SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically prefer to leave the guns I use for defense in their stock configuration (internally). But I kept getting the itch to see what I could improve with simple parts swaps. Thankfully, we are finally experiencing a time when some great aftermarket companies are offering parts to improve on the factory configuration. The three SIGs I will show in this post have received the most modifications that I've done to any of my SIG pistols. Some of the others I have also installed the trigger and SRT kit discussed in this post. But these three have the most changes.

I like my guns to all have the same manual of arms. And I like traditional DA/SA guns. With the exception of some 1911s, and one striker fired (my G20 Gen 4 10mm), all the guns I shoot regularly are SIG DA/SA pistols or they have the same manual of arms as the SIG DA/SA pistols.

I wanted a P220, a P226 and a P229, configured the same, with a goal of improving my accuracy, including my DA-to-SA shot transition. I did not want to make changes just for the sake of adding bling. I wanted to improve my trigger control and accuracy and, if possible, the reliability of critical components, by using precision machined steel parts rather than the often-imprecise MIM parts. I have conducted a lot of testing with a wide range of practice and defense loads from different brands. I am so pleased with the results, and confident in their reliability, that I plan to start carrying these regularly as soon as I decide on which custom Kydex holsters I want to use. These will be my primary year-round carry pistols (though I will still occasionally carry others like my P239).

I will introduce them first and then describe what I did to them.

The Pistols:

These are the three SIGs that have pretty much become my favorite "shooters". From top to bottom:
  • P220 "Black Combat" .45ACP
  • P226 MK25 9mm
  • P229 Elite 9mm (as pictured)

Post1.JPG

Pictured in reverse order and orientation:
  • P226 MK25 9mm
Post2.JPG

Post3.JPG

P220 "Black Combat", or "The P220 That Should Have Been":

I had wanted a black P220 with a 1913 rail for a long time. But the only one SIG made was the P220, 40th Anniversary Edition, SKU 220-45-CP-BSS-TB-40TH. But I didn't like the giant white billboard painted on the 40th slide and I didn't want a threaded barrel. I kept thinking about buying the 40th, replacing the threaded barrel with a standard barrel and sending the slide in to SIG to be refinished in basic Nitron, creating a P220 "Black Combat". But I kept putting it off due to the cost and hassle. Fortunately, another member of the forum wanted to do the same thing...and did. He later decided to sell it and I purchased it. The 40th Anniversary P220 has the internals of the P220 Combat with electroless nickel plated parts and phosphate coated parts for corrosion resistance. The picture below is of a 40th Anniversary I found on the Internet with my P220 "Black Combat".
P220_40_To_BlkCombat.JPG

Pistol-specific Modifications:

The P220 "Black Combat" is the only one of the three to have modifications specific to it (they were not made to the other two pistols). As previously noted, these modifications were to refinish the slide to be solid black Nitron, getting rid of the white billboard lettering on the slide, and the threaded barrel was replaced by a standard factory barrel.

Common Modifications To All Three Guns:

All three guns received the following modifications:
  • Grayguns Dual-adjustable, Curved Trigger (SKU TRG-SIG-22X-DAC)
  • Grayguns SRT Kit (SKU SYS-SIG-22X-SRS):
    • Sear
    • Safety Lever
    • 19 pound mainspring from SRT Kit
  • Armory Craft DA/SA Skeletonized Hammer (reduced mass hammer)
  • Armory Craft (New) SPORT Takedown Lever
  • Trijicon HD Tritium sights with yellow front outline
  • Streamlight TLR-8A G, 500 lumen light with green laser, with "1913-2" key for all three
  • Hogue G10 Black Piranha grips
  • Matrix Precision Part's aluminum SIG mainspring seats (just for the heck of it)
  • Smoothed the edges of the lower end of the hammer strut
  • Smoothed edges of trigger bars
I have everything to convert both the MK25 and the P229 to any of the three calibers, but I will likely keep the MK25 configured in 9mm. Right now, the P229 is configured in 9mm but I have .40S&W and .357SIG conversions to use on it. I typically carry either 9mm or .40S&W.

The new Armory Craft SPORT Takedown Lever is pretty nice. It has a sufficient surface to use similar to the Gas Pedal TDLs and has aggressive serrations to allow your thumb to grip the surface. I feel like it works better for me on the P220 and P226 than on the P229. My support hand thumb just naturally falls where it needs to be on the TDL when shooting the P220 or P226. But it still seems to provide some benefit on the P229. Either way, it is machined from a single piece of steel for strength. One thing I didn't notice at Armory Craft's website when I ordered the TDLs, is that they have a standoff/offset machined into them to keep them from scratching a circular swipe into your frame's finish over time. This is easily seen in the photos of the Armory Craft TDL below.
TDLComposite.jpg

I really like the compact, 500 lumen light with green laser. The way that I have it mounted allows me to easily activate it with my trigger finger from the index position on the side of the frame, or activate it with the thumb or index finger of my support hand. I wish that the P229 has a 1913 rail, but with the newer lights from Streamlight, and the right key (1913-2 for me), the TLR-8A G fits perfectly on either the 1913 rail or the SIG proprietary rail.

I wish I could say that I have all sorts of statistics on actual, measured "before-and-after" values for things like trigger pull weight or accuracy when firing from a Ramsom Rest or something similar. But before I started down the path of creating three P2xx pistols with the same configuration, this started as "tinkering" on one to see how changing a part out would affect the gun. A part here, a part there. Discovering a new part introduced by a vendor that wasn't available when I started "tinkering" and deciding I had to try that new part. Then trying it on another SIG. When I reached a configuration that I liked on one of them, I decided that the other two had to be the same. In fact, this "journey" started over two years ago when I decided I had to try Grayguns' Dual-adjustable, Curved Trigger and SRT kit. As described in that thread, I really liked both!!

While the Grayguns SRT kit that I originally discussed used the SIG factory safety lever (called LEVER-9), all three of these guns have the Grayguns SRT Kit that has the new, modified safety lever from Grayguns seen in the picture below from their website. I did not have to perform any filing/fitting on the safety lever for either gun. The top lug of the safety lever which engages the safety lock is just flush with the top of the frame's slide rails when decocked. This provides maximum lift of the safety lock when the trigger is pulled.

GG_SRT.JPG

The feel of the action on these just seems more "solid" and far smoother than before. The DA trigger pull is much easier with the 19-pound mainspring. By having all the slack removed in the trigger, having a consistent overtravel stop across the three pistols, with the easy trigger pull, the accuracy of my DA-to-SA shot transitions have experienced dramatic improvement. I do not mess with the sear spring tension. That is one thing I do not believe in screwing with on a pistol used for self-defense. And it really isn't needed. With the 19-pound mainspring recommended by Grayguns as the minimum for defensive use, and the reduced-mass hammer, I have experienced 100% reliability in ignition with all ammo that I've tested.

Maybe these changes will inspire others to try some modifications for the benefits rather than the bling.

I will try to add more thoughts when I feel better.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Did someone have the week off? Wow, quite the tour de force on your customzing of your Sigs. Nice write up.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Nice, real nice.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,306 Posts
Congratulations GBIA, sharp looking trio, and glad you got them to where "you" feel comfortable! Thanks for the detailed approach!

·
Premium Member
8,469 Posts
I typically prefer to leave the guns I use for defense in their stock configuration (internally). But I kept getting the itch to see what I could improve with simple parts swaps. Thankfully, we are finally experiencing a time when some great aftermarket companies are offering parts to improve on the factory configuration. The three SIGs I will show in this post have received the most modifications that I've done to any of my SIG pistols. Some of the others I have also installed the trigger and SRT kit discussed in this post. But these three have the most changes.

I like my guns to all have the same manual of arms. And I like traditional DA/SA guns. With the exception of some 1911s, and one striker fired (my G20 Gen 4 10mm), all the guns I shoot regularly are SIG DA/SA pistols or they have the same manual of arms as the SIG DA/SA pistols.

I wanted a P220, a P226 and a P229, configured the same, with a goal of improving my accuracy, including my DA-to-SA shot transition. I did not want to make changes just for the sake of adding bling. I wanted to improve my trigger control and accuracy and, if possible, the reliability of critical components, by using precision machined steel parts rather than the often-imprecise MIM parts. I have conducted a lot of testing with a wide range of practice and defense loads from different brands. I am so pleased with the results, and confident in their reliability, that I plan to start carrying these regularly as soon as I decide on which custom Kydex holsters I want to use. These will be my primary year-round carry pistols (though I will still occasionally carry others like my P239).

The Pistols:

These are the three SIGs that have pretty much become my favorite "shooters". From top to bottom:
  • P226 MK25 9mm

View attachment 379399

• P226 MK25 9mm
View attachment 379402

View attachment 379413

I had wanted a black P220 with a 1913 rail for a long time. But the only one SIG made was the P220, 40th Anniversary Edition, SKU 220-45-CP-BSS-TB-40TH. But I didn't like the giant white billboard painted on the 40th slide and I didn't want a threaded barrel. I kept thinking about buying the 40th, replacing the threaded barrel with a standard barrel and sending the slide in to SIG to be refinished in basic Nitron, creating a P220 "Black Combat". But I kept putting it off due to the cost and hassle. Fortunately, another member of the forum wanted to do the same thing...and did. He later decided to sell it and I purchased it. The 40th Anniversary P220 has the internals of the P220 Combat with electroless nickel plated parts and phosphate coated parts for corrosion resistance. The picture below is of a 40th Anniversary I found on the Internet with my P220 "Black Combat". View attachment 379398

The P220 "Black Combat" is the only one of the three to have modifications specific to it (they were not made to the other two pistols). As previously noted, these modifications were to refinish the slide to be solid black Nitron, getting rid of the white billboard lettering on the slide, and the threaded barrel was replaced by a standard factory barrel.

