SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never fired a gun in total darkness. But I am being told that to do so, I would be temporarily blinded by the muzzle flash say from a pistol.

So my question is this: what about if the handgun is using a weapon light? Will that lessen the "blinding" factor in what is otherwise total darkness?

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're firing in total darkness, what are you shooting at?
If it's low light and you can discern your target (which you are absolutely sure that it is a threat to your life - or someone else's) then don't worry about temporary blindness since you can't see much anyway.
Learn to use a flash light and when not to. Learn the principles of low light tactics. And if you shoot, then move!

If you can go and shoot at a range in no light conditions, test different brands of ammunition. Some have more flash than others. A shorter barreled pistol will also produce more flash than a longer one too

·
Registered
42 Posts
One of the most basic guy rules is , know what you are shooting at. You should never shoot at anything in total darkness unless you have the proper equipment to see in such environment. That being said , in limited light , or low light , that is where a flashlight or a mounted light is used, the flash does not interfere as it is a lower flash than your light, and your shooting should be done when the light is on the target . Btw, I am not conjecturing , I am talking from experience.

·
Registered
17,781 Posts
I've fired the M14, M16 and M60 machine guns in darkness. Not totally dark like you can get in a closet with no windows, but darkness that you get outside in woodsy type areas with little to no moonlight. The muzzle flash is pretty bright and does tend to raise hobb with your night vision, as does the beam from a powerful flashlight.

You close one eye when you fire to preserve the night vision in that eye. The Army teaches this in various places, BCT, AIT and Jungle Warfare School to name a few. It works. You can do the same when using the flashlight and that works, too.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good stuff all -- thanks.

This all came about from a discussion about HD on another forum -- at night in a dark house. Using just night sights or using a laser/light like the Viridian X5L Gen 2. I'm a proponent of the latter.

I have had my HD handgun setup with the Viridian for 5 years, but I saw an ad for it today and posted it on another forum which started the back and forth. One of the regulars came back and said this

I believe home defense, as well as self defense, is going to occur at 10 feet or less. Point, shoot until empty, call police! mho
So, IOW, he was saying he doesn't need a laser/light. I then answered with this:

Probably -- but you can't be sure. For instance -- my bedroom door faces across our great room and then down a hallway that in total is 51 feet.

I also can guarantee you that in the middle of the night, this laser/light at a minimum cuts in half the time it takes to acquire the target.

Next, another person chimed in with

In the dark you will be blinded by your own muzzle flash after the first round.
I am not sure which of us he was referring to, but it seems to be the guy who doesn't want a laser/light. But anyway, it got me to thinking about the impact from muzzle flash in total darkness vs. a room lit up with a weapon light.

I should also interject that the science of night vision takes me back to my sub days. Before you ever went topside as a lookout at night, you had to spend at least 15 mins in the control room that was rigged for red. Otherwise, you'd have night blindness when scanning the horizon.

Reactions: Flash LB

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
^^^^^^

What 7.62Kolectr said. I use an Osprey on my P229R w/light for the nightstand. When I use my SBR - oops, I mean 10" AR15 pistol w/ arm brace, it gets a YHM suppressor as well. Without a can, the AR has a rather bodacious muzzle flash like a fireball from a short barrel. The suppressor reduces flash more than a flash hider.

·
Registered
17,781 Posts
And let's not forget that after you fire the first round indoors, the room is going to be filled with particulate matter which will make your laser beam stand out just like it does in the movie, "The Terminator".

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A suppressor solves more than just one problem. In the middle of the night, I fear what firing on an intruder would do to my ears, which are already not good. That's why I ordered one last August -- and if I am lucky, BATF might just release it to me sometime this summer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You would be suprised how much a good laser will light up the area you are shooting at in total dark. We do total dark shoots (with flashlights) at my range and I use a laser on my gun. Had the flashlight go out and was able to finish the shoot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts