SIG Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys & Gals,

I have a Sig 516 from ~2012 that I love and is setup with a Geisselle trigger, ACOG/RMR combo on top, and a Surefire muzzlebrake on the end to host a Surefire suppressor. The one issue I've had over the years is accuracy, in that not matter what ammo I try, I'm generally around 2" groups at 100 yards. So the question:

Is there a better barrel available for this (16-18" length) that will allow me to retain the factory piston setup? If not, is it convertible to DGI? I'd like to keep the piston setup since I shoot suppressed, but my main goal is improving accuracy closer to MOA.

Thanks for y'alls help.

馃帠USN Retired
As far as I know, there is no direct barrel replacement. But, I am sure it can be done if a company has a barrel on hand to make one to fit. I think it is the barrel nut that is the only issue though.
But, converting to DI is easy, just swap the entire upper with another upper that is DI.

馃帠USN Retired
I was going to say, get a real accurate round, Black Hills 262 for example. Then reevaluate.

Reactions: wcoyne

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But, converting to DI is easy, just swap the entire upper with another upper that is DI.
Of course I can swap uppers, but that takes all the fun out of it :D

I was going to say, get a real accurate round, Black Hills 262 for example. Then reevaluate.
I've tried the full gamutt of FMJs from 55gr - 62gr. I've also tried a variety of Hornady in various size bullets, and Black Hills in 77gr. Don't mind trying other ammo, but at some point one just begins to wonder if its a component. My Wilson for example is sub-MOA with the Black Hills as is my Larue...

I think it is the barrel nut that is the only issue though.
What's unique about the barrel nut? Does it need a proprietary wrench?

Registered
The 516 is quite capable of sub moa. Firearms will work with a variety of ammo but will show a preference when checking accuracy.

Registered
I've gotten sub-moa with 77gr PMC x-tac match on mine but had less accuracy with everything else so far. I believe others are correct on the lack of barrel upgrades and am certain on the proprietary barrel but.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.