SIG Talk banner

MPX -shorter barrels- suppressors

4545 7
Ok so I have the 8" MPX barrel. Suppressed, it is very nice sounding. Will it just get louder as the barrel gets shorter? Like say if I went to a 6.5" barrel? What about a 4.5" barrel?

I would like to go as short as a 4.5" barrel and run my suppressor under the hand guard, but how much louder is that going to make the gun being suppressed?

Thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Usually the shorter the barrel the louder it gets. I never shot my 8" barrel suppressed as I did not have my form 4 approved at the time, but now that I have my suppressors and a 4.5" barrel, it is quiet enough for me shooting 147gr. Also shooting 115gr is is still quiet enough where I don't wear hearing protection and doesn't seem to bother my horses.

Decibel wise, no clue and also depending on suppressor and ammo using. I am using either a Omega9k which tucks underneath the hand guard "quiet" nicely and also have a Dead Air Ghost 45m which I run both in K configuration and long both are "vwery, vwery quiet" for hunting rabbits. :)

But honestly, I don't think you see much of a difference going from 8" to 4.5". I think you will still be very happy with the end results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think the suppressor volume won't be much different because of the short stroke piston system?

Like say if the mpx was a blow back system, I wonder if barrel length would play a role in the suppressor volume.

Instead of cutting my barrel, I might just buy either the 6.5 or the 4.5 from ilwt.

Another question.....
will a direct thread mount be anymore quiet than a 3 lug?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't think it would, if it does I wouldn't think it would be noticeable. Think of the gas valve on the MPX like a pop off valve. It has little washers stacked inside a certain way that allows the valve to open when to much pressure is reached, this helps in beating the internals to death and blowback in your face. that being said a lot of Gen 2 owners have opened up the gas port to make it bigger to help with FTE and stove piping. And I have seen videos of some opened up so much gas is actually coming out of the bottom of the magazine, can you imagine the beating the internals are taking.

Now Sig has come out with a plug instead of a valve, and I would be willing to bet the gas port is even smaller now.

I am running a 4.5" ILWT barrel and could not be happier, so you won't go wrong if you go that route. I also am using a 3 lug on both and have direct mount to and can not tell a difference in my Gen2.

I actually have a factory Sig 4.5" barrel assembly that I preordered last year that I forget to send back for refund. It has the plug instead of the valve on the gas block, if I don't sell it I may take it apart and see for myself if the port is smaller.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I am running a 4.5" ILWT barrel and could not be happier, so you won't go wrong if you go that route. I also am using a 3 lug on both and have direct mount to and can not tell a difference in my Gen2.
How do you like the ILWT barrel?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since I needed to get my barrel re-threaded to 1/2x28 before getting my suppressor on, i never shot it suppressed at 8" so I don't know the difference.
I'm currently running at 4.5 inches with a direct thread GA Revo 9 in short config.
That makes for a weapon about the same size as the original MPX 8".
Losing some suppression relative to long config, but plenty quiet to run without hearing protection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.