SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a fantastic deal on NIB M11A1 made in 2013. Gander Mountain going out of business had it in their warehouse.

First trip to the range and it has the same issue that many had, Failure to Extract. Happened nearly every magazine loading. My wife's P226 has never acted up.

I think I know the answer to the question I am about ask. Is there anything I should try before sending it back to Sig to have them look at it.

Registered
I got a fantastic deal on NIB M11A1 made in 2013. Gander Mountain going out of business had it in their warehouse.

First trip to the range and it has the same issue that many had, Failure to Extract. Happened nearly every magazine loading. My wife's P226 has never acted up.

I think I know the answer to the question I am about ask. Is there anything I should try before sending it back to Sig to have them look at it.
Failure to Extract? or Fail to Eject?
If its 'stove piping' or just not clearing the ejection port before it goes into battery, it could be a number of issues.

Not extracting is a whole nother can O worms.

Registered
Mine had constant FTEs after about 800 rounds.

I sent mine back to SIG. Everything was on their nickel. They replaced the extractor spring.

All good since. (1,000 + rounds)

Registered
Nearly every time the spent case is only extracted about a third of the way , with the new round pushed underneath the unextracted case.
1. What ammo are you shooting?

2. Check you extractor, see if it moves freely and that the 'claw' that grabs the rim has full motion.
Also, the extractor spring should be fairly stiff. You should need a small screwdriver to move it its full range. In other words, it should be almost to strong to move with your finger.
3. With a spent case chambered, look at the position of the extractor. It should be flush or slightly inward relative to the side of you slide.

Next, check the inside of your chamber, it should be smooth. No burs,
Check your spent brass for extractor marks. Should be slight scuffs and not gouges or bent rims.

Registered
1. What ammo are you shooting?

2. Check you extractor, see if it moves freely and that the 'claw' that grabs the rim has full motion.
Also, the extractor spring should be fairly stiff. You should need a small screwdriver to move it its full range. In other words, it should be almost to strong to move with your finger.
3. With a spent case chambered, look at the position of the extractor. It should be flush or slightly inward relative to the side of you slide.

Next, check the inside of your chamber, it should be smooth. No burs,
Check your spent brass for extractor marks. Should be slight scuffs and not gouges or bent rims.
This^^^^^

And, may I add a good cleaning and lube was hopefully done right out of the box and before the range. If not, do so and try again.

(Actually just got back from the range and shot my M11-A1 and, as usual and from day one, performed flawlessly.)

Registered
Welcome from PA!

Got a new M11-A1 in March. Fired 250 rounds so far. Not one malfunction.

My advice is to call SIG this week. Tuesday-Thursday are the best days.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did completely clean and lube before the trip to the range. I did check extractor and it moves freely but I can move it with my finger nail.

I did read of this issue with this model so made sure to look it over more so than I normally would with a new gun.

My wife's P226 is like an old Army Deuce and half. It runs on anything and all day.

Premium Member

"Fantastic deal" and "Gander Mountain" usually don't go in the same sentence...how fantastic?

Sig'll fix it, ship it fast so you can use it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gander Mountain isn't know for great deals but I did get at fantastic deal on this gun. Hate that going out of business had something to do with that but I will give this gun a great home with my other Sig Sauer pistols.

Registered
I did completely clean and lube before the trip to the range. I did check extractor and it moves freely but I can move it with my finger nail.

I did read of this issue with this model so made sure to look it over more so than I normally would with a new gun.

My wife's P226 is like an old Army Deuce and half. It runs on anything and all day.
Uh... OK...
Again, What ammo you using?
What about the chamber?
What about the spent cases?
What about the position of the extractor when in battery???

A pistol that has extraction issues is not likely to be caught by looking it over. The problem will likely be evident from observations while shooting or at least when cartridges are introduced.

Registered
Work in the magazines a bit. Fully load and unload the magazines all several times, and leave them loaded a couple days before you shoot. And don't shoot weak ammo...no WWB.

Stiff brand new magazine springs and weak ammo are the two top causes for this issue. The M11A1 is tough...it is stiff when new and wants to be treated rough. Congrats on your purchase. You bought what many consider the best SIG made. I would be willing to bet your pistol is perfectly fine. I wouldn't send a brand new pistol back until I'd tried it a bit more. You haven't told us what ammo you were shooting. Well worn P226's do just great with soft ammo. The M11A1 is an overbuilt 9mm tank. That's what makes it great. Feed that thing a steady diet of +P and you'll be grinning ear to ear.

Registered
Work in the magazines a bit. Fully load and unload the magazines all several times, and leave them loaded a couple days before you shoot. And don't shoot weak ammo...no WWB.

Stiff brand new magazine springs and weak ammo are the two top causes for this issue. The M11A1 is tough...it is stiff when new and wants to be treated rough. Congrats on your purchase. You bought what many consider the best SIG made. I would be willing to bet your pistol is perfectly fine. No trip back to SIG needed.
I believe the OP said the spent cartridge is not extracting. only 1/3 the way out of the chamber, and, I presume, the slide is back or at least moves without the case attached. So it sounds like the extractor slipped off the rim.

If so, I don't see how the mag spring could cause that??? Or weak ammo, for that matter.

I had some PPU ammo give me fits because the case rims were out of spec. I don't buy that stuff anymore.:)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The camber looks good as far as I can tell.

I was shooting WWB ammo but I didn't look at the spent case. I don't reload so I donate it to the range to recycle.

My experience with past Sig pistols is they will run anything so I grabbed 2 value packs from Walmart on the way to range.

Registered
I believe the OP said the spent cartridge is not extracting. only 1/3 the way out of the chamber, and, I presume, the slide is back or at least moves without the case attached. So it sounds like the extractor slipped off the rim.

If so, I don't see how the mag spring could cause that???
I've given up overanalyzing the "issues" of brand new M11A1's, so I gloss over the finer details. My opinion still stands that the gun is probably perfectly fine (as are 99% of the other brand new M11A1's with "problems"). If he sent it to me I'd work in the magazines, put some Gold Dots or Ranger-T's in it, and I'd bet big money the gun would function flawlessly. I could be wrong, but I'm betting not. ;)

Registered
The camber looks good as far as I can tell.

I was shooting WWB ammo but I didn't look at the spent case. I don't reload so I donate it to the range to recycle.

My experience with past Sig pistols is they will run anything so I grabbed 2 value packs from Walmart on the way to range.
I was willing to bet money on your ammo choice, and I was not disappointed, which is why I mentioned it specifically in my post. You said you read that this can be an issue with the M11A1, so you must also have read what the most common culprits are. :) Sorry for coming across like a smart alec, but I think you'll be very happy with your pistol if you try my suggestions. Welcome to the forum!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.