SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
🎖USN Retired
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
516 patrol with Trijicon TA31, front BUIS site OEM sig, 30 round mag full 9.6 lbs.. Ouch.. Touch heavy.
My 300 BLK 8.5 inch SBR with 416R barrel, 28 rounds, and BUIS sights off a Sig 516 Patrol is 6.4 lbs.
3.2 lbs is allot.. You can definitely feel it.

·
Premium Member
22,522 Posts
Weight is one of the big strikes against piston guns. Worse is where the weight is, balance point is moved forward compared to DI guns unless you add weight in the stock area.
I agree. My 516 P is great on the bench but off hand it is heavy forward.
My favorate AR is the Colt SP1 carbine with the thin barrel and slab side upper.
It it light to pack and aims fast , it specs at 5 1/2 lbs without a mag.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My 516 is about 8.5 pounds with Vortex 3x Spitfire and Magpul AFG, but I don't mind because it is a breeze to clean compared to my M400. I love my M400 just a touch less than my 516 only because of cleaning! The weight is a bit more, but I'll take it for ease of cleaning!!!

·
🎖USN Retired
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Being as it is an expensive rifle, its best just to get used to it. Cost for lowering weight on it would not be cheap. The rail is about the only thing, besides the Trijicon, that weighs a bit.
Barrell? Maybe one of sigs 14.5 516 uppers.. But, that would be another SBR form..

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Being as it is an expensive rifle, its best just to get used to it. Cost for lowering weight on it would not be cheap. The rail is about the only thing, besides the Trijicon, that weighs a bit.
Barrell? Maybe one of sigs 14.5 516 uppers.. But, that would be another SBR form..
Carbon fiber handguard, maybe. A lighter buttstock. Other than that, it's just the piston system that adds extra weight. Well worth it to me, and still weighs less than an H&K or Sig 556.

·
🎖USN Retired
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Carbon fiber handguard is a few ounces lighter from what I read. The front site, a few ounces, and not sure on different buttstocks. I would rather leave the rear weight alone for balance.
Maybe a sling that supports the weight while standing..

·
Registered
38 Posts
rail isn't too heavy for what it is, but the barrel is a heavy profile which adds a significant amount of weight to the front end. I have also see a ton of different furniture on 516s so that can play a role too. They could have made the gas block lighter too, so again more weight. Ounces here & there adds lbs quickly.

·
🎖USN Retired
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rail isn't too heavy for what it is, but the barrel is a heavy profile which adds a significant amount of weight to the front end. I have also see a ton of different furniture on 516s so that can play a role too. They could have made the gas block lighter too, so again more weight. Ounces here & there adds lbs quickly.
Do they make aftermarket barrels that would work, or just go shorter, like a 14, 10.5 etc

·
Registered
33 Posts
Loaded? Not terrible. My 10.5 AR with an Olight m22, dbal D2, Holosun 503, 5x magnifier, weighs bout the same.

Once Steiner gets off their butts and releases the a4 I can replace the d2 and ditch my Olight. Then there will be some weight savings!!!

·
🎖USN Retired
8,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Loaded? Not terrible. My 10.5 AR with an Olight m22, dbal D2, Holosun 503, 5x magnifier, weighs bout the same.

Once Steiner gets off their butts and releases the a4 I can replace the d2 and ditch my Olight. Then there will be some weight savings!!!
Pics of the D2?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.