SIG Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm caught having to relocate my household. I have a few firearms to transport in my auto as well as some hard to get ammo - not all ammo is for a caliber that I'm transporting. It will take me about four days point to point (no side trips). Motels will be involved and I'd like to of course have one gun with me in the hotel, but I will not be carrying/concealing one in the passenger compartment of my auto. I do have a SUV style auto so there is only one separate lockable compartment. I'm not concealed carry in any state but AZ. My home state is unfortunately IL.

What are the general guidelines for doing this responsibly?

Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whew! I made it! No incidents so don’t know if what I ended up doing was the correct thing. I do have an AZ CCW permit, classes and all. Had I needed some backup that may have been some help in MO, OK, TX, NM and AZ. My FOID in IL. Not much clout but maybe goes to intensions.

Each gun (6 pistols) was broken down, locked in an individual case and under the locked deck of my SUV. I ran a cable lock through the locking loops of the cases and through an anchor under the deck.

Magazines were in a separate box, separate from the pistols. The sole revolver was trigger locked and packed as above.

Ammo was in two 50cal boxes from harbor freight. Boxes were locked and cable locked to the front seat mounts.

No firearms left the car and we followed our normal travel routine.

Thank you all for your diligence in answering. I hope I don’t have to do this again anytime soon.

Roger

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
All is well that ends well. Amen. Every now and again we’ll hear from somebody that did everything right and there’s a fender bender or medical issue and, boom, the cops are browsing through your car. That’s the kind of thing that I “worry” about when traveling.
Absolutely, and those thoughts zip through my head every time two semi‘s were doing battle on the road ahead of me or next to me. It was kind of a white knuckle trip, hyper vigilant, and now super exhausted :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts