SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might think that going to California, Texas or New York exposes you to a lot of crime. But in fact it was Tennessee that had the nation’s highest violent crime rate last year.The FBI's latest statewide statistics offer a snapshot of the underside of the 50 states: where violent crime is most likely to occur. According to the FBI, violent crime includes murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault. 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the states with the highest rates of violent crime in the country.
The Most Dangerous States in America - 24/7 Wall St.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Because of declining economic conditions crime goes up across the board.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in a small town in southern middle TN and I would agree that most of the crime is concentrated in the Big 5 cities(Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga and Clarksville), but my small town has seen its fair share of crime. It's located near Huntsville, AL which is notorious for crime. The very reason everyone should be carrying!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just looked at 3 of their top 10 lists, Violent crimes, Gun crimes, and Cities with soaring crime rates. I am shocked Illinois\Chicago made none of the top 10 lists.

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
I just looked at 3 of their top 10 lists, Violent crimes, Gun crimes, and Cities with soaring crime rates. I am shocked Illinois\Chicago made none of the top 10 lists.
Two reasons:

They hide it, doesn't happen, what are you talking about? This is what the Dems in charge will say or do, it's the Chicago way. Imagine Jay Carney explaining crime in Chicago.

And since I worked crime analysis 20 years ago I know the FBI's reporting criteria doesn't match with IL reporting so a significant percentage of certain crime is under reported, by significant I mean 15-20% but don't qoute me it's been almost 20 years.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Unfortunately in states like California, and New York, a lot of violent crimes aren't reported. People don't see the police as being helpful, just looking to get the info and run off to the next call. Some people have just learned to accept crime and let it happen, because it happens so often they just live with it and are afraid if they do something even worse will come to them.
Criminals are lazy, and if they feel they can get away with something easy then they will do it. I hear of situations where a burglar was shot taking a TV, and the homeowner is made to look like the bad person, because "it was only a TV". Then I hear of situations where a homeowner calls the police, and a suspect is arrested. Then the homeowner is attacked or their property is attacked. Many people feel that no matter what they do they are wrong, so they do nothing, and continue to be victims without reporting it.
Stats never tell the whole story.

·
Premium Member
39,143 Posts
I remember about 10 years ago, in I think SC. A man died of 23 gun shot wounds and was declared a suicide. That is the biggest reason crime is down, it just isn't reported as crime.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's because of the way the pole was calculated. Libs are doing anything they can to take the attention off violent crimes commited in places like Miami, L.A., Chicago, & N.Y.C. where they already have insanely strict gun laws that aren't working. They discussed this on the news last night. Insted of calculating the number of violent crimes per population, they decided to factor it around the population of higher college education & average income of the areas with violence & it affected the outcome of the pole. It would be like trying to compare the crime rate among 12 year old kids & 21 year old adults. When you change around the way you calculate something, you can always control the outcome.

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
I live in a small town in southern middle TN and I would agree that most of the crime is concentrated in the Big 5 cities(Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga and Clarksville), but my small town has seen its fair share of crime. It's located near Huntsville, AL which is notorious for crime. The very reason everyone should be carrying!
WOW! I had better get myself an armored vehicle!

I've lived, worked and shopped in The Rocket City for over 25 years. Like many cities, we have our "projects" where you shouldn't be out a night, and areas where skin of light pigments are not welcome, but for the most part, I only have to worry about "cell phone drivers" and old people driving the wrong way on I565!!!

I've never even heard gunfire (though it does occur occasionally, like anywhere else - generally in "the projects"). On the other hand, I was in a nice area of Nashville, with a nice big shopping mall, nice eating joints, car dealerships, and right at the top of the hill, a high-rise, low-income appartment building beginning that area's "projects". Got out with the wife to go to a fabric store in broad daylight and heard multiple medium-caliber gun fire exchanged.

Huntsville has never been on Cops and other crime video shows. But cities in TN have more times than I can count.

And I wouldn't go anywhere in Detroit, Michigan without an Abrams tank.

·
🎖USA Veteran
56,503 Posts
Two reasons:

They hide it, doesn't happen, what are you talking about? This is what the Dems in charge will say or do, it's the Chicago way. Imagine Jay Carney explaining crime in Chicago.

And since I worked crime analysis 20 years ago I know the FBI's reporting criteria doesn't match with IL reporting so a significant percentage of certain crime is under reported, by significant I mean 15-20% but don't qoute me it's been almost 20 years.
thanks for that

·
Banned
750 Posts
Tennessee ranks so high because of Memphis. Memphis is an absolute dump and should be avoided at all costs. There's a reason why the Mall of Murder, eeeeeeerrrrr, I mean Mall of Memphis shut down.

To put it in perspective, Memphis and Nashville have nearly the same population size. As of 2012, Memphis had double the number of murders and burglaries as Nashville.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I currently live in Michigan and Flint and Detroit have the highest murder rates. Would only venture to Detroit carrying my handgun now that I have my CPL.

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
Tennessee ranks so high because of Memphis. Memphis is an absolute dump and should be avoided at all costs. There's a reason why the Mall of Murder, eeeeeeerrrrr, I mean Mall of Memphis shut down.

To put it in perspective, Memphis and Nashville have nearly the same population size. As of 2012, Memphis had double the number of murders and burglaries as Nashville.
It is always Memphis or Nashville on any of the reality cop shows in TN.
Memphis by far the worst.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It is always Memphis or Nashville on any of the reality cop shows in TN.
Memphis by far the worst.
As long as it's not the greater Knoxville area. That is my intended destination when I get to escape Illinoisikstan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
WOW! I had better get myself an armored vehicle!

I've lived, worked and shopped in The Rocket City for over 25 years. Like many cities, we have our "projects" where you shouldn't be out a night, and areas where skin of light pigments are not welcome, but for the most part, I only have to worry about "cell phone drivers" and old people driving the wrong way on I565!!!

I've never even heard gunfire (though it does occur occasionally, like anywhere else - generally in "the projects"). On the other hand, I was in a nice area of Nashville, with a nice big shopping mall, nice eating joints, car dealerships, and right at the top of the hill, a high-rise, low-income appartment building beginning that area's "projects". Got out with the wife to go to a fabric store in broad daylight and heard multiple medium-caliber gun fire exchanged.

Huntsville has never been on Cops and other crime video shows. But cities in TN have more times than I can count.

And I wouldn't go anywhere in Detroit, Michigan without an Abrams tank.

Huntsville is no different than any other city meaning that there are "good" areas and "bad" areas. The bad areas I do try to avoid, but I worked two years in Huntsville and I was in some dicey areas to say the least! Sure there are other cities, bigger and smaller that are worse, but lets call a spade a spade! The local news is always reporting various crimes including shootings. I mean who puts the "hood" in the middle of the medical district? I ALWAYS carry! Especially in larger cities like Huntsville and Nashville. Just sayin......

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you check out Washington DC the violent crime rate is TRIPLE Tennessee! Three times the rate of the worse state when you look at violent crime per 100k:

FBI ? Table 4

·
Registered
209 Posts
As long as it's not the greater Knoxville area. That is my intended destination when I get to escape Illinoisikstan.
I live in a small town about 1 1/2 hours from Knoxville, but I love to visit there often. Knoxville has a few good gun shops, every type of restaurant you could imagine, & plenty of night life. If you move there, you'll learn quick the areas you don't drive through at night, especially if you're white, but it's nowhere near as bad as Nashville. A big plus IMO is Knoxville's only about an hour from the Great Smoky Mountains (Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Out of the Big 5 cities in TN, the only two I've spent time in other than just passing through is Nashville and Clarksville and to be honest, I think Clarksville is the worse of the two. Just Google the Baskin Robbins and Taco Bell murders that happened there in '94 and '97! I haven't been there since '96 and have no plans to go back! What a $#!+ hole!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.