SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
This type of question, about any subject, indicates that someone isn’t all in, on their choice of action. If, you’ve made the choice to be proactive in the immediate defense of your home and family, and are mentally satisfied with taking that action, you won’t spend as much time on the what if’s. On the exceedingly rare occasion that you discharge your weapon in your home, at a living breathing human, your ears are not even on the checklist.

It is important to differentiate between a burglar and a home invasion. A burglar doesn’t want to meet you. He wants to steal your stuff and get away without ever coming in contact with you. On the off chance that you are in bed while a burglar is in your home, you pursuing him without training is probably not going to work out well. He may be scared off by your presence, or escalate his actions. You just don’t know.

As has been said before, a home invasion is a whole different thing, and drugs just add to the violence that will occur. If that dude invades your home, knowing you are there, you don’t want to worry about shot placement with an inferior caliber. You may be lucky to get one shot off, much less hit center mass. You want to stop him as quickly as possible with as few shots as possible. In a home invasion, so many things have already gone wrong, that every one of your actions could be considered flying blind and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
714 Posts
prob 2nd most reliable
View attachment 432524
not mine but have one by bed.

:ROFLMAO: talk about LOUD :ROFLMAO: these are loud even with muffs on o_O can't imagine ever shooting mine indoors with no protection !!
Good thing is, even if you miss, the bad guy is likely to **** his pants & bail - downside is where did that round end up & how much collateral damage did it cause.

Reactions: hauki

·
Registered
Sig P365sas
33 Posts
I came across an older M19 Combat Mag. Nickel Plated in mint condition. Had to have it, where as I had a blue steel 4" yrs ago but unfortunately it DEPARTED. GLAD to Find an Old Classic & have some HOGUE'S ordered for it. Most Reliable NITE Stand Piece.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i guess loud is relative.. w the right load, maybe less loud.. defense rounds usually don't make it through stuff.. but reliable seemed to be the most important qualification in the question.. loud is loud, is loud, imo.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
300blk pistol w/suppressor and subsonic ammo

I hated shooting subsonic ammo with the 300blk I had because supersonic ammo shot so well out of it out to 250 yards. But you don't need 250 yards of range inside your home and it should be easy point and shoot inside with a rifle

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I was initially going to swap out one of my uppers for 300 blk but then saw the cost of the ammo and started thinking about either a dedicated 22lr upper, cmmg conversion kit or complete 22lr ar pistol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wouldn’t go .22LR, but if I did it would be a Ruger 10/22 with the 25-round magazine loaded with CCI hollowpoints. Quick handling carbine.

Otherwise, I’m using one of my pistols. Plan is to get a suppressor for my Sig P220 as .45 ACP is already subsonic.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
i suppose options are limited by where you live.
you can get an airgun that delivers up to 90 ft/lbs of energy and can be legally moderated to be ear safe in most states.
quite frankly though, i wouldn't trust my life on one if i had better options, ear safe or not.

Reactions: hauki

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
“Indoor ear friendly” is irrelevant in the context of home self defense. Surviving is the ONLY relevant point. Firearms are inherently loud. If your ears ring for a while after having defeated a life threatening threat, so be it. Focus. If I’m attacked outside during daylight hours I’m not going to concern myself with what level sunscreen I’m wearing. Living to see another day is my ONLY concern and all else is subordinate.

·
🎖USN Retired
7,483 Posts
As someone stated earlier, your ears go into suppressive noise on their own. Auditory Exclusion. I am not a combat guy, but everyone has experienced in something I am sure. Think about when you shot off firecrackers etc, M80s.
Not the same, but you get the idea.
I am committed to the weapons I have in home.. Hearing sux anyways, but, a life is far more important then not being able to hear very good...

·
🎖USA Veteran
4,798 Posts
There have been studies that show in a stressful situation you won't even notice the noise. So shoot what you are confident in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Anecdotal and yet personal experience says you are exactly right. No ear ringing, no loud report, just a muffled sound and a push on your hand;)

·
Premium Member
12,962 Posts
But also something for the possible near future....if the ATF gets the eForm system working for silencers the way it's supposed to, then you could take possession of a new silencer in 90-ish days instead of 10+ months like before. Lots of compact 9mm cans out there like the Silencerco Omega 9K. If you're in a state that allows for AR pistols, you can put together a very compact and handy package with a silencer. Even if you use say a 4.5" barrel, it may be easier to handle and stabilize overall than a regular handgun with a silencer. It won't be 'movie silent', but out will certainly be workable and less damaging to your hearing in the long run should you survive the encounter.

I recently got my SBR tax stamp but have a while to go on a recent silencer...the aforementioned Omega 9K.

But altogether if a silencer isn't an option I would strongly suggest a 9mm pistol caliber carbine or 'pistol' with a barrel of at least 10", as a lot of 9mm powder is burned up by then and the blast isn't as much as even a regular pistol, and certainly less than a shotgun or rifle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The sound of firing a handgun, shotgun or rifle indoors can be stunning. You might not notice the sound during a high stress situation, but it could also impact your ability to hear after the first shot.

Hearing protection could interfere with your ability to be situationally aware.

The best option is probably a suppressor and subsonic ammunition. Alternatively, a set of active hearing protectors next to your defense firearm could help if you have the tim, training and presence of mind to turn them on and put them on when responding to a problem.
^^^^^^
This. Had a ND of a deer rifle indoors, and not only was the immediate ringing reminiscent of movie effects (bomb going off), but my tinnitus is noticably worse as a result of the ND long term. One single shot changed things.

Note I was unloading the weapon and was safely pointing it away from everyone, but really wish I'd unloaded outside...

21 - 40 of 82 Posts