SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want something for home defense use, and would like feedback on the following three options:
MPX Copperhead
MPX K
CZ Scorpion

Would add the ROMEO5 and TLR-2 HLG

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I want something for home defense use, and would like feedback on the following three options:
MPX Copperhead
MPX K
CZ Scorpion

• Do you have a budget? The difference between a Scorpion and an MPX could cover the cost of the accessoriess (+ a sling) that you mention.

• A preferred barrel length - are you looking for a true carbine (16" barrel) or a 'pistol' with a sub-16" barrel and a folding brace?

• Does it need to be a pistol caliber?

Personally, after a decent amount of experimentation, I think that if you're going to carry something that is as large as an AR carbine, and weighs as much as an AR carbine, then you may as well have a rifle caliber. Where pistol caliber options may have benefits that outweigh their disadvantages are when they are significantly smaller and/or lighter than rifle caliber options. For home defense, you are talking about the possible need to maneuver in tight quarters and taking shots at close distances, so a smaller, pistol caliber option could be sufficient. I don't see a lot of advantage to 16" or longer barrels for that situation.

Just my initial food for thought, and I/we may be able to make more specific recommendations with a little more background based on the questions above.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Hammer -
1) I have a budget in mind but want to see what the overall feedback is on the 3 guns to see if the MPX-K is worth the extra $
2) Looking for a short barrel (8" max) and folding brace
3) 9 mm for sure

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have copperhead and k..shot scorpion a few times too..like sig platform better..k adds modularity as can get a different barrel for range..copperhead is best for size but no folding brace..so K?

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Thank you Hammer -
1) I have a budget in mind but want to see what the overall feedback is on the 3 guns to see if the MPX-K is worth the extra $
2) Looking for a short barrel (8" max) and folding brace
3) 9 mm for sure
Ok, that's helpful. I have a Scorpion Evo S1 pistol - 7.75" barrel with a SB Tactical folding brace. Overall length with the brace folded is about 16.5". It has been absolutely rock solid with over 1200 rounds of various ammo without a single malfunction that I can recall. I got mine for sub-$800 and put a few hundred into upgrading the trigger, grip, etc + light & RDS.

I have also shot the MPX carbine, and it is extremely soft-shooting compared to any direct blowback system. Whether that's important really depends on the shooter. For me, shooting 9mm out of a direct blowback gun that weights 6 lbs, I don't find the recoil to be an issue at all, but YMMV. I do think you pay a fair bit more for that softer-shooting MPX platform, and it adds more complexity than a direct blowback platform like the Scorpion, which couldn't be much simpler to take apart, clean and maintain.

One possible advantage to the MPX is that it is essentially an AR platform, with the same controls. So if you want something you can train with that is consistent with an AR, then the MPX would be the choice. The Scorpion has a different manual of arms, more akin to MP/SP5 in terms of charging handle location, mag release, etc. For me, I don't find that switching back and forth between the two is that big of a deal, but I know some people want to have one consistent platform across multiple guns/calibers.

My only other thought is that I don't see much of an advantage to going with a really short barrel on a PCC (3-4") - you're not really gaining much over just using a handgun except a little more stability, and you're really getting into a weapon for very niche application, once you put the "cool factor" aside. I think that 7-8" barrel is ideal.

·
Registered
443 Posts
a shotgun makes a great home defene gun, you will be point shooting in a fearful situation, probale not aiming , a shotgun can clear the space in front of you. think about how you would react, make a plan so you and family know where to retreat to, funnel the enemy into a stairwell and if the come up or down they will pile up before they reach you

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a Scorpion that I modified to hell and back, and one test of a stock MPX-K made me sell it that same week. In comparison to my MPX, Scorp felt bulky, cheap, and in need of too many improvements. Never looked back.

As for the Copperhead - for the same approximate size/price/weight you can have the MPX-K with a slightly longer barrel and vastly better looking design.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I prefer 300BO for home defense or shotgun but I have a CMMG Banshee 300 that’s fantastic. Not quite as soft shooting as a MPX but very linear. It also uses quite a few common AR parts so cheaper to operate IMO. If budget isn’t an issue then go MPX.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd recommend to have a look at Ruger PCC PC9. It is relatively cheap (~700 USD), with a lot of aftermarket parts. It takes Glock mags, including cool 40rds ETS ones.
This is the look of my Ruger PCC before mods:

This is how it looks now, after installing MLOK hand guard and the muzzle brake:

The next step - AR-15-style pistol grip + folding stock, they are ordered and coming soon.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I think it really comes down to what boxes you need to check. There's no denying that the MPX is a more refined platform, and as a result it has become popular with competitive shooters, as well as those who just want a really nice PCC. Similarly, a P229 Legion is a lot nicer in just about every way than a stock G19, and I know I'd pick the former any day of the week, though both will certainly get the job done. But do you need that level of refinement if the only intended usage is home defense? Only you can decide that.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
MPX Copperhead
MPX K
CZ Scorpion

Having shot all three. I ended up buying an 8” gen 2 mpx (sbr’ed) as my primary gun for PCC and a 16” mpx competition model as my backup.

I got rid of the Sig stock and installed an MFT for each MPX. Both are setup identically and the main difference is the longer barrel and hand guard.

Here’s a pic:

The scorpion is okay but in competition, it’s a pain in the back to reload fast.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have no experience with the first two but I've had a Scorpion since 2015. It's an SBR now since the pistol configuration was ridiculous....I bought this when pistol braces were pretty crappy. It's had no telling how many 1000's of rounds through it and has always performed flawlessly and accurate. The only must have mods are an HB Industries trigger spring kit and polish and different safety levers. There's a huge aftermarket for them and they make a great suppressor host. Here's a pic of mine, current configuration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the helpful feedback and advice. I've decided the MPX-K checks all the boxes for me. Now, if they were only available - I see them at some auction sites but nothing at Sig dealers in the Raleigh area.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Thank you all for the helpful feedback and advice. I've decided the MPX-K checks all the boxes for me. Now, if they were only available - I see them at some auction sites but nothing at Sig dealers in the Raleigh area.
Right on. Let us know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Have you tried contacting the Sig Pro Shop? I bought both of my MPX from them. Free fedex 2-day shipping, no sales tax and gave me a 10% military discount.

·
Registered
36 Posts
MPX-K is definitely the way to go, if you can find one. I ended up getting the 4.5" Copperhead and I absolutely love it. The monolithic rail sucks in comparison, but it has enough M-lok slots to get the job done.

I was lucky enough to pick up a Stock for 29.99 when Sig had them on sale. Picked it up and did the SBR thing - had my stamp in less than 3 weeks. It will be my bedside buddy for years to come.

·
Registered
172 Posts
In general, pcc’s (9mm) don’t make the best home defense/backpack rifles. I have a canned MPX-k, it’s great fun. Before this current ammo shortage it was also more affordable to train with 9mm vs 5.56 or 300blkout. If home defense is primery purpose, consider something like a Rattler 300blkout. I have a canned Rattler as well, although I feel the round is more effective without a can. You can run slow boy subs 220gr or fast 110gr super zingers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts