SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

MPX accuracy with a suppressor

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Vanquish 
#1 ·
So I've seen a number of posts here and there talking about the accuracy going down the drain when installing a suppressor on the MPX. well I picked up an MPX K last year, mainly because I wanted something really small and the HK SP5 K was ridiculously over priced at the time. I also wanted to get a suppressor for it. It wasn't till after I bought it and started looking for a can that I started reading about the potential accuracy issues and that it could be pretty gassy. Not only that, but I was struggling to get decent groups with my regular ammo in its factory configuration even without adding a suppressor. On average I was getting 4-5" patterns at 10-15 yards. At 20 yards it was 7-9". I did find some ammo that worked a bit better, but I couldn't do much better than 2-3" at 10 yards and that was with a red dot. By comparison, my full size HK SP5 was shooting groups much smaller at twice the distance with irons and a much heavier trigger.

I was a bit disappointed, and came to the conclusion that I would probably just have to spend another $500 and buy a ILWT barrel if I wanted this to work. About that time though, my Wolfman was released from jail and I've just been having a blast with it on the SP5, and the MPX K has been sitting in the safe for the past 6 months.

This morning though, I was messing around with some stuff getting ready to go to the range and I realized that I had a LH piston and fixed barrel spacer for an Obsidian that would fit the MPX barrel. I went out to the shop and took off the factory flash hider, which didn't appear to have any rocksett on it and was only torqued to about 15-20 lbs. I put the Obsidian in its K configuration on there and headed out to the range. I set the target out at a bit past 15 yards and proceeded to shoot a ragged one hole group with it. What the heck? I tried several types of ammo with it and all had the same results. 10 yards was 1" offhand, unsupported.

So I'm a bit confused I guess. I'm still very new to the suppressor world, and most of mine are still in jail. I have heard of a suppressor potentially slightly increasing the accuracy in something like a rifle, but taking a PCC that shoots patterns like a shotgun, to actually grouping like it's supposed to is a new one for me.

Has anyone else experienced this? One thing I forgot to try when I was there today was to shoot it with no can or F/H. I'll have to try that next time. Is it possible that the F/H was the culprit the whole time?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum.
I have been shooting my 8" MPX with a GM-9 for several years and usually get groups like this at 10yds. I shoot off-hand with an optic or from the hip with a laser. (I'm on my 4th optic on this gun, looking for what works best!) Maybe next week, I'll try from a bench rest with the Strikefire II and see what I get for groups.

The MPX does not need a piston/LID, just a straight adapter. I have a whole collection of these for the GM-9 and the newer model Lunar-9. I suspect that a mount attaching to the flash hider would adversely affect accuracy.
Art Rectangle Font Creative arts Circle
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun
Wood Audio equipment Gas Button Electronic component
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

#3 ·
So I've seen a number of posts here and there talking about the accuracy going down the drain when installing a suppressor on the MPX. well I picked up an MPX K last year, mainly because I wanted something really small and the HK SP5 K was ridiculously over priced at the time. I also wanted to get a suppressor for it. It wasn't till after I bought it and started looking for a can that I started reading about the potential accuracy issues and that it could be pretty gassy. Not only that, but I was struggling to get decent groups with my regular ammo in its factory configuration even without adding a suppressor. On average I was getting 4-5" patterns at 10-15 yards. At 20 yards it was 7-9". I did find some ammo that worked a bit better, but I couldn't do much better than 2-3" at 10 yards and that was with a red dot. By comparison, my full size HK SP5 was shooting groups much smaller at twice the distance with irons and a much heavier trigger.

I was a bit disappointed, and came to the conclusion that I would probably just have to spend another $500 and buy a ILWT barrel if I wanted this to work. About that time though, my Wolfman was released from jail and I've just been having a blast with it on the SP5, and the MPX K has been sitting in the safe for the past 6 months.

This morning though, I was messing around with some stuff getting ready to go to the range and I realized that I had a LH piston and fixed barrel spacer for an Obsidian that would fit the MPX barrel. I went out to the shop and took off the factory flash hider, which didn't appear to have any rocksett on it and was only torqued to about 15-20 lbs. I put the Obsidian in its K configuration on there and headed out to the range. I set the target out at a bit past 15 yards and proceeded to shoot a ragged one hole group with it. What the heck? I tried several types of ammo with it and all had the same results. 10 yards was 1" offhand, unsupported.

So I'm a bit confused I guess. I'm still very new to the suppressor world, and most of mine are still in jail. I have heard of a suppressor potentially slightly increasing the accuracy in something like a rifle, but taking a PCC that shoots patterns like a shotgun, to actually grouping like it's supposed to is a new one for me.

Has anyone else experienced this? One thing I forgot to try when I was there today was to shoot it with no can or F/H. I'll have to try that next time. Is it possible that the F/H was the culprit the whole time?
Yep. Sounds like the FH was the culprit. Try tightening it down to where it should be and give it another go. If that don’t work try shooting without it. Congrats on getting the accuracy you should have been getting this whole time. It’s a tack driver when it’s working like it should isn’t it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.