SIG Talk banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228, MPX K 4.5”
1,064 Posts
Forget about a suppressor! They are expensive, you are adding OAL weight and length to your pistol and there is a $200 tax stamp. Here is what I suggest plain and simple..... EARPLUGS. I keep $2 ear plugs in a small case with my home self defense pistol. If the **** I'll put them on. :)(y)
And if you’re wearing ear plugs, how will you know where the invader is before you see him (and he sees you)?? 🤔

If my life is truly at risk, I’m not giving up a tactical advantage because I’m worried about noise. I’ll have a much better chance of dealing with noise-induced hearing loss if I’m not dead because I didn’t hear the bad guy approaching.

·
Registered
688 Posts
And if you’re wearing ear plugs, how will you know where the invader is before you see him (and he sees you)?? 🤔

If my life is truly at risk, I’m not giving up a tactical advantage because I’m worried about noise. I’ll have a much better chance of dealing with noise-induced hearing loss if I’m not dead because I didn’t hear the bad guy approaching.
I'm not wearing ear plugs. I'm wearing noise enhancing electronic headphones.( Walker Razors) I will hear your every movement in my house. The same kind I wear at the range. It only takes a few seconds to put them on and turn them on.

A 12 guage trip alarm works great too! Uses blank shells. Makes a big noise, disorientates intruder and wakes you up at the same time.

·
Registered
515 Posts

Do you shoot at things you hear or see!? I sure hope its the latter! BTW, the headphone\earplug idea was not something I thought of... it came from an article written by Massad Ayoob some years ago. If you don't know who he is, maybe you should review his credentials.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Do you shoot at things you hear or see!? I sure hope its the latter! BTW, the headphone\earplug idea was not something I thought of... it came from an article written by Massad Ayoob some years ago. If you don't know who he is, maybe you should review his credentials.
I know who Mas is. (And by the way, here he recommends active hearing protection: not ear plugs. The Massad Ayoob Chronicles, Part V - The Truth About Guns ) You don’t shoot at sound - but it provides a cue for visual perception.

You go ahead and do you — I’m going to use every advantage I have during a potential encounter so that I come out on the living end. Ear plugs don’t contribute to that outcome for me.

Reactions: paularmola

·
🎖USA Veteran
4,801 Posts
Ayoob is a poser. The shooting family has moved beyond Ayoob

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Reactions: Thebankerman

·
Premium Member
12,964 Posts
When it comes to most pistols calibers short of magnums, hearing/blast will most likely be the least of concerns amongst the hell of actually having to use them. Probably not enough concussion to be a detriment unit we get into shotguns and short-barreled rifles. So the last thing I'd want to do it throw in an extra thing to do like put on hearing protection if I have to take up arms against an intruder or attacker in my own house.

But with that said, I still think a PCC/PDW with a barrel of 10+ inches would be the best combination that would minimize blast/concussion but still give you substantial firepower against a human attacker. But as has been pointed out several times, unless you are particularly vulnerable to loud noises, the stress of the moment will probably overtake whatever effects the loudness of gunshots would have on you. Only think with PCC's is to make sure that whatever model you go with is reliable with defensive ammo.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you have to shoot an intruder, the volume of a 9mm is way down low on the list of stuff to be concerned about. I would not count on a 22 to defend my life. If it really has to be both quiet and effective then I think you have to go with the Van Helsing gatling crossbow.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I currently have a g26 9mm with light/laser and extended mag with subsonic 150gr rounds as my primary home defense weapon. In my opinion, it is perfect with one exception - too loud to shoot indoors?

Thankfully, I have never had to shoot it in my home. But it got me thinking, is there a better alternative that is reliable, effective and indoor ear friendly?

I am not opposed to .22lr but am concerned about reliabili

Thoughts?
As a physician wearing my VA hearing aids while typing this, I want to compliment you for your concern. Gunfire is a major cause of hearing loss, with a characteristic pattern on audiogram. Hearing loss is associated with dementia and other serious problems, so the dismissive responders haven't thought it through.

There is a myth that in a gunfight your ear has protective mechanisms which preserve your hearing. It is a myth.

