SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious:
When/If you bring more than one caliber to the range, do you start small and go big, or start big and end low?

Why?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
There is never really any pattern to it. I usually take 4-6 handguns when I go to the range. However, if I take my Walther PPK it is usually the last thing I shoot.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Big?

First, I've always been attracted to things that go bank - - and I still have my original fingers. Hearing is trashed. As a cop, they sent me to evidence tech school and to the FBI bomb school - kinda like sending a pedophile to work at kindergarten (bad image - sorry!).

So I make this seriously good size, um, firecracker using a not insignificant amount of 4F black powder and um, other stuff to hold the powder is one spot. Put it on a bent over T-post at a shooting spot a couple of miles down the road, lit the fuse and ducks behind a concrete barrier thing so I have a reasonable chance of not getting seriously killed. Holy Bananas that thing was loud! Done bent the T-post too :c)

How big were you talkin'? Then I shot some 40.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
No particularly order other than I usually end with carry ammo in my EDC.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Well, now I shoot mainly one caliber, but when I have gone to the range with more than one caliber it varied. I never really had a specific agenda to shoot in a prescribed manner.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No real method. Generally shoot the same caliber together across different guns. No real thought as to what order of the calibers. Like someone else, if I am shooting my Walther PPK that is last because of the firearm itself and not the caliber. One thing I do though is shoot SD rounds last if I am shooting any on a given day. That way I am shooting the most expensive rounds after I have dialed in and adjusted grip, stance and sight picture and I am not throwing expensive rounds down range when I am sloppy because of rust between range trips.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Small to big for me as I find that I can get more use out of a target as it is easier to see hits on a 45 after a 9 vs the other way around. I (or my son) may even shoot 22 first and then 45.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Got my to go box...throw 5 pistols in there and go. Sometimes, I throw 1 gun in the range bag if its just to sneak some time in during a lunch break. Long gun shooting, I usually take 1..sometimes 2 and I like to spend some long, deep, intimate time with them.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
Sporting Clays I go big to small.

Handguns at the indoor range, it depends on what the guy in the lane next to me is shooting as we both reload. But I always bring at least 2 calibers.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
NO special order except I also shoot my old colt huntsman as a break in shooting bigger cartridges and for some simple fun shooting . I always finish the range day with my carry pistol .

·
Registered
670 Posts
No particular order, however, in opposition to what appears to be the common practice here I shoot my EDC first. I want to shoot it straight outta the box, cold, and "unprepared" so to speak. In the event I'll need to use it I'm not likely to have the opportunity to fine tune grip, stance, etc.

This doesn't mean I won't come back to it later in the session but just that first thing shot at any range session is EDC. Oh, and it's also generally the last thing shot as well.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I start with whatever I want and shot in whichever order I choose
That is just plain wrong, things must be kept in proper order, lined up neatly. YOU are upsetting the balance between yin and yang, I was wondering who was doing that, I could feel the tension when I open my gun safe. Stop it now or we'll come over there and break every bone in your scrawny a $ $ little body!

(I love it when I talk like that!)

·
Registered
23,615 Posts
I don't usually head out to shoot in any particular order when I take more than one.

Though when I don't feel well due to health issues or medications, I find I do better if I shoot the heavier calibers and heavier guns first and save the lighter stuff for when I'm tired later in the range visit. And if I start out with full-power 10mm, a 9mm P226 seems like a .22LR. :D

Reactions: wcoyne
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.