SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reloading 9mm for about 25 years and made a pretty comprehensive study of bullets, powders, loads, etc. My goal was to find a load that worked well is all my 9MMs with differing barrel lengths, rifling, etc.

My conclusion is that a 115 gr. plated or jacketed bullet at 1150 fps minimum came closest to the ideal load. It's accurate and reliable.

Need to be careful with plated bullets because not all are created equal. Plating thickness can vary from 0.003" up to 0.012". Jacketed bullets range from about 0.017" to 0.032". Lead tends to be soft.

My favorite powder is Alliant Power Pistol. Yes it tends to be loud and flashy but that's OK for the range and competition. Loads range from 6.0 to 6.5 depending on whether the bullet is plated or jacketed, and also depending on the bullet diameter.

What are your favorite 9MM loads?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I stopped loading 115 grain a few years back. I focus on 124 now and have had good luck with BE86. Haven't shot at paper in a while just steel plates.

I had a great paper target load years ago with AA5 and the 124. The stuff got hard to find for a while and I am finally getting back around to loading it up. Not a competition shooter but I surely notice a load that doesn't shoot straight.

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,032 Posts
I will add just a tidbit. I found the 115 gr. FMJ bullets from Precision Delta to suit my needs best primarily using Unique powder. Why go for more expensive reloads when you are simply range shooting.

I can see others who are shooting competitively dialing in on what is best for a specific pistol.

I am generically batch reloading since at my age the least accurate part is not necessarily the ammunition or the firearm.

·
Registered
17,951 Posts
115 Grain Plated, Frontier or Berry's or X-Treme, 4.5 Grains of Bullseye Powder or 5 Grains of Unique with the same bullets.

Not too critical unless you're shooting Bullseye competition or perhaps Silhouette.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
115 Grain Plated, Frontier or Berry's or X-Treme, 4.5 Grains of Bullseye Powder or 5 Grains of Unique with the same bullets.

Not too critical unless you're shooting Bullseye competition or perhaps Silhouette.
I really like Frontier bullets, but they are a little hard to find at times. X-Treme are also good. Both are "thick plate".

I use Bullseye for all my cast (i.e., .45ACP) reloads. I never use cast in my 9MM.

I've settled on Bullseye for cast reloads and Power Pistol for plated/jacketed reloads. Got tired of having "47 varieties" of powder.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Not one brand of ammo will be the most accurate in ALL 9 mm pistols. It is best to try as many factory loads as you afford to find the best load in weight and finish. I fall els fails you do have empty brass to reload. I have three Sig 9 mm pistols and the ''all around '' for them seems to be the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr and the 124 gr Sig load in 2nd place if this helps. Never tried any of the Federal or Hornady loads so I can't comment on them.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not one brand of ammo will be the most accurate in ALL 9 mm pistols. It is best to try as many factory loads as you afford to find the best load in weight and finish. I fall els fails you do have empty brass to reload. I have three Sig 9 mm pistols and the ''all around '' for them seems to be the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr and the 124 gr Sig load in 2nd place if this helps. Never tried any of the Federal or Hornady loads so I can't comment on them.
I am at the point where factory 9MM ammo is used, almost exclusively, for self defense. Just about all my range and competition shooting is done with my own reloads. To be honest, I don't see that factory ammo is any more accurate than my reloads, and often less so. As I mentioned earlier, I've been testing for about 25 years. I think I've gotten it close to right.

I might be able to fine tune a load for a particular pistol, but I don't think the benefit would be worth the trouble.

Besides, if I had to shoot factory ammo, especially Speer or SIG, I couldn't afford to shoot as much as I do.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everglades Ammunition has some outstanding prices on bullets.

Just be careful. The bullets marked "Made in the USA" are pretty high quality; uniform diameter, weight and ogive. The bullets NOT marked "Made in the USA" are made who-knows-where and not as uniform; good enough for practice and most everything else except bullseye.

If you are finicky stick with the made in US stuff.

·
Registered
17,951 Posts

Just be careful. The bullets marked "Made in the USA" are pretty high quality; uniform diameter, weight and ogive. The bullets NOT marked "Made in the USA" are made who-knows-where and not as uniform; good enough for practice and most everything else except bullseye.

You're probably right about the majority of bullets, but not Frontier as they are absolute top of the line quality.

And they're made in South Africa.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Frontier is ABSOLUTELY top quality! I find their bullets to be very consistent!

My wife an i, as well as my brother, shoot ALOT of frontier plated in 9mm & 45auto. We get excellent accuracy from their 9/45 cal bullets.

Our 9mm load is Hodgdon CFE-Pistol w4.9grs and OAL 1.150 (124gr FMJ type bullet)
Our 45autos are Hodgdon TiteGroup w/5.0grs and OAL 1.200 (200gr FP type bullet)

If this data i posted is used by anyone, use at YOUR OWN RISK...!!!
I take no responsibility for your errors & actions. You`ve been FULLY warned!

·
Banned
1,470 Posts

Everglades isn`t as good on prices as they once use to be. One of the main reasons i stopped buying from them. And when they`d send me a flyer in my email for "on-sale" items, i`d go to order it and they would not have it in stock, even though i was within minutes of the "sale" flyer coming out.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I was getting awesome groups out of a couple CZ's with this two combos.

124G Round Nose
4.8 of N340
1.135 OAL
1100 FPS velocity

147G Ibeji Head
3.2 TiteGroup
1.135 OPAL
850 FPS (Subsonic)

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
I was getting awesome groups out of a couple CZ's with this two combos.

124G Round Nose
4.8 of N340
1.135 OAL
1100 FPS velocity

147G Ibeji Head
3.2 TiteGroup
1.135 OPAL
850 FPS (Subsonic)
I like your 147 load. Whats the hottest you`ve ever run your 147 loads at?
Ive got some 9mm plated 147 frontier flat points i`d like to find a load for. Any suggested load data...?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You're probably right about the majority of bullets, but not Frontier as they are absolute top of the line quality.

And they're made in South Africa.
I agree about Frontier bullets being top quality.

I also really liked that, when I contacted them for recommended loads for a particular bullet and powder they responded with a min/ max.

Seems most bullet manufacturers will sidestep the question and refer you to the powder website.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
I agree about Frontier bullets being top quality.

I also really liked that, when I contacted them for recommended loads for a particular bullet and powder they responded with a min/ max.

Seems most bullet manufacturers will sidestep the question and refer you to the powder website.
Do you shoot any of their 9mm 147gr plated flat point bullets?
I`m trying to decide if its worth it for me to waste my time with the 9mm 147gr plated bullets.
I already have a tack driving load for the berrys plated 124gr, but lately, berrys prices are a little high compared to frontier.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you shoot any of their 9mm 147gr plated flat point bullets?
I`m trying to decide if its worth it for me to waste my time with the 9mm 147gr plated bullets.
I already have a tack driving load for the berrys plated 124gr, but lately, berrys prices are a little high compared to frontier.
The short answer is, NO, I use only 115 gr. plated or jacketed round nose bullets in my 9MM handguns. See below for the long answer.

After years of experimenting with 9MM reloads; bullets (plated, jacketed, no lead), powders, loads, etc., I came to the conclusion that 115 gr. JHP over 6.5 gr. of Power Pistol powder, was the most accurate load in all my 9MM pistols (SIG, Glock, Walther, CZ, Ruger). The bullet weight and configuration I think is important. I don't think the powder was as important as getting the velocity up to around 1150 FPS. But Power Pistol did work well for me so I've stuck with it.

Unfortunately, quality 115 gr. JHP have risen in price to the point that I don't use them. Now I use 115 gr. plated or jacketed round nose bullets. I try to use quality plated bullets like Frontier or X-Treme. Plated bullets are not all the same. Plating can vary from 0.003" to 0.012". Since the lead used is typically soft, and we are driving the bullets over the speed of sound, thick plate works best.

I still use 6.5 gr. of Power Pistol for jacketed bullets. I drop this to 6.0 - 6.2 gr. for plated bullets.

I've reloaded and shot literally tens of thousands; always performed well.

Probably more than you wanted to know.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.