SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to modify the shape of the front of my trigger guard. I would like to heat (maybe) the leading edge of the guard and warp it slightly to accommodate my left index finger better. Similar to the Glocks, but not that extreme. Has anyone tried to do this? AND does anyone know the exact makeup of the polymer the grip module is made from?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Don't know if you have a standard or XL model. Replacement grip modules are available at Osage County guns for about $28 and 47 respectively , don't know why such a price difference.

No idea of the polymer involved, but if you do screw one up it is easily replaceable. I would remove the magazine release button and spring before heating though, if it were me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Honestly you'll just likely melt it and it become a sagging deformed drippy mess.

I would seriously look into how these grips are made and how that type of polymer takes to heat and it's melting points and such.

I'm not so sure you can just reshape them like play doe.

Sorry to be a negative nanny like that.

You're probably better off using a dremil and shaving it to reshape it I'd think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would seriously look into how these grips are made and how that type of polymer takes to heat and it's melting points and such.
That's why i was asking if anyone knows the exact makeup of the polymer the grip module is made from. If I knew that I would know if the material was heat workable or not.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I guess the index finger on the trigger guard is making a resurgence. Those of us who did this back in the day just put our finger on the guard.
The 365 isn't the most graceful thing, but it is a work of art compared to the Glock. ;)
Moon

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's why i was asking if anyone knows the exact makeup of the polymer the grip module is made from. If I knew that I would know if the material was heat workable or not.
I know people stipple them with a soldering iron so I do know it can be melted and reformed but stippling is more just the surface level refacing of it not necessarily reshaping the complete structure.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Might make finding a holster difficult.

What about grinding 1/4 of the total thickness off the part of the guard you want to rest your left index finger on then stipple or (what I'd do) add grip tape to that area.

I know the the trigger guard isn't all that thick but taking a 1/4 or even a 1/3 of it away wouldn't compromise the frames strength because the rails start back by the trigger.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Simple word. DON'T!!!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
the left index finger shouldn't go on the trigger guard anyway, flat trigger guards are to go on the covering wall edge, (barricade)mostly for shooting matches, not much help in the real world. And I think Glocks look much better with a rounder trigger guard. LOL

·
Registered
886 Posts
If the finger bouncing off is the issue, stippling would be the answer.
As mentioned, things have a habit of coming around again if you wait long enough; things like the weak hand index on the trigger guard.
Frankly, it makes more sense than the new high speed/lo drag thing with two thumbs up in the air.
Moon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts