SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please checkout this video of my youngest son shooting our 9mm P226 SAO Legion. We where shooting 124 grain S&B ammo this past Saturday. He's only 7 years old and weighs 62 lbs. he's becoming quite the shot. He's the talk of the range when we go because he's so small and can outshoot a lot of the grown ups out there. It's so awesome to watch. Definitely a proud daddy here. Like it if you enjoy watching it. He's really trying hard. Thanks for all the support. We have the best forum here at sig talk.

https://youtu.be/_ylNwZfKGBc

"God created men and Sam Colt made them equal"

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's so awesome to watch guys. I appreciate the kind words. He's hard on himself when he misses too. The range we frequent is a tactical training facility so a lot of police departments train there. They all normally crowd up and watch him. He doesn't really get nervous. He just shoots lights out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good. Keep keepin at it.
And I'm sure your adamant about safety.

Safety 1st for sure. We protect eyes and ears, and always pointed down range. No distractions. Focus, mind is clear of all obstacles and the finger never touches the trigger until ready to fire. We only point at what we're shooting. That's the crazy thing with him. The police officers that watch him always comment on his fundamentals with the handling of the firearms. I have videos up on YouTube shooting his .243, Springfield Saint, P938....and so on. His knowledge when talking to him will blow you away. His idea of fun is studying both modern and vintage military style weapons. He can tell you things that I have no clue what he's talking about. I've pictures of him holding $70,000 full automatic guns at the local gun shop that has a military museum as well in it. They let him have his way in the place because he knows what everything is and it draws them tons of business.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Safety 1st for sure. We protect eyes and ears, and always pointed down range. No distractions. Focus, mind is clear of all obstacles and the finger never touches the trigger until ready to fire. We only point at what we're shooting. That's the crazy thing with him. The police officers that watch him always comment on his fundamentals with the handling of the firearms. I have videos up on YouTube shooting his .243, Springfield Saint, P938....and so on. His knowledge when talking to him will blow you away. His idea of fun is studying both modern and vintage military style weapons. He can tell you things that I have no clue what he's talking about. I've pictures of him holding $70,000 full automatic guns at the local gun shop that has a military museum as well in it. They let him have his way in the place because he knows what everything is and it draws them tons of business.

Awesome. Keep on keepin on brother.
Im serious, you may have the next Max Michelle.
I really wish I would have gotten into shooting so many years before now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate everyone's kind words. I'm normally not into the whole sharing videos, watch my kid do..... but I couldn't not share this. Of course I'm a proud dad but I wanted all to see this little 62 lbs kid who's hands are nowhere big enough to hold the pistol in the recommended position shoot with authority. I think he missed 6 out of 18 from 12 yards and not just shoot at one plate he tries to ping them all.

Reactions: DubfromGA

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know I'm revealing my age, but when I was a kid guns were just a part of life. We all shot BB guns and 22s. Surplus Mausers were on sale in a barrel at Woolworths. Kids brought their dads' hunting rifles to school for show and tell.

Now firearms are made to be something to fear by parents, teachers and politicians. But every movie, video game and TV show they watch glorifies the use of guns in killing others. Shooting someone is the go to form of settling problems in the entertainment industry.

You would think that back in my day there would be more shootings since guns were accepted and available. No, now is the time violence is at an all time high. The more people try to restrict them, the more guns are used in the wrong way. It's weird how that works, isn't it?

Good for you on teaching your boy to use a gun safely. Teaching responsibility, respect and the proper way to use things in life is a good approach. I would bet that he will grow up well adjusted and level headed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Super good deal. Great stance. Shoulders forward soaking it up.
What's he say at the end? "...................I can't get it right?!"
Can't make out the first few words?

He's says at the end "no matter what I try, I can't get it right. He was being hard on himself for missing a few shots. He takes it very seriously.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Care to share how he was trained?

The only training he's been given is from me. We go once a week to the range sometimes missing a week here and there and I'll tell him the way to hold the gun, stand, etc. It' hard to believe but he's never had one single professional training session. I just started letting him hold the gun and shoot it all by himself since the beginning of March. Maybe 6-7 weeks. He just soaks the things I tell him up like a sponge. He's going to 3rd grade next year and he's extremely smart. He's in the gifted classes at school. My wife (his mom) is gifted as well. She's a teacher and went through college without paying one cent. She went on academic scholarships. It seems as though he's definitely got his mom's smarts lol. I have a 13 year old boy as well who enjoys shooting but this little one of mine is crazy about shooting and he's capable of shooting lights out. He absolutely loves Sig Sauer. I guess he gets that back from me as my wife has a glock 43 and I have several Sig's ;). His knowledge of firearms blows me away. He can identify guns (especially military weaponry both new and vintage) with almost expert precision. I can only identify the most popular ones. He's a true pleasure to be around and especially if you're a shooting enthusiasts.

I will continue videoing his progress and sharing if you guys would like me too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a big grin after seeing that video and reading through this thread.

He's going to be an avid shooter with exceptional skills.

Outstanding, man. Great times right there.

It is very, very fun to see our kids take to hobbies that we know will have lifelong allure for them.

Well done, sir.

·
Registered
487 Posts
nice job!

if you intend to shoot in public ranges i'd suggest setting up a small table in front to clear & make safe to put the firearm down when finished. Turning 180-degrees with the pistol (even with slide back, finger off trigger) will get you booted from any range I've been at.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.