SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of avoiding pistols, I finally started investing in a few this past July and have made my share of investment mistakes.

Due to the handgun shortage, I jumped on the chance to get a M18 because I thought it was cool and because not much else I was interested in was available. I would have preferred to have bought a M17, but beggars can't be choosers so I got the M18.

I'll admit to being enchanted by its status as officers firearm and it looks cool, is a great size and has nice 21 round magazines.

My first three shots with it while using irons were all bulls-eyes from 34 feet so I was pretty pleased with it. Perhaps it was beginners luck because I have since found myself struggling and shooting low (and yes, I saw the great tagged post about its combat sights).

I dry fired using MantisX & G-Sight with my M18 and felt I was ready, but every time I'd go to the range I'd get disappointing results with a variety of different ammo. I'd get good groups - just poorly placed - unlike what I was getting with my other pistols on the same day at the same exact location using the same ammo.

I tried getting a DeltaPoint Pro red dot as that made my XFIVE Legion incredible after I got it zeroed. It helped, but I still found myself having mixed results at target practice, so I invested in the M17 exchange kit to move away from it.

I've only shot the M17 with irons, but I had better luck right off the bad than I did with the M18. As a result, I've moved my red dot off the M18 and plan to retire the M18 slide.

I have a soft spot for it as I still love this pistol, but it's been a huge disappointing - pretty much like I've seen any many reviews of it.

I've also come to realize that the trigger is absolute **** compared to my other pistols, and moving it to the M17 slide isn't helping to make things better.

I also have a P320 with Pro Cut Slide with XRAY-3 sights that I put my XFIVE FCU into and it's really the best and most consistently accurate pistol I own - and I own some great pistols.

This makes me wonder, before I decide to sell my M18 with the M17 XChange kit, should I try upgrading the trigger? Part of me thinks that is cheating since I wouldn't be using the same trigger that it was designed to be shot with, but I know I'm tugging like crazy because the trigger sucks compared to what I'm used to.

Am I alone in my disappointment with the M18?

Should I upgrade the trigger, and if so what changes can I make myself to make it significantly better like my XFIVE Legion trigger besides switching to the flat trigger?

Are there any other upgrades? I've actually been extremely disappointed in the full-size spring and rod assembly on the M17 vs what I have on M18, XFIVE Legion and Beretta 92X Performance, so I'm thinking that might be a place to upgrade if I decide to stick with the M17 using the M18 FCU.

The collector in me wants to keep these pistols, but I'm the type that wants to be able to shoot and enjoy the guns I own - not just keep them in a box.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Decide if they are collectors or shooters. There will be so many M17/18 made I doubt there is collector value. Alternatively, save the FCU, get a new one for shooting via the new FCU program. Install the original should you decide to sell

·
Registered
462 Posts
I recommend you try installing a flat trigger. Flat trigger breaks at 90 degrees. I love the flat triggers on the 320s. They run you around $50.00 give or take and are relatively easy to swap out.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Funny, I went the other direction, bought an M17 but sold the complete slide assembly and grip module on Ebay and bought an M18 X-Change kit for what I sold the M17 parts for (and got 3 more 21 round mags with the kit).

I couldn't be happier. I've got enough "duty sized" handguns, wanted something smaller. Liked it so much I bought a complete X-Compact RXP to go even smaller. :)

Also, while it might be an officer sidearm for the dogfaces, it's the standard sidearm for the Corps, and as a Marine, I always felt a little guilty with the M17. :)

One thing you should try is getting a new grip module for it, the ergos on the original P320 grips leave a lot to be desired. Might find that your natural point of aim is better with an X-series or Wilson grip module, and you'll definitely lower the bore axis a bit with either, and the module ergos are probably the main reason you shoot the X5 better.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great timing on M18 discussion. I have the chance to pick up at a reasonable price a M18 and have read about the poor triggers (relatively speaking). I was wondering what kind of (and price) after market trigger I could install on one? This will primarily be a home defense/range pistol as I have a Sig P365 and Shield 2.0 for EDC. Or would I be better served to purchase a Sig X5 Legion (I know sort of apples and oranges). Other range/ home defense pistols I currently own are Sig Legion P226 SAO, Glock 34 Gen 5 and CZ 75B.

thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
I put a GrayGuns adjustable hard duty trigger in my M18 and replaced the Sig grip module with a WC. Feels better and more balanced in the hand. The GG trigger is smooth as silk and breaks better than the factory yet keeps the factory trigger look.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
You didn't mention putting your X5 FCU into your m18- try that and report back on the results...

