SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another question for all MPX k users. On my MPX, the back side of the bolt has unusual wear. It is cleaned and lubed after each session. I have seen pics of some other bolts with wear on a different part of the bolt. It almost looks like a piece chipped off. Anyone have an issue like this and is it normal for MPX? 500 rounds through it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I highly recommend you to call Sig and let them know about that. Email them the picture. I bet they’re going to replace that.

I have over 12k rounds on my 8” MPX I use in competition but no wear or chipping like that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine doesn't look as significant as yours, but it's on the same lug. This gun is less than six months old and has fewer than 1000 rounds through it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I would contact Sig and send photos. My guess is bolt carrier or the bolt is out of tolerance. Sig should replace both.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Something definitely wrong there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes, that is interesting. I wish that I could have 100 MPX owners all check their bolts and figure out how common this is.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I checked mine and had no wear of that nature.

Reactions: griff411

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The MPX manual on p.74 specifically recommends lubing the rear of the bolt lugs. First time out, I use grease then clean and switch to oil. The rear of bolt lugs with the highest round counts have lost the bluing, but are smooth.

Bill

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks, that's a good point. My lugs (and the rest of the gun) have been scrupulosity lubricated. I tend to run it fairly wet and clean/relube after every range session. I have a home range and I tend to have short but frequent sessions, so the round count between cleaning is fairly low.

It's interesting that the wear/damage shown in the photos above is so similar. The rep from SIG is admittedly not a gunsmith, but he says that he has not seen damage like that and suggested that I send it in. Mine is going out today.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My gun came back today from SIG. According to the service order, they inspected the pistol and replaced the bolt "due to light chipping on one of the lugs."

I'll monitor it more closely in the future to see if the problem continues.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A quick update here. I've had further communication with SIG regarding this issue, seeing as how it appears to be somewhat common based upon the very small sample of people who posted here. The gunsmith who replaced my bolt said that the MPX bolt has several common wear points from usage, one being the wear on the locking lug as we've been discussing, He mentioned this wear point doesn’t look “pretty”, however the firearm will continue to function/operate as it should. It appears that they replaced my bolt as a courtesy, but that this isn't a serious issue.

Just FYI; take it for what it's worth, but, while I plan to keep an eye on my bolt, I still have confidence in the gun and I'll keep shooting it and enjoying it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sent email to customer support this morning. Said I had photos. I could not attach photos to sig customer support form. Some close ups are attached for documentation and to share. There is also a heavy mark where the bolt locks. What is best way to get in touch with SIG to send photos?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A quick update here. I've had further communication with SIG regarding this issue, seeing as how it appears to be somewhat common based upon the very small sample of people who posted here. The gunsmith who replaced my bolt said that the MPX bolt has several common wear points from usage, one being the wear on the locking lug as we've been discussing, He mentioned this wear point doesn’t look “pretty”, however the firearm will continue to function/operate as it should. It appears that they replaced my bolt as a courtesy, but that this isn't a serious issue.

Just FYI; take it for what it's worth, but, while I plan to keep an eye on my bolt, I still have confidence in the gun and I'll keep shooting it and enjoying it.
I would contact Sig and send photos. My guess is bolt carrier or the bolt is out of tolerance. Sig should replace both.
Sig gave me the following statement today “
In checking with our lead rifles gunsmith, this wear is very much in line with what we expect on the MPX platform. It should wear to an extent, like you see hear, and then only polish up, and smooth over, and this will not put you at risk of rust, failures, or anything of the sort.

Hope this helps!“
I’m not happy with this answer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sig gave me the following statement today “
In checking with our lead rifles gunsmith, this wear is very much in line with what we expect on the MPX platform. It should wear to an extent, like you see hear, and then only polish up, and smooth over, and this will not put you at risk of rust, failures, or anything of the sort.

Hope this helps!“
I’m not happy with this answer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts