SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My P227 arrived today. It has a “born on” date of January 2019 (The sticker is smudged - I can’t tell if it’s 03, 13, or 23 January)I haven’t gotten out back to the range yet, but I definitely like the feel of the pistol in my hand!

Here’s a question for the collective: Are there any options to change out the controls for a lower profile, like with the P226? The P224 slide catch doesn’t work on the 227...you can install it, but it sits too high and the slide can’t get all the way back onto the frame.

I know from experience that my thumb and standard P-series controls don’t get along. Switching to the P224 slide catch on my P226 and P220 was just enough to solve the problem for me. It’s not the end of the world, but I wend up with a lot of failures to lock back on an empty mag because my thumb catches just enough of the lever to keep it down.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
Congrats!
2021 production is odd, since it has been discontinued for so long.
Nice gun. I had the full-size Nitron (from the first production run) but I decided to sell it and just have my full-size Equinox. I plan on holding onto that one.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
10,900 Posts
Very nice. Congrats.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats!
2021 production is odd, since it has been discontinued for so long.
Nice gun. I had the full-size Nitron (from the first production run) but I decided to sell it and just have my full-size Equinox. I plan on holding onto that one.
Sorry...it's January 2019, not 2021!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right thumb resting across base of left thumb.
That defeats the purpose -- which is to achieve as much contact with the pistol as possible to manage it. The right thumb is straight and along the frame...with the pad resting on the knuckle of the left thumb. The left thumb is also forward, and indexed on the frame just behind the muzzle. The slide catch lever on the P-series is in just the wrong place.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s not live fire (and little chilly and windy today), but the first 10 rounds of laser fire were pretty spot on. This one doesn’t seem to have “shoots low” tendency that my P226 and P220 do. (And I’ve found the laser hits correspond very well to the hits on paper targets when I’m on the range.)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
" The slide catch lever on the P-series is in just the wrong place."

That is a funny statement, considering how many P series examples have been sold.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
That defeats the purpose -- which is to achieve as much contact with the pistol as possible to manage it. The right thumb is straight and along the frame...with the pad resting on the knuckle of the left thumb. The left thumb is also forward, and indexed on the frame just behind the muzzle. The slide catch lever on the P-series is in just the wrong place.

View attachment 394761
Well you asked for "any advice" for the SIG, since by the typical gripping method, you still have the issue with the slide not locking back. So, advice was offered. It's an alternative, and it's not defeating anything. Even the famed Bruce Gray offers such method.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You can replace them with legion controls. However, they would require a little filing on the grip at the slide lock.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well you asked for "any advice" for the SIG, since by the typical gripping method, you still have the issue with the slide not locking back. So, advice was offered. It's an alternative, and it's not defeating anything. Even the famed Bruce Gray offers such method.

I do appreciate it -- but I'm really not interested in learning to grip one gun (out of the 20+ I have) differently. That leads to bad habits with the other ones. Even the famed Bruce Gray said he shoots every other pistol with the same grip. ;)

You can replace them with legion controls. However, they would require a little filing on the grip at the slide lock.
Whoops -- I didn't read closely enough the first time. Thanks - I'll take another look and see what the interference looks like!

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
There are several unique parts to the P227 because it is a double-stack .45ACP. I don't believe that they ever made anything similar to the new, low-profile controls to fit the P227 platform.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are several unique parts to the P227 because it is a double-stack .45ACP. I don't believe that they ever made anything similar to the new, low-profile controls to fit the P227 platform.
I couldn't find anything, which is why I was asking the smart guys!

It's such a tiny little difference -- and it occurs behind the locking block. I should have taken pictures when I had it apart...

Well, I'll overcome!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So after closer examination, it’s not just the grip. The 224 slide catch actually hits the frame.

The mark in the second photo shows how much the 224 control overlaps the frame. Looking at the two controls from the top, you can see how the 227 has a “notch”, where the 224 is solid. So even though they are the same length, the solid portion of 224 extends further and hits the frame.

So while I don’t mind a little filing on the plastic grip, there’s no way I’m hacking on the frame and/or the release!! (Maybe some day I’ll an extra 227 release, grind it down, and redcoat it...but not today!)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Is that a P224 slide catch? If so it will not work. You'll need P226 or P229 legion slide catch. I may have one let me know

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is that a P224 slide catch? If so it will not work. You'll need P226 or P229 legion slide catch. I may have one let me know
So now I’m confused...I thought the P224/P226 Legion were the same part (Part #1201455-R). You’re saying there’s a separate (and different) part for the Legion? 🤔

1 - 20 of 49 Posts