If it were me in your place I'd send the m18 to Robert Burke/The Sig Armorer and have him work his magic on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You didn't mention putting your X5 FCU into your m18- try that and report back on the results...

Sorry, yes I did put my XFIVE FCU into it and that helped address the pulling issue from the trigger. I still get better results with the XFIVE or the franken-320 I built using the Carry Grip Module, Pro Cut Slide, 4.7" Barrel and factory spring. It's actually my best shooting pistol in dry fire and exceptionally good in live fire, but the XFIVE & Beretta 92X Performance beat it in live fire.

Even with the XFIVE FCU, I still don't get what I'd consider to be great performance so I'm guessing the next problem is also the spring. I've been wondering if I should get the Wilson Combat rod and spring combo because my XFIVE (even though I curse the spring when re-installing) is significantly better at cycling the slide reliably (vs occasional slide hangs on my M17 or ProCut Slide like Hickok45 demonstrated).

If it were me in your place I'd send the m18 to Robert Burke/The Sig Armorer and have him work his magic on it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it seems way too expensive for me.

·
Registered
774 Posts
To the OP:
Have you checked the front and rear sights of your M18? Front/Rear should be 8/8 for a 9mm. If you have a 6/8, that could explain why you're shooting low. As for the trigger, to each his own. All my P320 triggers are all stock courtesy of the Voluntary Upgrade Program. No problems at all.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don't mind being that guy.

Work on the shooter before you work on the gun. You're just chasing your tail if you don't work on your fundamentals with a particular gun before spending a lot of money tinkering with it.

If it's grouping, but not grouping where you want it, it's not the gun. You know this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't mind being that guy.

Work on the shooter before you work on the gun. You're just chasing your tail if you don't work on your fundamentals with a particular gun before spending a lot of money tinkering with it.

If it's grouping, but not grouping where you want it, it's not the gun. You know this.
Fair point, and there's definitely work to do there. However, I'm seeing better results with the other pistols and in dry fire where I've done nearly 3000 rounds and about 500 rounds in live fire with MantisX I can see what my issues are.

With the better triggers I don't pull down and left because I can get a smoother and more consistent pull / follow through. I can see this in dry fire with the G-Sight laser as well as with my CO2 P320 Air Pistol.

With the heavier 92x Performance & XFIVE Legion that use better springs on a separate rod, I get consistency with where my point of aim is after the shot, so I group much better. I also don't get the occasional stovepipes that I get with the M17/M18.

To be fair, having the M17/M18 using combat sight picture vs a traditional poi aim where you see half the target - then going back and forth between the two sight pictures - isn't helping me. :) Having one with a red dot and going back to irons isn't helping too. So, at a high level I have to agree with your assessment that a big part of the problem is self-inflicted.

Thanks for saying what needs to be said though because I am introducing too many variables which makes it difficult to focus on solving one issue at a time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The M18 is factory 6/8 as is the military issued. Military is 6 o'clock poa
Not mine - both the M17 & M18 are both 8/8 but it does require a different sight picture than the pro cut slide with the X-RAY 3 sights, the XFIVE Legion and Beretta 92x Performance - all of which have a traditional sight picture where you need to see half of the bullseye and the bottom half is obscured.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I really don't like Sig's curved triggers. I changed to the Gray Guns flat tigger in my M18 and it's extremely accurate. I also replaced my X5 Legion flat trigger with a Gray Guns flat trigger and it's amazing. I can hit a rabbit in the eye at 25 yards. While it's running. Kidding but i do love it.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Because many of us followed the p365 on an almost daily basis since its launch, we know identical Sig pistol models in 9mm could come with #8 or #6 front sight- so if a 9mm Sig is shooting low with a number 6 front sight, a simple change to a #8 front could help resolve that issue.

Sig tells us they use the "Combat sight picture (front sight's dot covers intended POI)" on all their production pistols, but I haven't seen any Sig or Army docs for the issued m17/m18 pistols' sight picture, so it may or may not be "Combat sight pic" ...

As for the three most common handgun sight pictures and their labels, there's no universal naming convention to rely on, but the below labels seem to be in fairly common use:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts