SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Grandson just picked up a Remington 1911, I was wondering what the general thoughts are on them and also since Remington has filed bankruptcy will there be any parts availabe for them whenever suppliers current stock runs out.

Reactions: BobN and sigsrok

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Most 1911's are like Harley-Davidson motorcycles. You can build a complete HD, without using a single HD factory part. The same is true of most 1911's, with the few exceptions being things like Springfield's EMP, which has about a dozen unique parts, because it is actually a miniaturized version of a 1911.

Obviously there are some other exceptions, but you don't mention which Remington model.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Got one several years ago. After two failures-to-feed on the first box of ammo, it's been absolutely flawless ever since. No complaints here.

About the parts, what GenuineImitation said. Besides, I think it's doubtful that the Remington brand will go away anytime soon, bankruptcy or not. It's changed hands before.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've heard that Remington (usually) slaps together a serviceable 1911. Some of them are actually pretty good shooters, too. Seen a few people at the range using them and they had no complaints. Depending on the model, some of them are actually somewhat drool worthy.

With that said, it would not be my first choice for a manufacturer if I was purchasing a 1911. Parts are not likely to be an issue but warranty support could be tricky.

·
Registered
553 Posts
A friend of mine just told me about a milspec 1911 that his nephew bought recently. The rear sight fell off while shooting it. Not being mechanical at all, he sent it back to Remington. Shooting it again, it fell off...again. The rear sight is slightly “beefier” than the typical milspec sight, and has a set screw in it. If Remington can’t get it to stay, even with a set screw, either the sight is cut too small, or the dovetail is cut too big. Either way, junk! With QC like that, Remington needs to go away.
I’ve got more than a dozen, old Remington bolt action rifles. All are excellent in fit, form and function. Remington has not been “Remington” in a long while. Friends don’t let friends buy Remington...or Marlin!

·
Banned
17,715 Posts
A guy I shoot with every week has one and shoots it at least once a week. He has for the last 5 years or so. It's mostly been trouble free.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I expect that the largest exposure of buying a new Remington gun is the lack of future warranty support.

There are variations of the theme of the M1911a1, and many parts must be hand fitted to work properly, but the basic parts are pretty generic and generally available.

Things like falling off sights are certainly a problem, but the post above could refer to one poorly made gun and bad quality control that let it out into the wild.

Any gun I buy (new or used) gets evaluated before I purchase it. The quality of fitment between even brand new M1911a1 pistols made by a manufacturer varies between individual pistols.

At a recent national match at Camp Perry, Springfield Armory setup a temporary store. The brought a couple hundred M1911a1 pistols to sell, and had them all out on the table so you could pick them up, check the action and make a selection. The one I bought from them was one of the less expensive standard models (a Stainless Loaded) but it was the best fit of the bunch, and with the best trigger.

So... you'll have to judge the individual gun you now own. Best of wishes with it...

(One other oddly related story. One of my club members very much wanted to sell me his 9mm Springfield M1911a1 pistol. I eventually bought it, and he purchased the SIG made M1911a1 that he wanted. A year later, he saw me at the club and told me he wished he had his old Springfield back... He didn't explain himself further, and no... It's still in my safe...)

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Good choice.....I have owned a 1911 Rem R1S...since 2014.....fired hundred of rounds.....never one issue.....the Stainless is a beauty.....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I don't know anything about the new Remingtons, but I've owned several WWII Remington 1911A1's and they were excellent made pistols. I current own a Remington 1911A1 dated to 1945 that I wouldn't trade or sell for any brand new commercial model 45. However a Nighthawk Custom may get me thinking.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I recently bought a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 super and it was a total diva for the first 500 rounds. It’s settled in now but I still have 2 WC mags that are giving me fits.

·
Registered
284 Posts
A friend of mine just told me about a milspec 1911 that his nephew bought recently. The rear sight fell off while shooting it. Not being mechanical at all, he sent it back to Remington. Shooting it again, it fell off...again. The rear sight is slightly “beefier” than the typical milspec sight, and has a set screw in it. If Remington can’t get it to stay, even with a set screw, either the sight is cut too small, or the dovetail is cut too big. Either way, junk! With QC like that, Remington needs to go away.
I’ve got more than a dozen, old Remington bolt action rifles. All are excellent in fit, form and function. Remington has not been “Remington” in a long while. Friends don’t let friends buy Remington...or Marlin!
Oh, absolutely! One lemon means everything they make is junk. :wacko:

·
Registered
835 Posts
They will never run out of parts for the 1911. Even though they filed for bankruptcy the company will likely not disappear

·
Registered
553 Posts
Oh, absolutely! One lemon means everything they make is junk. :wacko:
Well, if you :)wacko:) bother to do any research at all, you will find just a “few” more issues than the one I mention, regarding Remington quality over the past...10 or so years. And most probably, going back 20 years.
But hey, buy what you want. :wacko:
Is there an emoji for uninformed? I’d have used it, if there was one...;)
Edit:
Forgot to again, point out that Remington had the gun for repairs. It came back with the same problem. That, points to more than just one gun being a lemon. That points to (the current company) Remington being junk.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
The 1911 is a Universal Pistol. So many makers have provided so many aftermarket parts for so long that they are like the AR-15. To a great extent, it does not matter who made it, It still works.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
The single stack R1 is a serviceable, reliable 1911 pistol; parts are plentiful. Sights were/are made by Kensight. Their older double stack models (aka Para Ordnance) had their issues and haven't been in production for a couple of years.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought one of the early 1911R1s when they first came out. Its been an excellent pistol. Completely reliable, accurate and has the absolutely best out-of-the box trigger I've ever felt. I couldn't be happier with it.
As for support, as pointed out, parts are everywhere and the 1911 is a simple gun to work on. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, if you :)wacko:) bother to do any research at all, you will find just a “few” more issues than the one I mention, regarding Remington quality over the past...10 or so years. And most probably, going back 20 years.
But hey, buy what you want. :wacko:
Is there an emoji for uninformed? I’d have used it, if there was one...;)
Edit:
Forgot to again, point out that Remington had the gun for repairs. It came back with the same problem. That, points to more than just one gun being a lemon. That points to (the current company) Remington being junk.
Don't pop a vein. :eek:

I did buy what I wanted several years ago and it's perfect. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
No complaints here on Remington Rand....Born June 1945...Anniston rebuilt 05/76.

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have heard only good things from the people who own them that shoot at the range I work at. And if there was a problem and there was someone around for them to tell it to they would.

RCG

·
Registered
835 Posts
[QUOTEThe rear sight fell off while shooting
.[/QUOTE]

Odd. I've had sights, front and read fall off on new Springfield 1911's, S&W 3rd. Gen and a Sig. Guess they are all junk,...yet all still around.

Frankly the 1911 market is over saturated and Remington should just get out of the handgun line.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts