SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a g26 9mm with light/laser and extended mag with subsonic 150gr rounds as my primary home defense weapon. In my opinion, it is perfect with one exception - too loud to shoot indoors?

Thankfully, I have never had to shoot it in my home. But it got me thinking, is there a better alternative that is reliable, effective and indoor ear friendly?

I am not opposed to .22lr but am concerned about reliability.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
The sound of firing a handgun, shotgun or rifle indoors can be stunning. You might not notice the sound during a high stress situation, but it could also impact your ability to hear after the first shot.

Hearing protection could interfere with your ability to be situationally aware.

The best option is probably a suppressor and subsonic ammunition. Alternatively, a set of active hearing protectors next to your defense firearm could help if you have the tim, training and presence of mind to turn them on and put them on when responding to a problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a 22lr pistol with suppressor that feeds reliably? I kind of like the idea of an 8 or 10 shot revolver with say CCI quiet rounds. In the event of a misfire, you just pull the trigger again. The problem with a revolver though is no rail for mounting a light or laser.

·
🎖USAF Retired
3,818 Posts
Is there a 22lr pistol with suppressor that feeds reliably? I kind of like the idea of an 8 or 10 shot revolver with say CCI quiet rounds. In the event of a misfire, you just pull the trigger again. The problem with a revolver though is no rail for mounting a light or laser.
So you just want to make the intruder mad? Ditch the 22 idea.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you just want to make the intruder mad? Ditch the 22 idea.
I know that plenty of people say this but I can't imagine that anybody will continue to break in or come after me after hearing a gun fired or receiving a few shots of 22. Have you ever been hit with a 22?

·
Registered
Sig P365sas
33 Posts
I agree with andy105, however Rifle first, nite stand pistol as Bk-Up. Like the Forum discusses: don't Sacrifice CALIBER for Effectiveness. Wepon mounted lite NICE & hand held STROBE if U have the time.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
First I agree with an effective caliber. I have witnessed an indoor 9mm discharge and while startling, it wasn't terrible. I can't imagine reaching for earmuffs if someone was breaking into my home.
Second, 22 magnum leaves a big hole in a water jug. Something like my Taurus Tracker with 9 rounds in 22 magnum would be an alternative for someone who could not handle a larger caliber. It is loud, but not like a 9 mm or larger caliber.
Third a 22 AR pistol holds a lot of rounds, is reliable and can look intimidating.
Revolver Wood Line Office ruler Trigger
Font Rectangle Wood Motor vehicle Religious item

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First I agree with an effective caliber. I have witnessed an indoor 9mm discharge and while startling, it wasn't terrible. I can't imagine reaching for earmuffs if someone was breaking into my home.
Second, 22 magnum leaves a big hole in a water jug. Something like my Taurus Tracker with 9 rounds in 22 magnum would be an alternative for someone who could not handle a larger caliber. It is loud, but not like a 9 mm or larger caliber.
Third a 22 AR pistol holds a lot of rounds, is reliable and can look intimidating.
View attachment 432509 View attachment 432510
Are you pleased with the SW 15-22 pistol? I was thinking about getting one of these or a Tippmann.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I currently have a g26 9mm with light/laser and extended mag with subsonic 150gr rounds as my primary home defense weapon. In my opinion, it is perfect with one exception - too loud to shoot indoors?

Thankfully, I have never had to shoot it in my home. But it got me thinking, is there a better alternative that is reliable, effective and indoor ear friendly?

I am not opposed to .22lr but am concerned about reliability.

Thoughts?
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Terrestrial animal Grass

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd forget about the noise level.....just get as long of a barrel as is "practical" - 4" is better than 2" for noise- but inside it's going to be loud anyway. You may never ever use it.....so don't sacrifice getting the job done- just to lower the noise level a little. Absolutely not worth sweating over.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about the noise if you have to shoot indoors for home defense. Use the weapon or weapons you feel confident in using and the ammo you feel will stop the threat.

Any account of a home defense shooting that I read about no one mentioned the gun shot noise. There may be a account of one I’m just not aware of.

I don’t know for sure but depending on your home it wouldn’t be as loud as a indoor range. There isn’t much to absorb the sound at a indoor range like carpeting and furniture.

There are many things in a home to absorb and deflect sound. I’m not saying it won’t be loud just not as loud as a indoor range. I’m just speculating because I’ve never shot in my home.

A gunshot is a sound albeit a very very very loud sound so I would say it would be absorbed and deflected by objects in a home like any sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ruger Mark IV. Empty the clip to the center of mass and you'll leave a mark.

Maybe a 3" or 4" revolver chambered in .38 Special?

More than likely any home defense situation is going to be loud regardless of gunfire. You'll be yelling, the bad guy will be yelling, family members will be screaming. I agree that odds are likely the noise of a gun discharging won't be heard. I really wouldn't be concerned with disturbing the neighbors.

Go with what you are comfortable with and practice, practice, practice. It will help you get through high stress situations a lot better. If you opt for a 22LR, it's all about shot placement and the more practice, the better you become making that shot.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Are you pleased with the SW 15-22 pistol? I was thinking about getting one of these or a Tippmann.
100% satisfied. The Tippmann’s are highly recommended also. I’ve never handled a Tippmann, so I looked closely at them on line, but there wasn’t a dealer in my state. The LGS had this “used” M&P 15-22 at a discount, plus the red dot was already on it. So, I could not turn it down! My understanding is that Tippmann’s are more metal and heavier. Some people like the extra weight and say it is closer to a standard AR rifle. I like the light weight of the Smith and Wesson 15-22. I can carry it all day. There is no recoil so weight is not a factor. I’d recommend it.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I’ve always thought the sound of a 12 gauge Mossberg being racked is a fairly good deterrent, and it’s not very loud… 😎

1 - 20 of 82 Posts