SIG Talk banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

Premium Member
You've also got to hope that the intruders aren't armed themselves with non-suppressed firearms and don't fire back. Because by then, all bets are off when it comes to sound...much less all the lead coming your way.

• Wow
Reactions: TerminalSigness

Registered
I know folks that use a good old .410 shotgun (with buckshot) for home defense. Low recoil, hard to miss, and arguably not that loud. It's no 12ga but would get the job done. Thought about it myself.

Premium Member
Not sure I would worry about noise except for maybe when the zombie apocalypse comes and we have to defend our homes on a regular basis :)

We have an alarm and plenty of signs and stickers outside to let the casual observer know that. We have a dog with much better ears than I.
Our home is also setup so that any intruder would have to make it through an outside door and then another solid and reinforced interior door before they get to the bedrooms.
More than enough time for me to get to at least one of several quick access safes around the house :whistle:

Every P320 I have owned has been utterly reliable! My preference in the line these days is the X-Carry, feels well balanced in my hand. (y)

These are my primary unwelcome guest greeters 馃檵鈥嶁檪锔
Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: Carmel Sig

Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228, MPX K 4.5鈥
I鈥檓 not worried about the noise. In fact, it鈥檚 a good thing for alerting my neighbors (although they鈥檙e 1/4 mile away). I鈥檝e shot without hearing protection before (not as a matter of routine) so the sound won鈥檛 shock me. If I have to fire my weapon for home defense, I鈥檒l deal with the consequences to my hearing later (and be grateful for the chance!)

My Walther PPQ has a tactical barrel (and someday I鈥檒l get my Sig MOD-X 45 out of 鈥渏ail鈥), but I don鈥檛 plan to install it for HD.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Registered
So you just want to make the intruder mad? Ditch the 22 idea.
I once had a man knock on the door and ask if the doctor was in. He had a bloody bandana around his head. I later found out his "girl friend" has shot him in the head with a 22 pistol. This dude was little worse for wear as the bullet had failed to penetrate the cranium and just traveled around his head under his scalp.

Bill

Registered
First I agree with an effective caliber. I have witnessed an indoor 9mm discharge and while startling, it wasn't terrible. I can't imagine reaching for earmuffs if someone was breaking into my home.
...SNIP...
Third a 22 AR pistol holds a lot of rounds, is reliable and can look intimidating.
View attachment 432510
I second this, if you are worried about your ears. I have one, S&W M&P 15-22, with 30 rd mag and Outback II silencer. Ultra reliable, super quiet, and plenty of rounds to to get it done.

However, Sweetie doesn't like it. She won't use it. The next choice is the Mossberg HS 410. My load of choice for that is some S&B self defense rounds. She does like her shotty, and runs it well. I did get an adapter to mount a light on it.

Reactions: hauki

Registered
It's been almost 12 months now awaiting my tax stamp. :willynilly:
But my Griffin Arms suppressor will go onto my FN FNX-45 Tactical 15+1 of 45ACP. Great HD pistol IMHO.
What I like is that full-power 45ACP loads are still sub-sonic.

Registered
Have you ever thought about a silencer for the ears as an additional alternative ?

Hear an unfamiliar noise in the house late at night?

Slip on a pair of electronic ear muffs and turn up the sound. (BIG hearing advantage)

Even a .22 lr will impede your hearing if fired in a house without protection.

If you have to fire a round at least you'll still be able to hear and it's cheaper than a can.

Registered
Forget about a suppressor! They are expensive, you are adding OAL weight and length to your pistol and there is a $200 tax stamp. Here is what I suggest plain and simple..... EARPLUGS. I keep $2 ear plugs in a small case with my home self defense pistol. If the **** I'll put them on. :)(y)

Registered
I wouldn't worry about noise. You probably would not hear it anyways, with the adrenaline flowing. Police Officers don't wear hearing protection while patrolling the streets and responding to runs indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Forget about a suppressor! They are expensive, you are adding OAL weight and length to your pistol and there is a $200 tax stamp. Here is what I suggest plain and simple..... EARPLUGS. I keep $2 ear plugs in a small case with my home self defense pistol. If the **** I'll put them on. :)(y)
I agree about the suppressor, but if somebody鈥檚 kicking in my front door, I鈥檓 not going to be fumbling around to find and install earplugs

Registered
I walked up to customer鈥檚 porch a few years back. I stepped on the porch ramp and Dueling Banjos tune started playing. I turned to walk back to my van and waited for the customer to come out.

Registered
I came across an older M19 Combat Mag. Nickel Plated in mint condition. Had to have it, where as I had a blue steel 4" yrs ago but unfortunately it DEPARTED. GLAD to Find an Old Classic & have some HOGUE'S ordered for it. Most Reliable NITE Stand Piece.
DEPARTED. GLAD. HOUGE'S. NITE.

Nope, don't get the coded message. I need the ring.

Anyway, it makes no difference what firearm you get, discharging it in an enclosed space will not be ear friendly. Those who do wear muffs to dampen it, with commz built in to talk to each other, and screw on a silencer to keep from marking each other when stacked with muzzle blast. The other guys may not have all that so the issue is keeping them from destroying your hearing is your first goal.

When this came up a few years ago there were dozens who mocked the idea you should put on some ear pro while trying to get your scuffies on and then grabbing for the nightstand gun. A year later the conversation was about loadout vests and suppressors for home defense.

For many, it's an opportunity to brag on the internet while apparently ignoring how vulnerable the actual home is.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts