SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying that I don't enjoy writing this. I'm a Supporting Member of this forum, and have on numerous occasions in the past defended Sig when others have been disappointed or had frustrating experiences. But at this point, I think my experience with Sig customer service is worth sharing:

I purchased a 1911 Tacops 10mm back in early April. Over the course of putting a few hundred rounds through it, I noticed excessive wear on the left side of the dust cover, and as I looked more carefully at the pistol from the muzzle end, it was clear that the slide and frame were not evenly aligned. At first, I convinced myseld I could live with that, but the more I thought about it, and as it got worse, I decided that I had paid $1200 for a premium pistol in Sig's lineup, and that this wasn't acceptable.

So I sent the pistol back to Sig, and was really impressed that literally the day after it was received, I had a response from customer service saying that they had decided to replace it completely, and asking where I wanted it sent. I was truly blown away at how quickly I got a response, and how quickly it seemed like it was going to be dealt with.

That was July 9th.

I have patiently inquired several times since (about once a month), but I have always been polite and I have not been badgering them at all. The last response I got from the rep a few weeks ago, after more than two months of waiting, was,

"I don’t have an update for you. As soon as there is another production run for these, we will send a replacement to your dealer and they will contact you. I don’t have a date as to when that will be.".

Does she really think I'm so clueless that I don't know that Sig plans their production schedule in advance? Does she expect me to believe that neither she, nor anyone else she works with, has access to this schedule? At a minimum, confirming whether or not the Tacops is even on the production schedule for the foreseeable future doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

In addition, about a month ago, I was at my local Sig dealer and noticed they had a 1911 Tacops 10mm in stock. So I reached out to the same CS rep I had been corresponding with and asked if I could have the Tacops that was at my authorized ELITE dealer (where I am a regular customer), transferred to me, and then they could replace it in the store's inventory whenever they got around to making more of them? No response at all to that proposal.

It is now almost 3-1/2 months with no replacement pistol. But even worse - no clue of when I may actually have one.

At this point, given the completely lame responses I've gotten from the CS rep, it's hard for me to conclude anything other than Sig has become excessively focused on cranking cheap plastic out the door, and that this is negatively affecting their support for their premium all-metal classic offerings. For a $1200 investment, I expect better support that this. I have never had to use their customer service before. I own a half a dozen Sigs, and they have all run well, until this. But now I have to really question whether I can trust that Sig will have my back if I have another issue. I put this out there as a cautionary tale.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow. Sorry for your experience with Sig CS. I've been a member here since March and I browse a lot though the forum on my downtime at work, even older stuff from YEARS ago just to continue to grow in my knowledge and I've seen many of your posts which are always thought out thoroughly and insightful. Hope they resolve everything for you soon!

·
Registered
135 Posts
The first EVER pistol I got was a father's day gift from my son's back in 2019. 1911 We The People. I emailed a question about the warranty procedure and was informed that since I wasn't the"purchaser" that there wasn't any warranty for it. This pistol was never registered with Sig and was purchased through the LGS my son deal's regularly. I went ahead and continued with the warranty registration through Sig under my name. Fortunately I have not had any problems what so ever with it yet. Have close to 3000 rounds through it at this time. I feel bad for you and really do hope that "all good things come to those that wait" is true in your case.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hmmm. It's hard to conclude they really care about taking care of you (by keeping their promise) on a timely basis. Would a call or a registered letter, return receipt to the CEO be in order? What have you got to lose by starting to play hard ball with them at this point? What is telling you they will move quickly? Have they honored their warranty? This is really disappointing being a Sig owner myself and having human empathy for you. You are very patient. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Patience isn't working. Just my thoughts. Hope it works out soon.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. It's hard to conclude they really care about taking care of you (by keeping their promise) on a timely basis. Would a call or a registered letter, return receipt to the CEO be in order? What have you got to lose by starting to play hard ball with them at this point? What is telling you they will move quickly? Have they honored their warranty? This is really disappointing being a Sig owner myself and having human empathy for you. You are very patient. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Patience isn't working. Just my thoughts. Hope it works out soon.
Yeah, that's pretty much the point that I am at. The next email that they receive from me is going to have a very different tone than our correspondence has been so far. I have been on the receiving end of unhappy customers many times in the past, and as a result, I try to be very restrained when it comes to being "that guy." But it seems appropriate to take it to the next level at this point.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I had a similar experience with Standard Manufacturing. It was so bad in fact that rather than send them back my brand new NON FUNCTIONING pistol which is under full warranty I sent it to TSA. I would rather pay Mr Burke to fix it than ever talk to Standard CS again. As soon as I get it back from TSA I will post the full experience with Standard. I might add that I bought this pistol direct from Standard, No Middle man. Supposedly came right off the smiths bench to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not sure how CS with Sig has been in the past but since I received mine, at first all my lurking around on different sites and youtuding all I heard was very positive reviews. It just seems like just recently, say this year, I have seen more and more complaints about their CS. Makes me think that perhaps a change in management and/or employees in these departments have recently occurred? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how CS with Sig has been in the past but since I received mine, at first all my lurking around on different sites and youtuding all I heard was very positive reviews. It just seems like just recently, say this year, I have seen more and more complaints about their CS. Makes me think that perhaps a change in management and/or employees in these departments have recently occurred? Just a thought.
I would agree. I feel like I used to see a lot more positive reviews of their customer service in the past, and am hearing of more negative experiences this year. I'm willing to chalk some of that up to the Covid craziness and increased demand, but still - I don't think that excuses what I'm going through right now, being out of an expensive pistol for 3-1/2 months with no assurance of when I might see it again.

I'm wondering how much of it has to do with the military contracts and their focus going largely toward cranking out polymer pistols these days, because that's where the real money (and demand) is. But I don't see that as a valid excuse for this, either.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After more back and forth today, and me letting them know in no uncertain terms that this was unacceptable, I'm basically right back where I started - with vague suggestions of when my pistol might be available.

After the rep re-asserted that they "don’t have access to see what is in current production and when things are being made," I was then told, "As far as your model, you are probably looking at delivery around mid-October."

Well, if you don't have access to see when things are being made, then how exactly are you coming up with "mid-October?"

I was also offered to pick "an alternate model or an upgrade." I pointed out that the only alternate they offer in 10mm is the P220 Legion, and that I would take one of those. I then got the response that it's not available either. So then why the hell are you offering me an "alternate or upgrade?"

It seems I have no choice but to continue waiting and hope I see a replacement some day. I purchased this pistol way back in the Spring because I intended to hunt with it this Fall, and wanted plenty of time with it before that. So much for that plan.

·
Registered
14,727 Posts
Sig Does Not Have A Set Production Schedule.
Also COVID 19 Is Having A Big Effect on Production Not Just at Sig, but Every Where.
Back on Nov 19 2014 I Special Ordered a P239 Nitron in 357 Sig and was told to expect it in two weeks. It Did Not Happen. The build date on that pistol is MARCH 2 2015 The Dealer received it on March 11 2015. Back then there was no Pandemic or other such things.
With what is going on now I would say it will take at least November before production for that pistol is started. Sig Has very big Contracts that They are trying to fulfill on a timely basis and Will Not Stop production on those contracts to run say maybe 2000 pieces of that model. Taking the Pandemic in to consideration I would say that it could be the first of next year to receive a replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sig Does Not Have A Set Production Schedule.
With all due respect, I find that very hard to believe. Do they just go to work every morning and say, "Gosh, what do we want to make today?"
There is no production without advance planning.

Also COVID 19 Is Having A Big Effect on Production Not Just at Sig, but Every Where.
Back on Nov 19 2014 I Special Ordered a P239 Nitron in 357 Sig and was told to expect it in two weeks. It Did Not Happen. The build date on that pistol is MARCH 2 2015 The Dealer received it on March 11 2015. Back then there was no Pandemic or other such things.
With what is going on now I would say it will take at least November before production for that pistol is started. Sig Has very big Contracts that They are trying to fulfill on a timely basis and Will Not Stop production on those contracts to run say maybe 2000 pieces of that model. Taking the Pandemic in to consideration I would say that it could be the first of next year to receive a replacement.
Thanks. I'm well aware of the impacts of Covid on production across the industry and beyond.

I don't think any of that makes this acceptable at this point. There are multiple ways they could have made this right (or at least better), knowing full well since making the decision to replace it that they likely wouldn't be able to do so for a long time. They have not offered me a refund, and when I suggested it, I got no response to that. They offered me an "alternative or upgrade" - which it turns out they don't have, either. They have told me they don't know when they will be making more of them, and then strangely told me it will likely be "mid-Oct," which at this point I have zero confidence in.

Covid aside, the communication has been vague, largely unhelpful and not solution-oriented, other than offering me "a few extra mags when my item ships" after I finally let them know I was ticked off, which wasn't until today.

The one thing I will fully agree with you on is that they are focused on "big contracts." And that tells me all I need to know about where I fit in as a loyal customer.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If you want a 1911 that works and will become a treasured possession, buy (in order of ascending price point) a Colt, Dan Wesson (Valor or later), Springfield Professional (FBI contract gun), Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom. I own examples of all of the foregoing and personally, if I were to go out and purchase an over-the-counter 1911 that I could stake my life on, it would be a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want a 1911 that works and will become a treasured possession, buy (in order of ascending price point) a Colt, Dan Wesson (Valor or later), Springfield Professional (FBI contract gun), Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom. I own examples of all of the foregoing and personally, if I were to go out and purchase an over-the-counter 1911 that I could stake my life on, it would be a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom.
Yup. While I've been impressed with the two other Sig 1911s I own (an Ultra Carry and an Emperor Scorpion Carry), I ordered a new Dan Wesson yesterday. And if I could, I'd just get a refund on the Tacops and put it into a DW Razorback.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No excuses. But, a data-point: I ordered a scope from Vortex Optics, direct. They stated that, due to the limits imposed on them by their state and Covid-19, their production was slow. Also, demand was astronomical. Between the two forces, my scope is back-ordered about 3-4 months.

I'm sure Sig is dealing with similar issues.

I assume you did not leave yourself without a firearm? The fact that they'll replace it, completely, for a cosmetic issue is still pretty darn good. (Not saying they should or shouldn't. I'm focusing on the fact that the issue did not affect the function of the firearm.)

You know you'll be set right. It's just taking too darn long, right?

I've heard that they go through "surge" manufacturing, where they do a lot of one thing, then the swap over to another. Looks like your pistol isn't in the current wave of production.

Nice that it's gonna be swapped out though. I would've thought that they'd go for the swap with your dealer. Not sure what's up with that? Maybe too many moving parts? You're the buyer/registered owner: the dealer isn't. He paid money...they'd have to reimburse, versus sending you a product? Not that you should be caught up in it.

·
Registered
21,385 Posts
I have seen SIG 1911s with that problem for quite a while. In fact, when I posted a review of my Remington R1 Hunter 10mm long slide, back in Feb 2017, I mentioned how that gap was perfect and consistent on the Remington, but SIG has a problem doing that. But the Remington has other problems that I haven't bothered working on yet.

My P229 SAS Gen 2 .40S&W is actually my second one. The first one had a problem and SIG offered to replace it. They couldn't tell me when I would get one. I had to wait for another production run. As I recall, I had to wait over two months, and it was a popular seller at the time. In your case, the TACOPS is the only catalogued 1911 10mm that SIG has produced. There were at least two other 10mm 1911s that SIG produced as distributor exclusives, but those were never catalogued by SIG. Never mentioned by SIG as far as I know. SIG's production runs are no doubt tied to a need for a minimum order size from one or more distributors before committing to production. I would have to wonder how long it will be before they get an order big enough to make a run. Unfortunate. I just looked and there are only 5 on Gunbroker, only three are new and one of those is reserved for LEO/First responder discount sale.

Hard to recommend what to do.

It is unfortunate to have to wait for them to build one. And to be dependent upon how many others are wanting the same thing as you before they build you one. :(

I hope that they can get one for you before too much more time passes.

·
Registered
35,177 Posts
Hammer

Have you gone up to supervisor level, or higher? Like Tim Butler ?

This is a very unusual year. and I have heard of many new people at the rep level.
Also I doubt the CS reps have access to production schedules. They are limited.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No excuses. But, a data-point: I ordered a scope from Vortex Optics, direct. They stated that, due to the limits imposed on them by their state and Covid-19, their production was slow. Also, demand was astronomical. Between the two forces, my scope is back-ordered about 3-4 months.

I'm sure Sig is dealing with similar issues.

I assume you did not leave yourself without a firearm? The fact that they'll replace it, completely, for a cosmetic issue is still pretty darn good. (Not saying they should or shouldn't. I'm focusing on the fact that the issue did not affect the function of the firearm.)

You know you'll be set right. It's just taking too darn long, right?

I've heard that they go through "surge" manufacturing, where they do a lot of one thing, then the swap over to another. Looks like your pistol isn't in the current wave of production.

Nice that it's gonna be swapped out though. I would've thought that they'd go for the swap with your dealer. Not sure what's up with that? Maybe too many moving parts? You're the buyer/registered owner: the dealer isn't. He paid money...they'd have to reimburse, versus sending you a product? Not that you should be caught up in it.
For sure. And yeah, ultimately, I'm fully willing to admit this is pretty much a "First World Problem." I'll survive, with other options at my disposal. I was just pretty excited about finally getting one of these after looking at them for a year, and now it's been out of my hands longer than I owned it, without much end in sight.

I was surprised they didn't agree to the dealer swap either. My LGS is an "Elite" level dealer who sells a ton of Sigs, and I'm guessing Sig could have simply credited them for the amount. It wouldn't have been a big deal for the dealer, especially in these times when product is flying out the door, and it would have made a customer happy. But apparently that wasn't an option, for some reason.

Hammer

Have you gone up to supervisor level, or higher? Like Tim Butler ?

This is a very unusual year. and I have heard of many new people at the rep level.
Also I doubt the CS reps have access to production schedules. They are limited.
No, at least not yet. Like I said, I think I've been pretty chill about it, and willing to be understanding and patient, until recently when I finally hit a wall. In large part just because of the recent responses I received. I'm not generally one to be a major squeeky wheel. Instead, it will just inform my future choices.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No offense, but why not just get it refunded? Then you can go and buy what you want.
I mentioned that to them, and got no response. I don't think it's that simple, since I didn't purchase the gun directly from Sig, but from a dealer, and now that the gun is in Sig's hands, and they've decided to replace it, I don't believe it's up to the dealer to issue the refund. When the new gun arrives at the dealer, I'll decide what to do from there.

Regardless, after sleeping on it, I've put things in perspective. Thanks for letting me vent folks, and I promise to keep future venting to a minimum, and focus on the positive.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I am sure you are aware that all business's are overwhelmed due to demand of our times...all gun companies are maxed out. I get the frustration, but the customer service rep is probably answering phone non stop and is just maxed out. I had a Desert Eagle a few years back that needed a barrel.....after much correspondence they finally told me they couldn't tell me when I would get a replacement, it would be next run which was maybe in a year? No company is perfect and stuff happens; it is unfortunate when it happens to us. BELEAVE ME....I am sure they want to help you. The rep can only do so much. Getting nasty will not speed it up, it usually will slow it down. You don't have a lot of options wanting warranty service.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts