SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an MK25 RX and am need of a threaded barrel for it. On the Sig website there are two threaded barrels available. Is the more expensive barrel that much better or will the cheaper one work just as well?

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/barrel-p226-9mm-126mm-chrome-phosphate-threaded.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/barrel-p226-9mm-threaded.html

Also, are there any other recommended upgrades to consider? Right now I'm looking at the E2 grips and possibly the SRT. Any thoughts? I sure wish Gray Guns would come out with a straight faced trigger for the P226 because the P320 straight trigger is great.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,062 Posts
The more expensive is chrome lined, as your original barrel is on the Mk25. The less expensive is not chrome lined, but it will work. Either may need to be fitted to your pistol, or may drop in without any fitting needed, if fitting is needed, it more than likely will be minimal.
Chrome lining will have a longer service life, but may not be as accurate, if match quality is desired, but depending on the suppressor's endcap/wipe(?), that may be a mute point.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more expensive is chrome lined, as your original barrel is on the Mk25. The less expensive is not chrome lined, but it will work. Either may need to be fitted to your pistol, or may drop in without any fitting needed, if fitting is needed, it more than likely will be minimal.
Chrome lining will have a longer service life, but may not be as accurate, if match quality is desired, but depending on the suppressor's endcap/wipe(?), that may be a mute point.
I wasn't aware of these needing to be fitted. Every other gun (P320-C-RX, SP2022) I've installed a threaded barrel in, it dropped in just fine. I'm guessing I will have to take my gun to a competent gunsmith to have this done? How will I tell if the barrel need to be fitted? In regard to suppressor used on this gun, it's an Osprey 45K, so maybe that will help give you a little more detail.

As for the E2 grip, will I have to install the new decocker with the grips or can I just leave the one that is currently on the gun? I'm wondering if I should just take this gun to a gunsmith to have everything done. Only thing is, I'm not sure there is one in Athens, GA that I trust.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
congratulations
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Also just got back my stamp so I can SBR my MCX, but now I'm having second thoughts. Since the MCX has been problematic with available parts, functionality (carriage assembly) and price increases, I might just get a refund on the stamp and pick up a Q Honey Badger this summer. And if I did that, then I might as well get their Fix, too. My wife would shoot me with one of these guns if that happened haha.

·
Registered
23,653 Posts
I wasn't aware of these needing to be fitted. Every other gun (P320-C-RX, SP2022) I've installed a threaded barrel in, it dropped in just fine. I'm guessing I will have to take my gun to a competent gunsmith to have this done? How will I tell if the barrel need to be fitted? In regard to suppressor used on this gun, it's an Osprey 45K, so maybe that will help give you a little more detail.

As for the E2 grip, will I have to install the new decocker with the grips or can I just leave the one that is currently on the gun? I'm wondering if I should just take this gun to a gunsmith to have everything done. Only thing is, I'm not sure there is one in Athens, GA that I trust.
It is rare that a SIG factory barrel has to be fitted. But they are not guaranteed to drop in without fitting. You can always try and if there are any issues, SIG would fit it for you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You should be able to drop the E2 grips on without issue.

If you buy a threaded barrel and it doesn't "fit", I'd buy a new locking insert before I spent the money to have it fitted.

Congratulations on your new pistol.

·
Registered
23,653 Posts
You should be able to drop the E2 grips on without issue.

If you buy a threaded barrel and it doesn't "fit", I'd buy a new locking insert before I spent the money to have it fitted.

Congratulations on your new pistol.
He isn't swapping calibers on an old P229; just non-threaded for threaded on a modern P226.

It isn't a simple switch of a locking insert. There could be numerous places where fitting might be required.

But again, it is rare that it is required with SIG factory barrels.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Armory Craft trigger is intriguing. Only thing I'm not sure I like about about it from just looking at it is the little ridge at the top of the trigger. It might be a non issue, but it looks like it could get in the way. Definitely worth considering.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The Armory Craft trigger is intriguing. Only thing I'm not sure I like about about it from just looking at it is the little ridge at the top of the trigger. It might be a non issue, but it looks like it could get in the way. Definitely worth considering.
That little ridge is the part of the flat trigger that controls and eliminates the pre-travel. In other word, it is there by design.

Hopefully, I will be able to get my hands on that trigger this Friday.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That little ridge is the part of the flat trigger that controls and eliminates the pre-travel. In other word, it is there by design.

Hopefully, I will be able to get my hands on that trigger this Friday.
Yeah, I was aware it was there by design, but just not sure if it's something I want. If you test it out let me know. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it functions.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Fitting is easy if it doesn't fit, but usually they do drop right in. I have several and never needed fitting. On my x5s, that's a different story.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone know if the new decocker has to be installed if I put the E2 grip on or if I can leave the one currently on the gun in place? Also, what about the hammer strut? It would be super convenient if I could just take off the old grips and snap the E2 on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.