SIG Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight at the range, I hit a small milestone with my Legion, 1000 rounds through it. Which means I have 1050 rounds shooting a handgun. I rented a Glock 21 and ran 50 rounds through it to see how a .45 felt. All 1000 rounds have been Blazer 115 grain with no issues at all. Well, almost no issues.

A few range trips back the slide failed to lock back on an empty mag. The first time it did, I thought it was just one mag that was doing. The next trip out I marked my mags and realized that all 3 of them were doing it. It doesn't happen every time but it does seem to be happening more frequently.

I am happy to say I have no finish issues. No discoloration, heavy wearing or rusting. Full disclosure though, it has only been in it's padded case or my hand, it's never been holstered.

Overall, I am very pleased with my progress as a shooter. My groups are getting smaller and I'm getting more comfortable and better shooting quickly. Just for fun tonight, my last 10 rounds were at 25 yards. Those results were not pretty.

My only regret is it took me this long to get into shooting. It's something I've always wanted to try but for some reason or another, never tried. Since I bought it, I think I have gone to the range at least once a week. I also spend more time than I probably should at work on this forum and watch shooting videos online.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Since this is your first and only handgun, you are a new shooter, it happens with all three mags, and only some times, i would suggest it is user error. Watch your grip. You may be holding the slide catch down with your thumb, thus preventing the slide from locking back on an empty mag.

Im not assuming you dont know what youre doing. its just a common problem, and i learned this firsthand when i started shooting.

Good luck and good choice for a first gun.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
The first of many "K" rounds fired I'm betting. Glad you are enjoying your Legion and shooting in general. It's a great sport with many facets. You get to meet a lot of great people at the range and there is always SigTalk to while away the hours.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Since this is your first and only handgun, you are a new shooter, it happens with all three mags, and only some times, i would suggest it is user error. Watch your grip. You may be holding the slide catch down with your thumb, thus preventing the slide from locking back on an empty mag.

Im not assuming you dont know what youre doing. its just a common problem, and i learned this firsthand when i started shooting.
Couldn't have said it better, except to say that I still catch myself doing it now and then. My solution is to keep my shooting hand thumb out over my support hand and away from the slide catch lever.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats on your SIG purchase. It took me 4 other purchases to meander over to SIG to see what they had and I just bought the P226 Legion in 9mm SAO. Love it! I've only been through about 300 rds so far with it and I'm out of town now so I'm unable to continue my range visits. Can't wait to get back to it. Love the way it shoots. It seemingly improved my trigger discipline, though I'm actually pretty sure I was paying much more attention to what I was doing when I bought this particular handgun so it's coincidental but I like to give it a little credit. ;)

If you haven't cleaned it yet, you might want to clean it. I found that some of the handguns I've bought were greased up and had lots of goo in them right out of the box. I clean mine when I buy them now and the SIG was really slimey / oily when I bought it so I had to wipe it down really well. Plus, it's a really great way to get familiar with your new purchase beforoe you head to the range.

Anyhow, I hope you continue enjoying yours as much as I've enjoyed mine. I'm already eye-balling the P229 Legion but wondering if it'll ever be released as SAO instead of DA/SA, plus, I really like the flat trigger. It makes for a very easy and natural pull for me and I think that's one of the things that work for me with this model.

Safe shooting!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Welcome from central Texas

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Good luck and good choice for a first gun.
It's probably a very good assumption, I don't know what I'm doing. When I talked to the guys at the range about it after I was done shooting, that is what they suggested as well. But when they saw that it was a SAO with a big old safety basically blocking the slide catch they said that greatly reduced the chance of my thumb interfering with the slide catch. Reduced doesn't mean completely, so I'll try and watch out for that. Thank you.

Congrats on your SIG purchase. It took me 4 other purchases to meander over to SIG to see what they had and I just bought the P226 Legion in 9mm SAO. Love it! I've only been through about 300 rds so far with it and I'm out of town now so I'm unable to continue my range visits. Can't wait to get back to it. Love the way it shoots. It seemingly improved my trigger discipline, though I'm actually pretty sure I was paying much more attention to what I was doing when I bought this particular handgun so it's coincidental but I like to give it a little credit. ;)

If you haven't cleaned it yet, you might want to clean it. I found that some of the handguns I've bought were greased up and had lots of goo in them right out of the box. I clean mine when I buy them now and the SIG was really slimey / oily when I bought it so I had to wipe it down really well. Plus, it's a really great way to get familiar with your new purchase beforoe you head to the range.

Anyhow, I hope you continue enjoying yours as much as I've enjoyed mine. I'm already eye-balling the P229 Legion but wondering if it'll ever be released as SAO instead of DA/SA, plus, I really like the flat trigger. It makes for a very easy and natural pull for me and I think that's one of the things that work for me with this model.

Safe shooting!
I cleaned mine as soon as I got it home. Part to clean and lube it, part to see how it all works. It was surprisingly easily to take apart and reassemble. I hope all handguns are this easy and have not just been spoiled.

The flat trigger and SAO function is what sold me on the gun. Well that and the awesome coin.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Couldn't have said it better, except to say that I still catch myself doing it now and then. My solution is to keep my shooting hand thumb out over my support hand and away from the slide catch lever.
Same here. I like having my thumbs ride the slide pointing forward but that always causes the slide to not lock back on the last round. I have to roll my strong hand thumb left so that it is touching my left hand thumb knuckle. I still catch myself riding the slide when the slide fails to lock back and I look at my thumb and there it is right next to the slide again. This happens with my P226 Legion SAO also just not as often do to the low profile slide lock.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Try 124 grain ammo to see if that helps in locking back the slide. Be sure to not limp wrist your grip. (The heavier bullet makes sure the slide gives the follower a little more time to engage the slide stop.)

The other thing to try is cleaning the magazines. Some types of ammo crud up everything including the magazines. The next thing to look at is the magazine follower to see if it is bent away from the slide stop.

You may also want to try the 18 round MecGar magazine for the P226. MecGars are better quality magazines and MecGar has manufactured many magazines for SIG. My P226R X-Five came with 17 round MecGars made in Italy. Top Gun Supply, Greg Cotte (sp?)LLC or MidwayUSA can fix you up with MecGars.

Congrats on the great pistol!

Bill

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Funny you mention that on the SAO. When I first picked mine up I would sometimes get a little too comfortable and have the same issue. The slide lock lever is so small it's easy to think it's not an issue, but when that gun is running it doesn't take much to engage it. A small readjustment to my grip and hundreds of rounds later and I haven't had a failure to lock back since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's probably a very good assumption, I don't know what I'm doing. When I talked to the guys at the range about it after I was done shooting, that is what they suggested as well. But when they saw that it was a SAO with a big old safety basically blocking the slide catch they said that greatly reduced the chance of my thumb interfering with the slide catch. Reduced doesn't mean completely, so I'll try and watch out for that. Thank you.

I cleaned mine as soon as I got it home. Part to clean and lube it, part to see how it all works. It was surprisingly easily to take apart and reassemble. I hope all handguns are this easy and have not just been spoiled.

The flat trigger and SAO function is what sold me on the gun. Well that and the awesome coin.
I have one too. I tried limpwristing it intentionally and could not produce a malfunction. My hold is not on or near the controls but many, many 226 shooters report exactly what you did. Just watch your grip! I got my case and coin less than a week after I got my Legion and was delighted to see the coin was model specific...SAO!!!!
I think we are both fortunate to have such nice pistols. I can happily report I have never shot smaller groups with a stock pistol than I have out of mine. The trigger really helps to say the least.

Enjoy your new pistol!! And best wishes from Asheville!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts