SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
What a fantastic use for that gun! Well done ole boy, well done.

Reactions: Mills

·
Registered
560 Posts
Because everyone has a truck gun I figured I should get one.
Hate leaving an AR in the WalMart parking lot.
So I dug out my trusty carbine I bought in 1965 and decided to use it.
It is an early Universal made from GI parts with knock off sling and pouch.
Runs great .
View attachment 133930
very nice.....too nice to leave in a pickup. Surely you can find something more expendable than that.....would hate to see you lose it. a piece of history and alot of fun to shoot.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,011 Posts
Mills, M1 Carbines are nostalgic. My father, a Navy veteran, from WWII, somehow brought one back with him. Unfortunately gave it to an older cousin, 15 years older than I, that went into the Army when I was young.

I've accumulated a couple on my own, a few years ago, an Inland, and National Postal Meter.

The "Inland" shown with the young lady, looks to possibly be an SBR, or possibly have a 16" barrel, instead of 18".

Not necessarily a better choice, but maybe more appropriate would be one of the old Chinese SKS from years ago, new for less than $100, and cases of steel jacketed ammo for less than $100. Guys used to cut the rebar target stands at the range in half with those things... they may have been a little better "truck gun" than the little .30 Carbine!

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
Way back when you didn't have to worry so much about people stealing your stuff and I lived in a smaller East Texas town, it was not unusual for me to have my lever action 30-30 and side-by-side shotgun on full display on a rack in the back window of my truck. Didn't keep them there full time and not for protection but I hunted a lot back then, and I mean a lot, so quite often they stayed in the truck from November through January. These days, in Houston, I would not keep a long gun in my truck anywhere. The way my truck is there is no way to really hide it and even if I could hide the gun it would not be safe from general theft. I ain't in East Texas in the 70's anymore.

If you happen to have a real nice 4x4 with off road tires and a little ground clearance as I do, you might walk out from Wal-Mart or wherever and find the whole truck gone and turned into a mule for hauling illegals across the border. That happened to a friend of mine a few years back.

Reactions: Roystu

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Way back when you didn't have to worry so much about people stealing your stuff and I lived in a smaller East Texas town, it was not unusual for me to have my lever action 30-30 and side-by-side shotgun on full display on a rack in the back window of my truck. Didn't keep them there full time and not for protection but I hunted a lot back then, and I mean a lot, so quite often they stayed in the truck from November through January. These days, in Houston, I would not keep a long gun in my truck anywhere. The way my truck is there is no way to really hide it and even if I could hide the gun it would not be safe from general theft. I ain't in East Texas in the 70's anymore.

If you happen to have a real nice 4x4 with off road tires and a little ground clearance as I do, you might walk out from Wal-Mart or wherever and find the whole truck gone and turned into a mule for hauling illegals across the border. That happened to a friend of mine a few years back.
Well, nothing is like the 70's, even in rural parts of the country. Growing up in small town rural Iowa, every farmer's pick up truck had a gun rack in the back window with a 12 gauge and rifle. Rifle usually a 30-30 or my dad's favorite, a 30.06. It was common and in plain sight. I never heard of anyone getting their guns stolen either.

·
Premium Member
22,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update.
Soooo, I ran into a gent who asked me if I wanted a gun he had out in his shed , for free.
I ask what kind is it.
He said he thinks it's a Carbine.
Sure, let us take a look.
So out comes a weather damaged carbine.
The stock was badly bleached from water damage. Lightly rusted metal.
Much to my chagrin it was a late model Universal with the stamped charging handle.

So I gave it the once over and it did not appear to have been shot much.

Cleaned rust best I could and gave the stock a quickie stain job

This is now the truck gun.
Chair Furniture Metal

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,011 Posts

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,028 Posts
OK, Now that we have seen the nice ole carbine, where is a picture of the truck?

We uncovered a lot of these old M1 Carbines in Nam. They along with BAR's. and all sorts of others rifles,none of us were familiar with, were stored underground. There were all sorts of caches of rice and even folded up sheets of hash in those tunnels. Not to mention the AK,s, SK,s, ammunition and explosives. Some of the old guns must of been from the time the French were there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.