SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm caught having to relocate my household. I have a few firearms to transport in my auto as well as some hard to get ammo - not all ammo is for a caliber that I'm transporting. It will take me about four days point to point (no side trips). Motels will be involved and I'd like to of course have one gun with me in the hotel, but I will not be carrying/concealing one in the passenger compartment of my auto. I do have a SUV style auto so there is only one separate lockable compartment. I'm not concealed carry in any state but AZ. My home state is unfortunately IL.

What are the general guidelines for doing this responsibly?

Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would store the guns, unloaded and locked in the back. Also, place the ammo far enough away from the guns (up front), so you can not grab a gun and ammo simultaneously. You may also want to check firearm transportation laws/rules for each state that you will be traveling through.

Another option, ship the guns to your new home and carry one with you for the trip.

Safe travels and good luck in your new home.

·
Administrator
40,855 Posts
Suggestions welcome.
You might want to read this - it was discussed in depth

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
This is from 2015 but it may provide some guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ship all but your carry. Lock it in the trunk until you get to the motel and be careful. Without a CC for the state that you are in, you can be in trouble and loose your weapon. Not easy to do in these times. One traffic stop or nosy motel guest or employee and you are screwed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I moved I had each handgun with a chamber flag, unloaded, in a locked case. Long guns with chamber flags, unloaded in soft cases. Ammo was in several plastic ammo cases, each one with a separate lock. All in an SUV. Maybe overkill but it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I moved from PA to here in NV and then years ago. All my guns were inside the cab of my truck. I kept my Ruger SP101 available for nights in hotels and in states I could legally have it loaded.
All my ammo was in the bed of my truck, locked in a Stack-On cabinet with all the rest of my **** on top of it, tarped and netted to hold it all in place. I had to raise the tool box up with 4x4's so that the safe would fit up against the cab of the truck. We spent time traveling to see friends and family along the way. Took about two weeks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
May also be overkill. But if me and I had a bunch. I'd also break them down on the most minimal level. Like take a slide of a semi auto pistol.. or bolt out of any rifle etc. That way if pulled over no one needs to put hands on anything to inspect if they're cleared and legal. At most they'd have to run the numbers for being stolen perhaps. It will make everything self explanatory. Last thing ya want is to be accused in some anti gun state and made into a political nightmare. Only takes a sec to re assemble them if ya know guns. But this way if pulled over all ya would have to do is let police take a quick glance at things. And they'd know right away no laws about transport of loaded guns are at play. I've heard some states have crazy laws like having ammo and guns in different locked areas of cars. Doing this may make that easier if you have alot. Like put all serialized grips into one area now that they're smaller. And ammo into another. Then the rest I would assume could be stored anywhere I would guess so long as it's not a registered part of a firearm. Like the uppers of ARs etc. Just a thought

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You can take them to an LBS and have them ship them directly to your home once you arrive. Legal, trackable, insurable. That's what I've done. Stash the ammo.

Or pull a trailer. The right parking in spot in the right hotel lot can be safe.

I've done both.

But wait...you're moving from AZ to IL? Ouchie.

Reactions: P226S and Devereaux

·
Registered
355 Posts
Technically FOPA gives you the right for interstate movement. If the guns are legal at the starting point and the ending point, but you’re traveling through restricted states, you’re legal.

I moved from Illinois to South Carolina a few years ago and I simply loaded all the guns in their original boxes, put them in my truck, and hit the road. In my case, I drove on through and did the trip in a day. I wasn’t keen on parking in a hotel overnight and leaving the guns in the car. I drove super cautiously as I didn’t want to be involved in an accident or a traffic stop. I also got some 4x4x4 boxes and put all the pistol boxes in the 4x4x4 boxes, and covered the rifles with a blanket as I didn’t want it to be obvious what was in the car in case I had to be away from it - gas, lunch, taking a leak, etc. I don’t think there are any really bad states along your route (like NJ), maybe Colorado, but if there are, try to not stop in those states.

·
🎖USA Retired
48 Posts
Technically FOPA gives you the right for interstate movement. If the guns are legal at the starting point and the ending point, but you’re traveling through restricted states, you’re legal.

I moved from Illinois to South Carolina a few years ago and I simply loaded all the guns in their original boxes, put them in my truck, and hit the road. In my case, I drove on through and did the trip in a day. I wasn’t keen on parking in a hotel overnight and leaving the guns in the car. I drove super cautiously as I didn’t want to be involved in an accident or a traffic stop. I also got some 4x4x4 boxes and put all the pistol boxes in the 4x4x4 boxes, and covered the rifles with a blanket as I didn’t want it to be obvious what was in the car in case I had to be away from it - gas, lunch, taking a leak, etc. I don’t think there are any really bad states along your route (like NJ), maybe Colorado, but if there are, try to not stop in those states.
Saw a video on this just a few days ago. While that law is federal, how it is enforced is applied differently. For instance, I’ve read in NY that they’ll charge you anyway and you’ll have to get a lawyer to prove that the law applies to you.

eta: think this is the video…

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
As mentioned, you transport under Federal rules. Guns locked separately from locked ammunition. They must be lawfully possessed were you start your trip, and where you terminate your trip.

If you were to access a firearm and/or ammunition during the trip, that access would have to take place under the laws of the state and municipal geography you access the firearm and/or ammunition in.

You do not disclose, unlock or access the firearms or ammunition for any reason where they are not lawful even if asked by law enforcement. If they have a search warrant, they do the access.

Reactions: P226S

·
Registered
29 Posts
Make sure you're not driving through any communists states that have an "assault weapons" ban, and also be aware of magazine capacity laws too. Just by having either on a routine traffic stop could be big trouble.

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
9,014 Posts
I have thought this over many time when I am reviewing what I have to take if we have to evacuate during a hurricane. In my case I not only have guns and ammo, but also one of a kind original paperwork, household valuables, silver and gold, and cash. I have decided that I would sleep in the vehicle and not leave it unattended for over a couple of minutes. You got to do what you got to do. Not only are weapon a problem in some places, over a certain amount of cash can be confiscated anywhere in the U.S. Good Luck

Reactions: P226S

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whew! I made it! No incidents so don’t know if what I ended up doing was the correct thing. I do have an AZ CCW permit, classes and all. Had I needed some backup that may have been some help in MO, OK, TX, NM and AZ. My FOID in IL. Not much clout but maybe goes to intensions.

Each gun (6 pistols) was broken down, locked in an individual case and under the locked deck of my SUV. I ran a cable lock through the locking loops of the cases and through an anchor under the deck.

Magazines were in a separate box, separate from the pistols. The sole revolver was trigger locked and packed as above.

Ammo was in two 50cal boxes from harbor freight. Boxes were locked and cable locked to the front seat mounts.

No firearms left the car and we followed our normal travel routine.

Thank you all for your diligence in answering. I hope I don’t have to do this again anytime soon.

Roger

·
Registered
355 Posts
All is well that ends well. Amen. Every now and again we’ll hear from somebody that did everything right and there’s a fender bender or medical issue and, boom, the cops are browsing through your car. That’s the kind of thing that I “worry” about when traveling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts