrel and mag combination, and go to town with a totally functional weapon. This would include putting a .357 Slide/barrel and mags on the Wilson grip module.

?Do I have that right. ?Do I have to get a new slide takedown lever and if so, will a 9/40/357 one work, or can you use the 45 one. Boy, if that’s all true, this would make the 320 a truly versatile firearm!

Out of curiosity, ?why couldn’t you then put a 9/40/357 FCU in a 45 grip module and have it function. If it’s smaller and won’t take a .45 ACP round, then how does it work in the other direction. ?How does the FCU fit. ?OR - can you actually DO that.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes that will work 100% you DO NOT have to change anything out if the FCU.

Get the grip you want and slide and the appropriate mags and blast away.

The reason it doesnt work the other way is that the takedown safety has a little tab that will prevent the longer 45 magazine from fitting into the fcu.
The ejector is also a little longer on the 9/40/357 fcu.

The P250 had true 100% back and forth modularity and with a little work and some parts you can make the P250 FCU into a P320 FCU.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So got all the recoil springs coming up to 28lbs. Too bad wolff is 2-3 weeks backed up right now.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anytime!
Wolff springs just came in the mail so hopefully I can sneak away to the range a few times.
Wife's due nov 13th with our first so things might come to a halt for a little.

I will try to get out this weekend or after work a few days next week. I have the press setup for longshot 180gr 10mm. I loaded up 100 rounds at 9.5gr should be around 1287 per the data.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts