SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about a .22 as my next purchase..

Looking for:

A gun I can use to hone my aim

Something my wife and (15 year old) daughter can shoot ( for the first time and not get all worried about recoil etc)

I've read both good and bad ( mostly bad) about the mosquito

Help me out here....

I am a new shooter and new to sig.

I own a P226 and a sig 1911... Both of which are excellent guns.

How can a mosquito be bad????

I love sig with but the mosquito seems to be an exception....

My gun buddies say buy a Ruger Mk 4.... For a .22

Suggestions?

Yes... This would be gun 3 in 3 months... Consider me an addict..

Hello... My name is Doug....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
HI DOUG... :D

I personally don't have the experience with the Mosquito to help with your decision to purchase one. I too was looking to purchase a .22 pistol for my wife and wanted to stay with the Sig brand. We became a Sig family over the last 5 years after purchasing a 516, p320, and a Sig suppressor.

I believe Sig makes some awesome products, but like you, I heard on the interwebs that the Mosquito had some issues for people. Also, I read that Sig didn't even make it either. A third party manufacturer apparently makes it and Sig puts their name on it.

I know I shouldn't let what the online "first tier armchair operators" say about a product sway me away from it, but just didn't have a good feeling about it. I didn't want to make a purchase, have my wife try it, then regret doing so when she/we experience issues. I was trying to help her to get into firearms again, and didn't want her to be frustrated with it and have no more interest in shooting.

I ended up getting her a Ruger SR22. I didn't find any issues online with it like the Mosquito. My wife liked the style of it too. There are a lot of good options out there that we were looking at: Walther P22, Smith & Wesson M&P 22, Ruger Mark IV, etc. We liked the SR22.

Good luck to you in your quest.

·
Registered
720 Posts
There are to many horror stories about the Mosquito from FTF, FTE, being picky on ammo selection, cracked slides on high round guns. I own one and never shoot it because multiple FTE problems even with CCI Ammo. I should just sell it at this point and take a loss.

I highly recommend a Ruger MK III or the IV. or even the 22/45. If you don't mind learning how to disassemble and reassemble the MK III, there are some killer deals on them right now. I've seen the 22/45 MK III listed for $250 online and my LGS has the listed at $300. Or the MK IV are going from around $400 now and much easier to clean.

I have a few MK III and one with close to 50K rounds and it still runs like a champ.

If you want more of a tradition 22LR Pistol frame, the S&W M&P compact is another great to learn on. Or look for factory P229 22LR, same frame as the P229 and you can run any of the larger caliber slides on it. I don't believe Sig sells them any longer and I picked one up a few years ago for $400.

The Ruger is a great platform to plink with. Buy lots of mags and have fun. I shoot my Rugers more than any guns I have.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
The mosquito isn't really a SIG it's made by GSG. It's also no longer available as a SIG branded gun, it's sold as a Firefly by ATI. My suggestion is leave it on the shelf and safe yourself the headache. Like previously recommended, there are many better options that fit your needs and have a stellar reputation. Ruger MK III or IV, Browning Buckmark, Smith and Wesson m&p 22 to name a few.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Also, I read that Sig didn't even make it either. A third party manufacturer apparently makes it and Sig puts their name on it.
Correct, manufactured by GSG with the Sig name.. GSG is still manf them as the Firefly and imported by ATI. You can pick one up for < $200 now.

I see new Sig Mosquito selling online for $180 now. I assume this is the last batch that Sig had.

I still can't believe that the Sig name and $180 are in the same sentence.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Sig didn't make it, so don't assume that it is the normal high quality product.
Look at a Browning 1911-22. They are a fantastic gun, easy and a ball of fun to shoot, and ultra reliable. I've got 2000+ rounds through mine without the first failure or issue.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I became interested in having a .22 semi automatic and, like you, I read stories of problems with the Mosquito. The more I read the more convinced I became that those who were having problems seemed to insist on shooting whatever ammo they wanted to shoot. Those who were shooting high velocity ammo like the CCI Mini Mags generally seemed to be pretty happy with the pistol.
I searched on my LGS's web site for Mosquito and up came the FireFly, and I learned that German Sport Guns had made the Mosquito for SIG and now made the same pistol as the FireFly. It was a great looking gun and was under $250 out the door. I couldn't resist.
It is 90% of the size of a 226 and really fits the hand nicely. I have fired about 550 rounds through mine; some CCI Mini Mags and some Browning BPR 40gr round nose (a little higher velocity than the CCIs) and some Browning BPR 40gr lead hollow points (a lot higher velocity than the CCIs). I've had a few FTFs and a few FTEs, but not enough to upset me. The slide has never failed to lock back after the last round and I really enjoy shooting mine.
The CCIs cost me about 9 cents a round and the BPR round nose about 6.5 cents per round. I don't need to get ammo that is cheaper than that. We've just moved to Texas and I look forward to stocking up on BPRs and having a good time at the range.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If you want to stay Sig they make a .22 version of the P938. I do not have any experience with it. I generally like to start new shooters with a DA .22 revolver like a S&W mod 63 for smaller hands or a K17 Masterpiece for bigger hands. Once they've mastered SAFETY and basic pistol marksmanship then move to an autoloader.

If your budget allows, the S&W mod 41 is about as good as it gets for a .22 auto target pistol. They were out of production for several years then S&W started making them again. I do not know how the newer ones compare to the older ones, but the older ones like mine are absolutely superb.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have do not own one but I can recommend the S & W 22C. I have two with one that has over 36,000 rounds through it. I bought it for my wife when she started to learn to shoot. It's not ammo sensitive and easy to break down and clean. Since I bought it we shoot around 400 rounds a week with it. It's also a great trainer for the M & P Shield 9mm. You can pick one up for around $300.00.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I personally don't have the experience with the Mosquito to help with your decision to purchase one. I too was looking to purchase a .22 pistol for my wife and wanted to stay with the Sig brand. We became a Sig family over the last 5 years after purchasing a 516, p320, and a Sig suppressor.

I believe Sig makes some awesome products, but like you, I heard on the interwebs that the Mosquito had some issues for people. Also, I read that Sig didn't even make it either. A third party manufacturer apparently makes it and Sig puts their name on it.

I know I shouldn't let what the online "first tier armchair operators" say about a product sway me away from it, but just didn't have a good feeling about it. I didn't want to make a purchase, have my wife try it, then regret doing so when she/we experience issues. I was trying to help her to get into firearms again, and didn't want her to be frustrated with it and have no more interest in shooting.

I ended up getting her a Ruger SR22. I didn't find any issues online with it like the Mosquito. My wife liked the style of it too. There are a lot of good options out there that we were looking at: Walther P22, Smith & Wesson M&P 22, Ruger Mark IV, etc. We liked the SR22.

Good luck to you in your quest.
Thank you.

Will look into that Ruger!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the great info and suggestion!!!

I knew I posted on the correct place!

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,622 Posts
Basspraiser, there is also the .22 conversion units. I know that Sig is / has discontinued the P250, the somewhat predecessor to your P320, which is DAO, instead of stryker fired. Sigs website still show the model: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p250-22-nitron-compact.html

CDNN has them at a pretty good price I believe: https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-p250c-22lr.html?___SID=U

Or since you have a P226 already, there's the conversion kit for it: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p226-22lr-conversion-kit.html

These conversion units can be "picky" concerning ammunition, so options recommended by the others may be more to your liking, such as the Ruger .22 pistols, for one.

The only advantage with the conversions, is the commonality with your center fire models.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Your mileage may vary. I own the Mosquito/Firefly, and it was the perfect pistol to introduce my daughter to shooting. It's not a very refined gun, BUT perfect for an intro to gun safety and handling. It has a very heavy double action trigger pull, followed by a moderate single action pull. The trigger is gritty in both modes, but it allows young shooters to concentrate on good trigger control. The controls are a combination of traditional SIG standards -- i.e., decocker, and takedown lever, as well as non-traditional controls such as a slide mounted safety and magazine release safety. All in all -- it's one of the safest firearms out there.

Once my daughter had mastered that Mosquito, she was able to shoot and manipulate the controls on my SP2022 and P225 like a champ.

As far as reliability is concerned, out of the box the Mosquito has a few problems. The first few hundred rounds were plagued by FTF and FTE issues. Many of those issues were resolved by changing ammo and installing the lighter slide spring (included with the Mosquito in the factory case). Even with the light slide spring, my pistol had serious problems with bulk Federal Champion ammo -- it often just doesn't have the "oomph" to make the slide fully cycle. Other bulk ammo seemed to work just fine -- most of the time. The entire FTF and FTE issue went away after around 1000 rounds, when the pistol started to loosen up. Many of the FTE issues are mostly due to sticking cases caused by dirty cheap ammo. At the range, I quickly run a brush through the barrel after around 100 rounds and the cases will eject easily after that. I also keep is well lubed, and after over 10000 rounds the Mosquito has been ultra reliable (I still stay away from cheap Fed. Champion bulk ammo). It's an inexpensive gun and it feels like it. However, for target practice, plinking, and introducing someone to pistol shooting; it's the perfect platform.

I still shoot 100 rounds of cheap Federal Automatch, Remington Thunderbolt and Golden Bullet ammo through this gun every time I'm at the range -- and it's always a lot of fun to shoot.

Good luck!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would go with a Walther PPQ in 22lr. I trained my wife using this gun then when she was ready she moved to a 9mm PPQ. I buy stainless Sigs and they are too heavy for her so this worked out well.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Basspraiser, there is also the .22 conversion units. I know that Sig is / has discontinued the P250, the somewhat predecessor to your P320, which is DAO, instead of stryker fired. Sigs website still show the model: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p250-22-nitron-compact.html

CDNN has them at a pretty good price I believe: https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-p250c-22lr.html?___SID=U

Or since you have a P226 already, there's the conversion kit for it: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p226-22lr-conversion-kit.html

These conversion units can be "picky" concerning ammunition, so options recommended by the others may be more to your liking, such as the Ruger .22 pistols, for one.

The only advantage with the conversions, is the commonality with your center fire models.
Thanks... Thought about the conversion kits but... As you said... They can be picky and I'm not sure I want to keep converting my P226 back and forth.....

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Go with a conversion kit for the centerfire Sigs. Or a BuckMark.

I bought a Mosquito when they first came out. After the first range session with multiple FTFs//FTEs in each mag, Sig replaced it. With MiniMags it works fine now. I haven't tried standard velocity ammo in it, nor plan too. But when I use my BuckMark, the Browning runs circles around it in performance.

But between the gun having issues and the GSG Firefly selling low, it looks like I'm stuck with it or have to take a huge bath to sell it.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Thanks... Thought about the conversion kits but... As you said... They can be picky and I'm not sure I want to keep converting my P226 back and forth.....
It takes seconds to swap slides with the factory conversion. I have a couple for my P220's a love them.

Only thing you need to know up front about the kits is, they do NOT lock the slide to the rear after the last shot. It's NOT an issue - or at least has never been a problem with either of mine.

I use them to train new to firearms students so they can use a real defensive level platform, without being recoil or blast shy. Once they master firing, they move up to .45 with the same "gun".

Then there's this highly modified Ruger MK III. SA trigger is under a pound...:eek:

Attachments

Reactions: asdfzxcv
1 - 20 of 29 Posts