SIG Talk banner

My First P08 Luger: Range Report

725 2
So I had my very first Luger P08 to the range today and I can gladly report not only did it work, I didn't bust it! Actually, it seems a stout little gun....far stronger than I thought.

Put a box of Remington 115gr. ball through it and no hangups.

It shoots high at 7 yards (and 5 yards) maybe three inches.

Sights are just short of ugh....and if weren't a Luger and my first Luger, I'd have my bottle of white-out out and paint the front sight blade.

As for the trigger, it ain't a transcendental experience. Matter of fact it's kinda different. There's some take up, which is fine; then it stops dead and more pressure and it goes bang....but there isn't a clean break...it just sort of shoots.

Clearly I need a lot more trigger time to get used to it. Normally, I'd dry fire with a snap cap at home (at lot)....but with the toggle it's a bit more than a chore than with my Walther P99AS or a S/A where all you have to do is thumb back the hammer.

I need to get more WWB or Rem 115gr.....I don't want to shoot 124 gr. (my usual 9mm load) and a lot more time at the range if I want to get good with it.

I was on the paper, mostly in the black, but I shot the other guns I had with me today, my Walther PPS, Sig 230 and Sig 226 (with .22 conversion) a lot better.

Wondering if it is the trigger design that's different or just my pistol.

Overall, I gotta say it was a good decision to get this gun....I'm happy with everything about it....and will be happier when I can shoot out the X ring consistently.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nice looking Luger you have there. Thanks for the report. I've always had a hankering to get one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That's a nice looking P.08 Redcoat. I agree that the trigger and sights take some getting used to but in time you'll get used to it. It was designed for 124gr FMJ so that shouldn't hurt it at all. If you want to dry fire it you shouldn't have to completely cycle the toggle. You should be able to cock the striker by pulling it up halfway. Now you need a Walther P.38 to complement it.

Yours is only a little younger than mine. Here's my 1936 S/42 :

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.