I try to keep reactive hearing guards in a couple likely locations. Yes, I do put them on to investigate the bumps in the night, and the amplification is clearly a tactical advantage.

A suppressor is effective if you can afford it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know that plenty of people say this but I can't imagine that anybody will continue to break in or come after me after hearing a gun fired or receiving a few shots of 22. Have you ever been hit with a 22?
I said something about the ineffectiveness of a .22 round. My buddy always had one during the summer. I said that it would just **** someone off who had a leather jacket on. He said let me **** them off with 10 to 20 rounds!! Message received.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My primary home defense gun depends on where I'm at. In my upstairs bedroom I have a handgun safe under my nightstand with a P226 in 357 Sig and a P365. My gun safe is 8 feet away where an AR-15 is in front. In my first floor office desk, I have a handgun safe with a Sig P224 in 357 Sig and a Ruger LC9. The thought of firing any of them indoors without hearing protection scares me. I just bought a suppressor for the AR15, but it will be months before I'll take possession.

·
Premium Member
12,964 Posts
I said something about the ineffectiveness of a .22 round. My buddy always had one during the summer. I said that it would just ** someone off who had a leather jacket on. He said let me ** them off with 10 to 20 rounds!! Message received.
I've said before that if you're going to defend yourself with a .22, I would hope that it's one which has a pretty high capacity magazine so you can dump a whole lot of rounds into your attacker's upper torso and face. Imagine stabbing someone 20 times with an icepick...it'll be a really bad day for them.

But the thing about .22's is that they can be finicky and hang up, so that would probably concern me more than stopping someone, frankly.

Reactions: TripleD

·
Registered
11 Posts
I currently have a g26 9mm with light/laser and extended mag with subsonic 150gr rounds as my primary home defense weapon. In my opinion, it is perfect with one exception - too loud to shoot indoors?

Thankfully, I have never had to shoot it in my home. But it got me thinking, is there a better alternative that is reliable, effective and indoor ear friendly?

I am not opposed to .22lr but am concerned about reliability.

Thoughts?
I am concerned about noise also so I have a Sig MPX (9mm) with a suppressor on it. It’s too big to carry, but a good close quarters SBR.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No one wants to lose their hearing, but rather deaf than dead. I keep my amplified hearing protection next to my bedside gun just in case, but if I have to go without, again, better deaf than dead. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
A big ol mean dog is pretty effective and easy on the ears long as he dont get em by the ears I suppose.
On a serious note... when the front door comes crashing in no one is going to be fumbling for no ear protection.
Adrenaline & fear will rule the moment. The idea of a fellow stalking around his house like John Wick weapon at the ready all calm ear protection on stalking intruders etc. is nothing more than a brain movie.
When it goes down you will have time for 1 choice and a normal fellow wont even remember he has ears at that moment in time.
The guy playing offense always has the advantage. Only in brain movies does a guy get woke up from a dead sleep and all of the sudden have the tactical advantage.
The amount of home invasions where people are wounded and/or killed FAR out pace the successful defense of a home and its peeps to the point its staggering.
I like to assume I will be the rule and not the exception. Ask any LEO here, when thugs kick your door in the middle of the night they head straight for the master bedroom and its occupants. Unless you live in a mansion you prolly got about 10 seconds before they are on you. You wont have to be looking for them they will be looking for you!

Try it... See how long it takes you to get from your front door to your bedroom even figuring you dont know the layout of the house. Normal houses arent rocket science in layout and you have no idea how much homework the bad guys did, cased your house. your family etc. or how good they are at the task, another advantage of being the offensive player.

Then get in your bed under the covers and set your stopwatch/phone to how long it took you to get from the door to your bedroom and see how far you get in the response process and remember when its really hammer time you will be asleep. Prolly gonna have to eliminate ear protection from your timeline lol
In my brain movie I picture myself fumbling around, poopin in my underoos, everything that can go wrong going wrong. Its the most likely reality outside of TV and brain movies.
My 2 cents anyways, Dont get me wrong... Im always the hero in my brain movie too but I know its just a movie lol

61 - 80 of 82 Posts