• Sear
    • Safety Lever
  • Streamlight TLR-8A G, 500 lumen light with green laser, with "1913-2" key for all three
  • Matrix Precision Part's aluminum SIG mainspring seats (just for the heck of it)
I have everything to convert both the MK25 and the P229 to any of the three calibers, but I will likely keep the MK25 configured in 9mm. Right now, the P229 is configured in 9mm but I have .40S&W and .357SIG conversions to use on it. I typically carry either 9mm or .40S&W.

The new Armory Craft SPORT Takedown Lever is pretty nice. It has a sufficient surface to use similar to the Gas Pedal TDLs and has aggressive serrations to allow your thumb to grip the surface. I feel like it works better for me on the P220 and P226 than on the P229. My support hand thumb just naturally falls where it needs to be on the TDL when shooting the P220 or P226. But it still seems to provide some benefit on the P229. Either way, it is machined from a single piece of steel for strength. One thing I didn't notice at Armory Craft's website when I ordered the TDLs, is that they have a standoff/offset machined into them to keep them from scratching a circular swipe into your frame's finish over time. This is easily seen in the photos of the Armory Craft TDL below.
View attachment 379417

I really like the compact, 500 lumen light with green laser. The way that I have it mounted allows me to easily activate it with my trigger finger from the index position on the side of the frame, or activate it with the thumb or index finger of my support hand. I wish that the P229 has a 1913 rail, but with the newer lights from Streamlight, and the right key (1913-2 for me), the TLR-8A G fits perfectly on either the 1913 rail or the SIG proprietary rail.

I wish I could say that I have all sorts of statistics on actual, measured "before-and-after" values for things like trigger pull weight or accuracy when firing from a Ramsom Rest or something similar. But before I started down the path of creating three P2xx pistols with the same configuration, this started as "tinkering" on one to see how changing a part out would affect the gun. A part here, a part there. Discovering a new part introduced by a vendor that wasn't available when I started "tinkering" and deciding I had to try that new part. Then trying it on another SIG. When I reached a configuration that I liked on one of them, I decided that the other two had to be the same. In fact, this "journey" started over two years ago when I decided I had to try Grayguns' Dual-adjustable, Curved Trigger and SRT kit. As described in that thread, I really liked both!!

While the Grayguns SRT kit that I originally discussed used the SIG factory safety lever (called LEVER-9), all three of these guns have the Grayguns SRT Kit that has the new, modified safety lever from Grayguns seen in the picture below from their website. I did not have to perform any filing/fitting on the safety lever for either gun. The top lug of the safety lever which engages the safety lock is just flush with the top of the frame's slide rails when decocked. This provides maximum lift of the safety lock when the trigger is pulled.

View attachment 379418

The feel of the action on these just seems more "solid" and far smoother than before. The DA trigger pull is much easier with the 19-pound mainspring. By having all the slack removed in the trigger, having a consistent overtravel stop across the three pistols, with the easy trigger pull, the accuracy of my DA-to-SA shot transitions have experienced dramatic improvement. I do not mess with the sear spring tension. That is one thing I do not believe in screwing with on a pistol used for self-defense. And it really isn't needed. With the 19-pound mainspring recommended by Grayguns as the minimum for defensive use, and the reduced-mass hammer, I have experienced 100% reliability in ignition with all ammo that I've tested.

Maybe these changes will inspire others to try some modifications for the benefits rather than the bling.

Wow! Great write up. Great information. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,469 Posts

The Pistols:

• P226 MK25 9mm

View attachment 379399

• P226 MK25 9mm
View attachment 379402

View attachment 379413

I had wanted a black P220 with a 1913 rail for a long time. But the only one SIG made was the P220, 40th Anniversary Edition, SKU 220-45-CP-BSS-TB-40TH. But I didn't like the giant white billboard painted on the 40th slide and I didn't want a threaded barrel. I kept thinking about buying the 40th, replacing the threaded barrel with a standard barrel and sending the slide in to SIG to be refinished in basic Nitron, creating a P220 "Black Combat". But I kept putting it off due to the cost and hassle. Fortunately, another member of the forum wanted to do the same thing...and did. He later decided to sell it and I purchased it. The 40th Anniversary P220 has the internals of the P220 Combat with electroless nickel plated parts and phosphate coated parts for corrosion resistance. The picture below is of a 40th Anniversary I found on the Internet with my P220 "Black Combat". View attachment 379398

• Sear
    • Safety Lever

View attachment 379417

View attachment 379418

Wow! Great write up. Great information. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
10,892 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts