SIG Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi from HomeDefender1.

I purchased a P365 XL with manual safety. In my first attempt to mount a Romeo Zero (RZ) Red Dot optic to it I ran into trouble and wanted to share with you how I solved the problem.

Initially, I tried, to no avail, to use the 5/64 hex wrench that came with the Romeo Zero to remove the rear sight screws. I had also read on the net that others were having trouble with removing the screws. Using the small hex wrench alone does not provide sufficient torque to remove the screws. Some people have stripped the screws in frustration.

What worked? I draped my bench vice with a soft cloth and placed the slide upside down in the vice and gently tightened for a firm hold. Then, I mounted a 5/64 hex head bit on a Wheeler FAT gun wrench, seated the bit firmly in the hex head, pressed down and turned slowly counterclockwise. This worked to loosen the screws. I then proceeded to unscrew them and used a fine technical tweezer to lift the screws out.

I then turned the slide over in the vice, removed the rear sights and plate, and cleaned the surface. Next, I mounted the 3M adhesive strip to the slide, and smoothed it out. Then, I placed the battery as instructed into the RZ base, and slid it onto the slide. Next, I turned on the RZ and made sure that the red dot was working.

Then, I used the Wheeler FAT wrench and 5/64 hex bit with the M3 screws provided to attach the RZ. I started one screw, then the second. Then, in turn, I slowly tightened the screws. I set the Wheeler wrench to the specified torque range. Manual says 9 lbs, but Wheeler starts at 10 lbs so that's what I used.

All finished with the mounting.

Then, as final step, I used a Sightmark red 9MM bore laser and fixed it on a known point. I then used the smaller hex wrench provided with the RZ to fine tune the elevation and windage so that both the bore sight dot and the RZ dot became one.

Now, its back to the range for a test! Hope this helps.

Have a great day!

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Hi fromHomeDefender1.

I purchased a P365 XL with manual safety. In my first attempt to mount a Romeo Zero (RZ) Red Dot optic to it I ran into trouble and wanted to share with you how I solved the problem.

Initially, I tried, to no avail, to use the 5/64 hex wrench that came with the Romeo Zero to remove the rear sight screws. I had also read on the net that others were having trouble with removing the screws. Using the small hex wrench alone does not provide sufficient torque to remove the screws. Some people have stripped the screws in frustration.

What worked? I draped my bench vice with a soft cloth and placed the slide upside down in the vice and gently tightened for a firm hold. Then, I mounted a 5/64 hex head bit on a Wheeler FAT gun wrench, seated the bit firmly in the hex head, pressed down and turned slowly counterclockwise. This worked to loosen the screws. I then proceeded to unscrew them and used a fine technical tweezer to lift the screws out.

I then turned the slide over in the vice, removed the rear sights and plate, and cleaned the surface. Next, I mounted the 3M adhesive strip to the slide, and smoothed it out. Then, I placed the battery as instructed into the RZ base, and slide it onto the slide. Next, I turned on the RZ and made sure that the red dot was working.

Then, I used the Wheeler FAT wrench and 5/64 hex bit with the M3 screws provided to attach the RZ. I started one screw, then the second. Then, in turn, I slowly tightened the screws. I set the Wheeler wrench to the specified torque range. Manual says 9 lbs, but Wheeler starts at 10 lbs so that's what I used.

All finished with the mounting.

Then, as final step, I used a Sightmark red 9MM bore laser and fixed it on a known point. I then used the smaller hex wrench provided with the RZ to fine tune the elevation and windage so that both the bore sight dot and the RZ dot became one.

Now, its back to the range for a test! Hope this helps.

Have a great day!
Glad you got it all sorted out. I highly recommend you use a metric Allen wrench for the M3 screws next time. 5/64 will fit but you’ll risk stripping it because there’s a tiny play when the wrench is inserted. A 2mm alien wrench is the correct wrench to use for M3 screws.

This is based on my experience dealing with tiny metric screws with my RC truggies and buggies when I raced them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Where are the instructions to install the tape? I looked through the manual twice and didn't see any reference to the tape. I got my Romeo Zero just after release and didn't see any reference to the tape so I installed mine without it. It worked as intended for about 4 months and then the battery died. With the new battery I had to put a small piece of paper between the slide and battery to get reliable operation.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Glad you got it all sorted out. I highly recommend you use a metric Allen wrench for the M3 screws next time. 5/64 will fit but you’ll risk stripping it because there’s a tiny play when the wrench is inserted. A 2mm alien wrench is the correct wrench to use for M3 screws.

This is based on my experience dealing with tiny metric screws with my RC truggies and buggies when I raced them.
+1 ^^^^^
Yes, SIG says they're 2mm just a tiny fraction bigger than 5/64.
SIG also used RED LocTite on early production XL's like my Jan. 2, 2020. Hopefully, they stopped doing that. :eek:
Applying some heat with a soldering tip or hair dryer will help soften the LocTite to avoid stripping the hex head.(I found out the hard way) :rolleyes:

All's well that ends well!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've mounted my zero on my XL frame but never saw any information concerning adhesive tape. Is this something you did yourself? It's not in the instructions.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I think installing the “tape” (It’s actually a plastic strip) is common sense. The strip has cutouts for the mounting screws. I didn’t need to have a manual tell me how to install it. I figured they included it for a reason.

But that’s just me. Maybe I’m wrong. But mine works fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Allan wrench that comes with the Romeo Zero is a 2mm and is to be used TO INSTALL the Romeo Zero . The Romeo Manual says to see the P365 gun manual for removal of the screws.

The manual for the P365 gun says to use a 5/64 to REMOVE THE SCREWS in the slide.

Just did that for my install with no issues.

Mrnstar

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are the instructions to install the tape? I looked through the manual twice and didn't see any reference to the tape. I got my Romeo Zero just after release and didn't see any reference to the tape so I installed mine without it. It worked as intended for about 4 months and then the battery died. With the new battery I had to put a small piece of paper between the slide and battery to get reliable operation.
---------------------------------------

You are correct. There is no instruction about the tape. I discussed this with Sig CS and they instructed me to place it on the slide, not on the bottom of the RZ. I suggested to them that they add this instruction to the manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

-----------------------------

Thanks George for your tip to use a 2mm hex bit. Key for all users: use good tools to get a firm fit and torque on the screws. Using only the hex wrench supplied with the RZ will likely lead to frustration and to stripping the screws.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 ^^^^^
Yes, SIG says they're 2mm just a tiny fraction bigger than 5/64.
SIG also used RED LocTite on early production XL's like my Jan. 2, 2020. Hopefully, they stopped doing that. :eek:
Applying some heat with a soldering tip or hair dryer will help soften the LocTite to avoid stripping the hex head.(I found out the hard way) :rolleyes:

All's well that ends well!
-------------------------------------

Hi. My 365 XL was produced Aug 20, 2020 and there was no red loctite on mine. I'm glad they stopped doing that as I had read similar point about earlier production models. Sig CS also confirmed to me there was no loctite before I removed them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've mounted my zero on my XL frame but never saw any information concerning adhesive tape. Is this something you did yourself? It's not in the instructions.
Hi Airborne: You're correct. There are no instructions about the tape. I read about how to apply from other posts on the net, and Sig CS confirmed correct placement -- on the slide, not on the RZ. Have a great day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts